Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked is over

by noiseredux Mon May 21, 2018 6:14 pm

No new memberships. No renewals once yours is over. We all knew it was too good to be true.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked is over

by dsheinem Mon May 21, 2018 6:48 pm

This makes me sad. My membership is good until December 2020, though, so hopefully they replace it with something similar between now and then.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Yeah, definitely sad. I think I'm covered for a year and a half. I saw a post over on CAG, though, that pretty much laid out why the thing is ending. Some guy was talking about buying and then trading back in over and over, amassing tons and tons of credit. Folks that abuse the system that way make life for us "normal" folks suck sometimes.

That being said, that may have just been in the noise for them, and this was never going to make them money. It was probably envisioned as a loss-leader to get folks in the stores or shopping on their website, and it didn't work out. Even Amazon's more limited offer when enrolled in Prime has extra limitations now, where the 20% discount will apply to some games and not apply to others.

I may actually upgrade my GameStop membership, though, to the Pro Elite tier. I buy enough there in pre-owned games to make up for the $30 hit, even in a year's time.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Mon May 21, 2018 11:40 pm

dsheinem wrote:This makes me sad. My membership is good until December 2020, though, so hopefully they replace it with something similar between now and then.

The most common theory is they are going to release another program with a lower discount and roll all the current GCU members into it so they don't have to honor the 20% discount or worry about refunding membership dues.

Figure there is a good chance that Amazon will drop their preorder discount or at least gimp it a bit now that their main reasons for doing it is gone.
Phades
64-bit

by Phades Tue May 22, 2018 6:35 pm

I'm actually a tiny bit glad about this..... $48 sounds way cheaper to me than $60 and I end up buying way too much stuff that I never play. This is going to push me more towards digital though.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
Return to Game Deals