Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: Taobao and Aliexpress deals, finds and purchases

by Betagam7 Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:17 am

Just a reminder that it's 11/11 so the SE Asian equivalent of Black Friday week on Taobao/Aliexpress.

Please post any good videogame related tat/bargains you find here! :P
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:51 am

Yeah, please share! I was going to lookf or things today :)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Final Fight ★★★
http://eriktwice.com/
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:21 am

Anyone looking for extension cables for their NES/SNES classic. I just got two for under $2 using the coupons.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xunbeifang-1-8M-Black-Extension-Cable-for-Nintendo-Wii-For-Classic-Mini-NES-for-Mini-SNES/32834222488.html
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:12 pm

Betagam7 wrote:Just a reminder that it's 11/11 so the SE Asian equivalent of Black Friday week on Taobao/Aliexpress.

Please post any good videogame related tat/bargains you find here! :P

I ordered a couple pirate Sega Genesis cartridges on 11/11. I got Fix-it Felix Jr. for three dollars and eighty-three cents.
And I got one of those Everdrive MD clones for twenty-seven dollars. It has full support for Genesis and Master System games; it even comes with a SMS pause button on the cartridge. I know it's not as good as the official Mega Everdrive X7 from Krikzz, but I can't afford to spend one hundred and sixty-six dollars for the real deal right now.
I already have a pretty big collection of real Genesis cartridges, but now I can play some of imports and rare titles that I wouldn't be able to purchase at a reasonable price otherwise.

And I finally bought myself an 8bitdo. I have been wanting one of these for a couple years now. This cost me twenty-eight dollars. Not a stellar deal, but good enough.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:12 pm

Actually $28 used or new is solid as those retail at $40 to $45. I was happy getting one maybe 3-4mo ago for like $30 shipped on a new one off ebay. The thing is fantastic, just update the firmware if you have a Switch so it will work there too. Also remember to shut it off or it eats the battery like overnight, otherwise it still discharges over a period of not that much time which is a bit annoying if you only periodically use it. Very comfortable and works fantastic.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:02 am

That everdrive looks interesting to me, can you share the link? I have one of those genesis handhelds with the cartridge port so wouldn't mind picking something like that up. Does it allow for savestates? I'm confused by the SMS pause button, does it also run Master System games?

I had no idea Felix had come out on the Megadrive. I'd have grabbed that if I'd known.

In the end all I got was the extension cables (one free with the coupon) and a cheap little famiclone with a random flashlight attached for randomness.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:37 am

Okay, I found the link for that unbranded Everdrive:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profess ... 23335.html

I'm still confused as to what it is. it claims to also play SMS games. Is that via the Megadrive itself? I know there was a Power base converter so can the Megadrive play SMS games?

To be honest, I'd be more interested in getting it to use my genesis handheld as a portable SMS if that were the case. Has anyone already got one of these?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Betagam7 wrote:That everdrive looks interesting to me, can you share the link? I have one of those genesis handhelds with the cartridge port so wouldn't mind picking something like that up. Does it allow for savestates? I'm confused by the SMS pause button, does it also run Master System games?

I had no idea Felix had come out on the Megadrive. I'd have grabbed that if I'd known.

In the end all I got was the extension cables (one free with the coupon) and a cheap little famiclone with a random flashlight attached for randomness.

Hi Betagam, Just saw your post from yesterday. Sorry for the delayed response. Let me see if I can answer your questions.

Fix-it Felix never really came out on the Mega Drive. That's just some pirate nonsense I bought for fun. Afterall, Wreck-it Ralph came out in 2010 - long after Sega ended commercial production of Genesis cartridges. Disney made a pseudo~arcade game to promote their movie. Someone on the Internet made a Genesis ROM that really runs on emulators. Then some pirate in China burned that ROM to a Genesis cartridge. I have no idea how well this game will actually work. For all I know it might crash the moment I press the start button. :lol: I'm just taking the risk for three dollars and change.
Betagam7 wrote:Okay, I found the link for that unbranded Everdrive:

I'm still confused as to what it is. it claims to also play SMS games. Is that via the Megadrive itself? I know there was a Power base converter so can the Megadrive play SMS games?

To be honest, I'd be more interested in getting it to use my genesis handheld as a portable SMS if that were the case. Has anyone already got one of these?

I can see you have already found the Everdrive on AliExpress. I'm not an expert on flashcarts, but I will attempt to clarify to the best of my understanding.

The Everdrive is a flashcart that loads ROMs from SD card. This was invented by a very bright man named Igor Golubovskiy who goes by Krikzz online. His original "Everdrive MD" design has been copied by Chinese pirates. I would assume that he's not terribly happy about that, but instead of quitting, he released better and better Everdrives that cannot currently be copied by pirates. He has also expanded into flashcarts for other consoles. His official site: https://krikzz.com/store/

Now let's talk about Sega Master System for a moment. The pause button for the SMS isn't on the controller; it's on the console itself. The entire processor of the SMS is already built into every single Megadrive and Genesis model 1 and model 2. Sega re-used the SMS processor for sound in the Genesis. You know that Sega released a Power Base Converter to allow gamers to play SMS games on their Genesis/Megadrive. That power base convertor doesn't do any kind of emulation or processing unto itself; it doesn't need to. The Power Base Converter just adapts the cartridge port of the Genesis so that a SMS cartridge can fit in that place. That Power Base Converter also features a pause button because the pause button on the Genesis controller only pauses Genesis games, not SMS games. One thing the Power Base Converter cannot do is to play FM sound because the FM expansion is not built into the Genesis. Not every SMS game can use FM sound anyway. It was never supported in North America in any case. Some people are very Enthusiastic about FM sound, but it's not a deal-breaker to me.

