Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Re: Taobao and Aliexpress deals, finds and purchases

by samsonlonghair Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am

Betagam7 wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply. I knew Felix wasn't a real Megadrive game, I just meant that I wasn't aware a pirate game had been made that ran on the system (I assumed it was some tie in phone game or something).

The handheld Megadrive that I own isn't the @tgames model (I'm not aware of one of those that has a cart port, only SD cards). It's a Chinese one called the Pocketgame MD. I believe it is made by the company Hamy.

Here's a link to one on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-HG-806-16Bit-S-EGA-MD-pocket-handheld-game-console-68in1-games-include-use/32283105170.html

I don't know if it has the same guts inside or not although it has wonky sound like all of these handheld megadrives. Any idea if the flashcart will work on that? I have a knockoff Gauntlet IV cart that plays just fine on it (also from Ali-express).

My main interest isn't really playing Megadrive games. I want to play Game Gear and Master System games on a handheld. I have a couple of the firecore game gear handhelds (see previous posts in this thread) but unless I've missed a trick somewhere these haven't been hacked to allow for extra games to be put on them....have they?

That handheld you linked reminds me of the GenMobile that was marketed by Hyperkin around 2009~ish and the RetroGen handhend that was marketed by Retrobit around the same time. Unfortunately, both of those consoles used the same at@games hardware on the inside.
I'm pretty keen on Sega hardware, and unfortunately most "Sega" hardware made between 2008-2017 has used the same "firecore" boards with arm processors by at@games without any significant advancement until at@games switched to an android-based solution just recently.

I wish I could say otherwise, but I'm guessing that whether it says Hamy, RetroBit, or Hyperkin, it's probably still at@games firecore on the inside.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:48 pm

I think Bill said they were looking to not use the trashy firecore setup possibly next year in the handheld. If they go the route of the HD tv version for a new core I'd buy that.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:16 am

Sarge wrote:Interestingly, necromfive (I think that's his name) has added an FM sound core to the X7. KRIKzz has integrated in to the official firmware, so that's cool. I'd be careful using firmware updates, though; not sure how well the pirate carts take to updates. And as mentioned, you're not going to get any support from KRIKzz.

That IS an interesting point, Sarge. I'm glad you mentioned necromfive's efforts. I think one would need the official real-deal Everdrive X7 from Krikzz to run that firmware update. I'm pretty sure such an update would not work at all on the pirate clone Everdrive MD that I bought. You were exactly right about that.

I hope this thing comes in the mail some time this year. I'm itching to try it out.
Tanooki wrote:I think Bill said they were looking to not use the trashy firecore setup possibly next year in the handheld. If they go the route of the HD tv version for a new core I'd buy that.

Who is Bill? Is he someone who works at at@games? Is Bill the guy that has been distorting Genesis music? Does he spit in the holy water in church too? Because what at@games does to Genesis music is sacrilegious! :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:45 am

A member at Atari Age. He works I believe on contract with them for various functions and recently got a promotion to do even more. He often discusses the ATGames devices (Gen and Atari mainly) in the AA area for dedicated systems if you care to peek. He lets out all sorts of early info on the side about what is/isn't in there, what they could/couldn't get for licensing or done in a model year for upgrades and stuff to look into for the future. Over there that HD Genesis and Atari(and 2600 Activision model too) were knowns many months before it showed up in the press. I had at one rate asked about the shoddy genesis handheld, and the 2017 model was only for the HD console, but they'd still sell the ghetto firecore beater console one more year and the same in the handheld format, but said they were discussing in 2018 releasing all using the new android/emulator core to bring them up to par.

So I held off buying that thing and when the revised handheld with the HD style guts inside hits where the games run right, saving isn't busted, and the audio isn't crap hits the market I'll buy it.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Are we talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcHZJwXUiE

because while Riggs seems a fan of it and the music in sonic 1 does seem to have improved a lot, the comments section is a lot more critical and claim that many of the previous atgames issues are still there.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Yes that's the original release that came out this year. There will be as always another release in another year (2018) and supposedly the handheld will eventually in this year benefit from this mass overhaul removing the garbage firecore setup.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:27 am

Betagam7 wrote:Are we talking about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImcHZJwXUiE

because while Riggs seems a fan of it and the music in sonic 1 does seem to have improved a lot, the comments section is a lot more critical and claim that many of the previous atgames issues are still there.

Yes, we talk in more detail about the Genesis Flashback HD here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51728

Long story short: The current software is unsatisfactory, but now that we know that the hardware runs android, we should be able to load better software on there in the future.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:17 am

So beta you seem to be #1 by far on this stuff here.

Gamate or Supervision, which do you feel was better. I know the hardware is fairly equal performance wise, both even running hacks of GB games too, and both having GB poor blur screens too.

They both seem fairly interesting, Gamate maybe a bit more since they liked to apparently jack Konami GB earlier titles (Gradius and TMNT1.) Both seem to have a somewhat squishy game release list as it's like some almost seem to be more words than proof.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:15 am

Tanooki wrote:So beta you seem to be #1 by far on this stuff here.

Gamate or Supervision, which do you feel was better. I know the hardware is fairly equal performance wise, both even running hacks of GB games too, and both having GB poor blur screens too.

They both seem fairly interesting, Gamate maybe a bit more since they liked to apparently jack Konami GB earlier titles (Gradius and TMNT1.) Both seem to have a somewhat squishy game release list as it's like some almost seem to be more words than proof.

If it's build quality then Gamate wins hands down. It's made of quality parts and will last. I took one of my Supervisions apart recently and what was inside was not fun to look at. I've heard tales of some having sellotape holding things in place! The supervision sounds like butts any way you listen to it. The Gamate sounds dreadful through it's speakers but converts to beautifully clear dual channel stereo via headphones.
The Supervision has a nice big screen and there is something endearing about the bendy model however 95% of the games I own on it really are appalling. I've reviewed some of them here if you want to get an overall feel:
http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/supervision.html

The Gamate's games, I'm less experienced with as I only own four. I've reviewed them here: http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/gamate.html
I'm waiting on a fifth as we speak (Snowman Legend - Well, it's nearly Xmas and all).

From a price point it will be far easier for you to pick up a Supervision. I've somehow managed to obtain two Gamate's for under £50 each on ebay but ordinarily they are priced around the $200 mark as they seem to be a lot rarer than the Supervision. Less is known about the software also but there was allegedly some decent stuff released in China near the end of its short lifespan. Games are also fairly expensive to pick up and you'l have to import most from Italy. Supervision games are easier to find and you can often get bundles of those horrible plastic encased ones that you have to slice open to get the game out.

Gamate games also come on little PC Engine style Hu Cards, which I like.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:14 am

I had a feeling. I hit a 4 page deal on the Gamate within a (UK based) Retro Gamer magazine special edition that is gaming hardware 1977-2001 and it was interesting. Mars Voyager for the Gamate is Nemesis/Gradius1 for GB slightly hacked, and TMNT is Super Boy or something like that with the turtles/foot swapped out and a couple other minor tweaks. It came off to me like Gamate was every bit as much as a wannabe GB so I figured I'd ask as I knew kind of where the Supervision stood being a bit more wide spread but seemingly more awful.
Return to Game Deals