Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
marurun

Re: Taobao and Aliexpress deals, finds and purchases

by marurun Wed May 31, 2017 10:05 am

US patents are 20 years, so next year will be roughly when we should expect to see the NGPC patents expire here.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed May 31, 2017 12:10 pm

marurun wrote:US patents are 20 years, so next year will be roughly when we should expect to see the NGPC patents expire here.

Interesting to note. The other hurdle would be convincing a manufacturer that such machines would sell...although given that I was able to buy new converters for the Game Theory Admiral in 2016 it surely couldn't be that hard!
miked
128-bit

by miked Wed May 31, 2017 9:48 pm

Betagam7 wrote:My new Game Boy Color bootlegs arrived from Aliexpress.

Sadly, it seems I'm not destined to play the Zelda trilogy on the GB Boy Color.

I previously reported a glitch with Link's Awakening where Link would disappear if the dpad was mashed in a certain way.

Well, it seems the Oracle games also have an issue, this time something relating to sound emulation (although only when using headphones). Basically after a short period of play you start to hear what i can only describe as a 'puttering noise'. It's even present when you turn the sound all the way down, although oddly it goes away if you view a status or map screen so it's only present during gameplay.

Doing some research online people have reported similar issues with these two titles when running them on emulators so I believe it is something to do with the way the GB Boy is emulating the original hardware.

I think I'll invest in a cheap Super Gameboy and play them on the Poke Fami DX. The carts themselves all work great and have working saves , as is normal these days.

I know this post is from a while back, but could you explain to me what exactly you do to make link disappear? I just recently got a GB Boy Colour and no matter how hard I try I can't recreate this glitch. I have mashed the D-pad every way I can think in towns, dungeons, shops and most everywhere else and cannot get this to happen. I have not tried out the oracle games for that sound glitch though. My Zelda GBC games are also repros if that matters.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 am

miked wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:My new Game Boy Color bootlegs arrived from Aliexpress.

Sadly, it seems I'm not destined to play the Zelda trilogy on the GB Boy Color.

I previously reported a glitch with Link's Awakening where Link would disappear if the dpad was mashed in a certain way.

Well, it seems the Oracle games also have an issue, this time something relating to sound emulation (although only when using headphones). Basically after a short period of play you start to hear what i can only describe as a 'puttering noise'. It's even present when you turn the sound all the way down, although oddly it goes away if you view a status or map screen so it's only present during gameplay.

Doing some research online people have reported similar issues with these two titles when running them on emulators so I believe it is something to do with the way the GB Boy is emulating the original hardware.

I think I'll invest in a cheap Super Gameboy and play them on the Poke Fami DX. The carts themselves all work great and have working saves , as is normal these days.

I know this post is from a while back, but could you explain to me what exactly you do to make link disappear? I just recently got a GB Boy Colour and no matter how hard I try I can't recreate this glitch. I have mashed the D-pad every way I can think in towns, dungeons, shops and most everywhere else and cannot get this to happen. I have not tried out the oracle games for that sound glitch though. My Zelda GBC games are also repros if that matters.

I'm using a real copy of Zelda DX on clear green and clear blue GB Boy Colours.

To make Link disappear I mash the d-pad while sword swiping. Imagine doing the 360 sword sweep shortcut from other games. Link vanishes and while the game still detects him he won't reappear until you ascend or descend stairs or enter/exit a cave.

Thankfully after some fiddling with the GB Boy's on off switch I was able to stop the puttering noise in Seasons. It seemed to occur if the switch was clicked too far in.
miked
128-bit

by miked Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Ok I was finally able to recreate this glitch. By mashing all four directions at once (Something no d-pad should ever do...) and swinging the sword as fast as I possibly could Link finally vanished.

That being said I can't ever see myself triggering this by accident. You had me worried since I basically bought this specifically for the Zelda GB games! :lol:
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:32 pm

miked wrote:Ok I was finally able to recreate this glitch. By mashing all four directions at once (Something no d-pad should ever do...) and swinging the sword as fast as I possibly could Link finally vanished.

That being said I can't ever see myself triggering this by accident. You had me worried since I basically bought this specifically for the Zelda GB games! :lol:

Sadly it happened so regularly to me that I abandoned trying to beat Awakening for what feels like the 100th time now. In a frantic boss battle the last thing you want is to disappear!
Last edited by Betagam7 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:11 am

So I recently got hold of this:

It's the LTPS Handygame (confusingly not the same as the Dot Matrix game player also called "LTPS Handygame").

It's the final handheld put out by Timetop who had previously made 3 iterations of the GameKing line.

Unfortunately it was missing the accompanying cartridges which I'm now trying to acquire some information about.

I've posted a full review of the unit on my blog here:
http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/timetop-ltps-handygame-gm-228.html

It doesn't seem like it's a famiclone but I'd heard that the cartridges made for it had NES games on them so I'm wondering if it's just emulating for those purposes.

Any info anyone can give me on this would be really appreciated!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:45 pm

So I was wondering more about that GB Boy Color unit.

I know about the hardware and that it has a soldered in 66in1(repeated to 188in1) flash kit in there too for on board games.

What I'm curious about though is how it handles games, legit ones, exactly. What I'm getting at is, can you like on a stock real GBC pick your color choice for the old B&W games or are you stuck with the GBC default shades? And I'm guessing since this is a straight up GBC clone, GBC ONLY games look and run awesome on it as well.

By the way it appears that before someone ran out of parts, recently 21 systems only were made using an IPS panel with 2x the resolution of the GBC, but basically they got out a rewired GBC using a backlighted screen that damn near rivals the Vita/3DS era stuff. Seems some troll got a chunk of them (in New Zeland) and has been selling them for like $300+USD on ebay staggered apart one by one. I'd love to see if more could be dug up on this and if maybe this effort could be copied so everyone could benefit from a GBC that rivals and exceeds the output of the Brighter AGB-101 panel.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:57 am

Tanooki wrote:So I was wondering more about that GB Boy Color unit.

I know about the hardware and that it has a soldered in 66in1(repeated to 188in1) flash kit in there too for on board games.

What I'm curious about though is how it handles games, legit ones, exactly. What I'm getting at is, can you like on a stock real GBC pick your color choice for the old B&W games or are you stuck with the GBC default shades? And I'm guessing since this is a straight up GBC clone, GBC ONLY games look and run awesome on it as well.

It works exactly like a GBC in that holding down a direction or button will select a different palette while the GB Boy logo is being displayed.

Colour games also work the way they would on a real GBC. The only one that I've had any difficulty with is Link's Awakening for reasons detailed above.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:53 pm

I hadn't been able to try it out yet really when I wrote that, and I see that now. I always hated the default awful light blue and peach color with weird green default -- I'll hold the buttons and get black and white mode with the 2 gray mid-tones for the old stuff.

That sound bug in pokemon yellow I heard it, oddly I found if you set the audio away from stereo or the 3 headphone choices and force it on mono it's 100% accurate with no dropped notes or poke-chatter.
Return to Game Deals