Page 2 of 4

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 pm
by ninjainspandex
How about instead of built in games you have an SD card slot, so we can put the roms on ourselves.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:57 pm
by nightrnr
So I guess a Back-lit Wonderswan Color would be out of the question?

I would definitely want a Neo Geo Pocket Color that is back-lit though.
However, the others are right about the micro-switch joystick. People will expect a good quality.

As for a Game Boy Advance:
I agree that there is too much competition and not enough demand.
However, there used to be some original design back-lit GBA's on Aliexpress, but they don't seem to be available anymore (I still wonder if they used actual GBA boards in them, because I can't tell the difference when I opened mine up). So maybe there is a market.
ninjainspandex wrote:How about instead of built in games you have an SD card slot, so we can put the roms on ourselves.

That would be pretty neat in ANY portable clone. And between the 2, I would definitely want an SD slot.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:48 pm
by storino03
Or even a consolized Game Gear.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 pm
by noiseredux
A consolized GG would sell like hot cakes.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm
by nightrnr
noiseredux wrote:A consolized GG would sell like hot cakes.

If you could find a relatively cheap way of producing one, yes.

As it stands, you basically have to wire a video encoder (with a bunch of other junk) to a breadboard and fit it inside the Game Gear and wire like 7 or so other wires, not to mention intsalling the Audio/video ports.
There's a guy that sells a custom (and compact) board all set up for installing to a Game Gear, but I think he charges like $70 or $80 (last I checked anyhow).
http://etim.net.au/ggtv/ggtv.htm
It's expensive and/or a pain in the butt. There's a reason you don't see many people doing it.

I still want to do this sometime for a few Game Gears that have damaged screens, but it really is hard to justify the cost.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 pm
by Gunstar Green
nightrnr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:A consolized GG would sell like hot cakes.

If you could find a relatively cheap way of producing one, yes.

As it stands, you basically have to wire a video encoder (with a bunch of other junk) to a breadboard and fit it inside the Game Gear and wire like 7 or so other wires, not to mention intsalling the Audio/video ports.
There's a guy that sells a custom (and compact) board all set up for installing to a Game Gear, but I think he charges like $70 or $80 (last I checked anyhow).
http://etim.net.au/ggtv/ggtv.htm
It's expensive and/or a pain in the butt. There's a reason you don't see many people doing it.

I still want to do this sometime for a few Game Gears that have damaged screens, but it really is hard to justify the cost.


This is in the context of clone consoles though, not actually console-izing real Game Gear hardware. It'd be a GG-on-a-chip most likely.

There are still issues, such as not having cartridge slots already being mass produced that they can just pull of-the-shelf. That was one of Hyperkin's reasons for not stuffing even more consoles into the Retron 5.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:46 pm
by nightrnr
Gunstar Green wrote:This is in the context of clone consoles though, not actually console-izing real Game Gear hardware. It'd be a GG-on-a-chip most likely.

There are still issues, such as not having cartridge slots already being mass produced that they can just pull of-the-shelf. That was one of Hyperkin's reasons for not stuffing even more consoles into the Retron 5.

I have heard as much (and partially my point).
But yeah, I know we are discussing clone consoles here.

Seems like if there was enough demand, someone could mass produce them, if only for a clone system. But it's unlikely.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 am
by Betagam7
storino03 wrote:Or even a consolized Game Gear.


What do you mean by "consolized"?

Just a Game Gear that you can play on the TV?

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:16 pm
by KalessinDB
I'm at work so I can't link you directly (stupid, stupid filtered internet) but literally google search for "Consolized Game Gear"... some guy did a version that looks like a mini SMS, it's a thing of beauty. Brings a damn tear to my eye, it does.

But yeah. People occasionally make portables into consoles, attached to a TV. I have one done for a GBA (that I, admittedly, overpaid for)... I've seen a gorgeous version of a PSP built into a PS2 Slim... there's people on Atariage looking to figure out a TV-out for the Lynx, which would be the first step.

It's a niche market within a niche market, but I for one love the idea, as long as it looks nice. I've seen plenty of function over form consolized GG's, but that doesn't appeal to me. The one that looks like a mini SMS? I would pay a small fortune to own that, and I don't even have that much love for the GG.

Re: Hello every one, I am seller of Kong Feng GB Boy:)

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:26 pm
by autobot
wplutom,

When you do talk to the factory, do something classy!

I made a rough illustration of what you can do. Something premium, think HTC One...

ImageVIII