You asked a couple questions about how the Everdrive plays SMS games. I haven't received mine yet, but here's the way I think it works: The Everdrive MD that I ordered should allow me to play Sega Master System ROMs simply by loading them onto an SD card and plugging my Everdrive directly into my Genesis. I don't believe that I need any Power Base Converter at all. Remember the pause button on the Power Base Converter? This Everdrive also comes with a pause button for the exact same reason. It's just to pause SMS games because the pause button on the Genesis controller won't pause SMS games. Much like the real Power Base Converter, the Everdrive MD doesn't support FM sound, but I think that one of the newer cartridges that Krikzz officially makes, might support this. Not 100% sure.

You also asked about save states. I don't think that the Everdrive MD supports save states. Much like FM sound, I think that one of the newer cartridges that Krikzz officially makes, might support this. Not 100% sure.

You can find comparison charts of what Everdrive carts support which features on Krikzz's official support forum here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3422.0
Fair warning: Krikzz doesn't support Chinese Pirate cartridges. I mean, can you blame him? :wink:

Now let's talk about your handheld. I'm assuming that you're using one of those at@games handhelds with the cartridge slot. Those all use "firecore" processors and poor emulation to replicate the Sega Genesis. I do know that very similar hardware was used to make a handheld Sega Master system / Game Gear clone called the "Coleco Sonic" (Bizarre name). I'm afraid that these firecore systems do not support most flashcarts; only the flashcart made specifically for firecore hardware. If you want a flashcart for your firecore handheld, look into something called the "firecore passport". If you want to buy a new handheld that can emulate SMS games, look into something called the "Sega Gopher 2" handheld (another bizarre name). You can also look into the Dingoo a320 handheld (yet another bizarre name) which emulates many systems.

I hope I have answered all your questions satisfactorily. :mrgreen:
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Interestingly, necromfive (I think that's his name) has added an FM sound core to the X7. KRIKzz has integrated in to the official firmware, so that's cool. I'd be careful using firmware updates, though; not sure how well the pirate carts take to updates. And as mentioned, you're not going to get any support from KRIKzz.
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:49 am

samsonlonghair wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:
You asked a couple questions about how the Everdrive plays SMS games. I haven't received mine yet, but here's the way I think it works: The Everdrive MD that I ordered should allow me to play Sega Master System ROMs simply by loading them onto an SD card and plugging my Everdrive directly into my Genesis. I don't believe that I need any Power Base Converter at all. Remember the pause button on the Power Base Converter? This Everdrive also comes with a pause button for the exact same reason. It's just to pause SMS games because the pause button on the Genesis controller won't pause SMS games. Much like the real Power Base Converter, the Everdrive MD doesn't support FM sound, but I think that one of the newer cartridges that Krikzz officially makes, might support this. Not 100% sure.

You also asked about save states. I don't think that the Everdrive MD supports save states. Much like FM sound, I think that one of the newer cartridges that Krikzz officially makes, might support this. Not 100% sure.

You can find comparison charts of what Everdrive carts support which features on Krikzz's official support forum here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3422.0
Fair warning: Krikzz doesn't support Chinese Pirate cartridges. I mean, can you blame him? :wink:

Now let's talk about your handheld. I'm assuming that you're using one of those at@games handhelds with the cartridge slot. Those all use "firecore" processors and poor emulation to replicate the Sega Genesis. I do know that very similar hardware was used to make a handheld Sega Master system / Game Gear clone called the "Coleco Sonic" (Bizarre name). I'm afraid that these firecore systems do not support most flashcarts; only the flashcart made specifically for firecore hardware. If you want a flashcart for your firecore handheld, look into something called the "firecore passport". If you want to buy a new handheld that can emulate SMS games, look into something called the "Sega Gopher 2" handheld (another bizarre name). You can also look into the Dingoo a320 handheld (yet another bizarre name) which emulates many systems.

I hope I have answered all your questions satisfactorily. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I knew Felix wasn't a real Megadrive game, I just meant that I wasn't aware a pirate game had been made that ran on the system (I assumed it was some tie in phone game or something).

The handheld Megadrive that I own isn't the @tgames model (I'm not aware of one of those that has a cart port, only SD cards). It's a Chinese one called the Pocketgame MD. I believe it is made by the company Hamy.

Here's a link to one on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-HG-806-16Bit-S-EGA-MD-pocket-handheld-game-console-68in1-games-include-use/32283105170.html

I don't know if it has the same guts inside or not although it has wonky sound like all of these handheld megadrives. Any idea if the flashcart will work on that? I have a knockoff Gauntlet IV cart that plays just fine on it (also from Ali-express).

My main interest isn't really playing Megadrive games. I want to play Game Gear and Master System games on a handheld. I have a couple of the firecore game gear handhelds (see previous posts in this thread) but unless I've missed a trick somewhere these haven't been hacked to allow for extra games to be put on them....have they?
Return to Game Deals