Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Taobao and Aliexpress deals, finds and purchases

by Tanooki Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Seems useless, would have been not useless had the screen been lit up in some way. I'd rather use my legit GBP if I get the feels for playing an old b&w GB game.

GB Color would be nice, and I know it sounds petty, but I loathe the british spelling of some words throwing in useless letters. It irks me seeing colour on there (ko-LOOR?) so as dumb as it sounds, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me so I never bought it. I imagine if they had another lens I could pop onto it I'd bite.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:53 am

Tanooki wrote:Seems useless, would have been not useless had the screen been lit up in some way. I'd rather use my legit GBP if I get the feels for playing an old b&w GB game.

It's actually a release that predates the GB Boy Colour. It was released in limited numbers well before that model became available but has just popped back up on Ali-Express with the "classic" label. Someone probably found a warehouse full of them in Guangzhou or something! :lol:

Tanooki wrote:GB Color would be nice, and I know it sounds petty, but I loathe the british spelling of some words throwing in useless letters. It irks me seeing colour on there (ko-LOOR?) so as dumb as it sounds, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me so I never bought it. I imagine if they had another lens I could pop onto it I'd bite.

If you want a simple phonetic spelling of the word then neither version is technically right since 'co' isn't pronounced as 'cu'. It isn't technically a "British" spelling though, it's the spelling used in all other varieties of English other than American, so it actually makes more sense from a business standpoint to market it that way instead of Nintendo's rather odd decision to universally Americanize it's products to the rest of the world.

Of course, the saving on printing off all those extra 'U's' might have had something to do with it. 8)

If they fall below $10 in the next Ali-express sale I'll probably snap one up just for the sake of review and curiosity purposes. For now though I've just ordered some more cheap GBC knockoff carts. The 2 Zelda Oracle games, Shantai and Magical Chase for $6 a pop.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am

Betagam7 wrote:I've just ordered some more cheap GBC knockoff carts. The 2 Zelda Oracle games, Shantai and Magical Chase for $6 a pop.

Let me know how those are. I've been tempted.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:48 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:I've just ordered some more cheap GBC knockoff carts. The 2 Zelda Oracle games, Shantai and Magical Chase for $6 a pop.

Let me know how those are. I've been tempted.

Had no problems with the ones I ordered last time (For the Frog the Bell tolls, Trip World, Gargoyles quest 2 and Super Mario Land Deluxe). Save worked just fine on 'Frog' (which I just beat) and they all run great. These days we've gone beyond the dodgy non-saving multi carts of the past. Knock-offs now are generally cheap and reliable. I also like how they don't try to look exactly like the real games they are cloning.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 pm

I know a guy not only in country but who lives miles from here who does quite a few new board/sticker/clamshell GB and GBC titles and very affordably so too. That Frog title is one, Last Bible 2 (sequel to US Revelations the Demon Slayer), Survivor Kids 2, Bomberman GB3, Cave Noire, and various others. I just never bit because I had/have too much on my plate to bother but I really want to play Last Bible 2 eventually.

I've been wanting that Magical Chase game. Have you see the greedy idiots on ebay with that one? It's usually the same 3 copies up there wanting like $500+ for them yet if someone isn't a BIN baiting troll going for it, it falls around $150 last I looked even if the box is still there. It's a really weird one. The up side is, given the TG16 wasn't exactly really high res, the squeeze down to the GBC it lost very little and makes for a truly fantastic game that deserved better distribution. I'm all for boots at this point on games that are 1:1 on the exterior to the originals as it has gotten just too far out of control and something needs to kick the system in the teeth.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:37 pm

Tanooki wrote:I'm all for boots at this point on games that are 1:1 on the exterior to the originals as it has gotten just too far out of control and something needs to kick the system in the teeth.

I'm about on the same page. I still want folks to tell me up front that they're repros and not try to pass them off as legit, but I like them to look legit as long as I'm told that they're not.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:15 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I'm all for boots at this point on games that are 1:1 on the exterior to the originals as it has gotten just too far out of control and something needs to kick the system in the teeth.

I'm about on the same page. I still want folks to tell me up front that they're repros and not try to pass them off as legit, but I like them to look legit as long as I'm told that they're not.

I just want to do what I started out doing with the retro hobby. Picking up all the games I never could afford back in the day at reasonable modern day prices and playing them on actual hardware that resembles the experience I would otherwise have gotten, or is actually superior to that.

I'm not an emulation guy. I can't get into a game if it's a Rom. I need to own something physical and play it on something resembling the original hardware to be invested in it.

I love that the GB Boy colour and these cheap little carts allow me to do that. Sure they say 'Game' instead of 'Game Boy' on the top and they come in an eye pleasing array of colours instead of grey but that doesn't detract from the experience for me any more.

I don't care about making some ebayer wealthy so that I can own a particular type of circuitboard. There's no moral issue for me there because that money was never going to the developer either.

I'd always rather prefer to get the original games, but that is simply no longer an option for me as I won't be a part of the problem that has beset retro gaming. I didn't get back into the hobby to find it as unaffordable as it was for me as a kid with no income!

This is the guy I buy my Game Boy Games from, he has Last Bible 2:

https://nintendocn.aliexpress.com/store ... 0.0.q2xrU4
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:26 am

My new Game Boy Color bootlegs arrived from Aliexpress.

Sadly, it seems I'm not destined to play the Zelda trilogy on the GB Boy Color.

I previously reported a glitch with Link's Awakening where Link would disappear if the dpad was mashed in a certain way.

Well, it seems the Oracle games also have an issue, this time something relating to sound emulation (although only when using headphones). Basically after a short period of play you start to hear what i can only describe as a 'puttering noise'. It's even present when you turn the sound all the way down, although oddly it goes away if you view a status or map screen so it's only present during gameplay.

Doing some research online people have reported similar issues with these two titles when running them on emulators so I believe it is something to do with the way the GB Boy is emulating the original hardware.

I think I'll invest in a cheap Super Gameboy and play them on the Poke Fami DX. The carts themselves all work great and have working saves , as is normal these days.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Odd story. An acquaintance of mine shared a link to an aliexpress page on his facebook feed. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the product was a respirator mask. :shock: WHOA! That's a problem. I gave my acquaintance a heads up about aliexpress's reputation. I told him it's all well and good for novelty crap, but I would think twice before buying safety equipment there. Don't let your physical well-being rest on a product from aliexpress.

On the other hand, that respirator mask could be used for a Halloween costume. :lol:
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Wed May 31, 2017 1:01 am

Grabbed one of these recently and finally put up a review. Anyone have any of the other variants which, confusingly all seem to be named after things you'd get in a pharmacy?

Love the idea of the clicky NGPC style stick being seemingly cheap enough for a cheapo handheld. A shame everything else about it is rubbish.

http://www.obsoleteworlds.com/vg-pocket-mini.html

It makes me wonder when the patents on the NGPC expire and when the Chinese can get working on clone technology to give us that backlit NGPC we all crave.
Return to Game Deals