Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

by nightrnr Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:48 am

autobot wrote:wplutom,

When you do talk to the factory, do something classy!

I made a rough illustration of what you can do. Something premium, think HTC One...

ImageVIII

Oooh! :o
It's like a Game Boy Pocket Advance. A throwback design like that could get some attention.
...just another lost soul...
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:59 pm

nightrnr wrote:
autobot wrote:wplutom,

When you do talk to the factory, do something classy!

I made a rough illustration of what you can do. Something premium, think HTC One...

ImageVIII

Oooh! :o
It's like a Game Boy Pocket Advance. A throwback design like that could get some attention.

I might be wrong but, as nice as it looks, I don't think that this kind of thing the TC has in mind. He's talking about mass producing cheap clones because of his unexpected demand for the GB Boy. I also think he might be mistaken in his reasoning as to why people are buying the GB Boy.

The free pre-installed games are nice but they weren't my motivation for buying the GB boy. It was all about the backlit screen. I'm fairly sure this was the selling point for others too.

The GBA has a neverending supply of backlit and frontlit consoles ALREADY out there and available cheaply. R4 cards are pretty well known things too.

I really think he'd be better focusing on a console that NEEDS a backlight, or at least a more high quality screen. While we can appreciate them aesthetically, I think that most gamers aren't looking for high cost "premium" bespoke redesigns of existing hardware. We just want a way to play these old handhelds on a brightly lit screen and something resembling the original hardware.

That is the key to the GB Boy's popularity among retro gamers in the west, not a looping selection of built in old gameboy games.
goat84
16-bit

by goat84 Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:03 pm

Honestly I would rather not have the built in games,everything else with the unit is fine imo.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 pm

goat84 wrote:Honestly I would rather not have the built in games,everything else with the unit is fine imo.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd rather not have them. They are convenient and a nice extra but they didn't sell the system to me and I also think I'd have stronger moral obligations to him bundling GBA roms onto a GBA knockoff, because then the only reason he's making it is to sell a product through piracy. It would literally be his only selling point over original hardware.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:35 pm

If they made decent backlit clone GBAs with a SD slot that shit would sell like hot cakes.

Btw was there ever a period in time where hot cakes sold like hot cakes? Something to ponder....
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:03 pm

ninjainspandex wrote:If they made decent backlit clone GBAs with a SD slot that shit would sell like hot cakes.

Btw was there ever a period in time where hot cakes sold like hot cakes? Something to ponder....

I agree the SD card idea is preferable to loading it with pre-installed games that are broken or loop but wouldn't this also mean loading it with some kind of firmware?

The GB Boy just has the insides of a multicart glued inside of the system that is deactivated by a piece of plastic when you insert a cart. Making an actual front end might be beyond what this guy is looking to do with Kong Feng.

Although that Blaze Sega Megadrive handheld thingy did this and presumably wasn't too expensive to mass produce. If that thing had save states I'd have snapped it up.
aaron
Next-Gen

by aaron Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 am

autobot! post more here! your designs are always so great on TCP :)
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Purkeynator
64-bit

by Purkeynator Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:44 am

I would buy a backlit Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket Color, or Wonderswan Color. But then again, I am crazy.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 pm

Around 2006~ish, the Sonic Coleco (Playpal) came out.
This was Gamegear clone with a bright LCD display. The build quality was, by all accounts, pretty good. Unfortunately, this machine had no SD card slot. That's a deal breaker for a portable clone. If you made a handheld just like this with an SD card slot and maybe a larger screen I would buy one.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:07 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Around 2006~ish, the Sonic Coleco (Playpal) came out.
This was Gamegear clone with a bright LCD display. The build quality was, by all accounts, pretty good. Unfortunately, this machine had no SD card slot. That's a deal breaker for a portable clone. If you made a handheld just like this with an SD card slot and maybe a larger screen I would buy one.

Hey, I actually have that. the battery life is fantastic!
admittedly, the game selection is pretty disappointing. At the time is was made, an SD port for roms would have raised a lot of eyebrows (and maybe still would if sold in a retail store).

Another version called a "Blaze Gear" by AtGames has a few more games, but still leaves you wanting more (not sure if this was available in US like the Coleco one was).

As for an SD slot, you need that "or" a slot for carts. Both are preferable, of course. But basically, it just needs a way to play more games determined by the user. But as GG and Master system cart connectors are not available, cart slots were not an option.

To me, an SD slot would be neat (and I'm not opposed to it), but I always felt that I may as well be playing using emulators on PSP or DS. A big appeal of clones is it provides the original experience somehow (letting you play your old games).

Flash carts give a similar appeal, as they let you play games on SD on the original platform.
But a copy on a clone just misses the point for me unless you are already emulating on a superior portable.
...just another lost soul...
Return to Game Deals