Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: GB Boy (backlit Game Boy Color clone) 20.99USD free ship

by Betagam7 Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:01 am

nightrnr wrote:Has anyone had issues with their GB Boy Colour using rechargeables. Mine likes to reset itself without any warning (at least when the batteries get half spent, but the red led gives no sign of growing dim; not sure if it is the same with alkalines).

The resetting is normal when batteries are running out. I wouldn't expect the red LED to operate the same way that a real GBC does any more than I expected the infa red port to work. ;)
I've never used rechargeable batteries on it simply because the battery life with regular batteries is so long and they are much cheaper here.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sun May 01, 2016 3:45 am

True enough, I just like the rechargeable option.
I put the "spent" batteries in a real GBC and got at least another 2-3 hours out of it. It was a (amateurly done) front lighted system too. Weird to me that the power draw was so much different.
But it is what it is. I just prefer a little warning before my system up and shuts off/resets.
The GB Boy will be relegated to casual play only for me. A shame, since I kind of liked how Dragon Warrior III looked on it.
...just another lost soul...
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Wed May 04, 2016 8:45 pm

Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 am

Overload wrote:The prodigal boy returns http://www.aliexpress.com/af/gb-boy.htm ... ext=gb+boy

Yup, suddenly it's available in huge numbers again. I'm not sure we'll ever know what happened. Maybe a parts shortage, a case of building up demand, a lawsuit...well, it's fun to speculate, either way I'm glad these things are available again. They really are wonderful.

Still hoping for that backlit Game Gear or NGPC clone system next though. :)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri May 06, 2016 3:25 pm

Are they really all that great honestly?

I've seen enough mixed comments how it won't run this game or that game correctly with some display or audio garbage about it, or that the controls don't feel 100% gameboy like. Seems like it's either nitpicky fanboy garbage or legit but I can't make any sense of it without touching one myself. I kind of loathe clones though I have the Supaboy v2 as it is which also isn't 100% but very close, and that Retron 5 I'm thinking of selling off.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat May 07, 2016 9:30 am

Tanooki wrote:Are they really all that great honestly?

I've seen enough mixed comments how it won't run this game or that game correctly with some display or audio garbage about it, or that the controls don't feel 100% gameboy like. Seems like it's either nitpicky fanboy garbage or legit but I can't make any sense of it without touching one myself. I kind of loathe clones though I have the Supaboy v2 as it is which also isn't 100% but very close, and that Retron 5 I'm thinking of selling off.

The ONLY mild grumble I have with the GB Boy Color is that the screen aspect ratio is different giving you a slightly squashed picture.
However the crisp beauty of the backlit screen easily outweighs that concern for me.

While I can't speak for every single game, all 58 GB and GBC titles that I own work perfectly...let's not forget that it also comes with a similar number of GB games built in.

The controls are just fine. If you want a backlit console that plays your GB games and handles like a real GBC then this is the only option as the original GBC can't be backlit.

Yes you could get an SP 101 but that's not going to give you the perfect GB experience either. Playing games on the GB Boy feels a lot nicer than playing them on my SP.

Finally: KongFeng one-upped Nintendo by spelling the word 'Colour' correctly for the UK market. :lol:

Seriously though, it's my 2nd favourite handheld behind the Poke Fami DX and great value for the price and clearly a shrewd investment given what they were selling for during the drought.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat May 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Well that's good to know, but seeing Color misspelled would drive me up the wall too. I don't say co-lOOr, it's color. :) Maybe one of those after market GBC lenses could be thrown over it.
Overload
128-bit

by Overload Fri May 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Selling my translucent blue for $50 shipped. Has original packaging and screen film still on it. Played a handful of times.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri May 13, 2016 11:20 pm

Overload wrote:Selling my translucent blue for $50 shipped. Has original packaging and screen film still on it. Played a handful of times.

What's wrong with it?
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Sat May 14, 2016 8:02 am

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Overload wrote:Selling my translucent blue for $50 shipped. Has original packaging and screen film still on it. Played a handful of times.

What's wrong with it?

You mean other than the fact you can get a brand new one with free shipping for $15 less? :P
Return to Game Deals