Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Betagam7
128-bit

Re: GB Boy (backlit Game Boy Color clone) 20.99USD free ship

by Betagam7 Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 am

I took collection of my GB Boy today. It's the clear green variant. Not a colour I ordinarily would have picked but it actually looks nice and snazzy.

It still had the screen protector on it so it looks like the seller had never actually played on it. I was initially concerned that the box did not have the 188 sticker on the front as pictured in the auction but after telling myself it probably wasn't the version with the free games I loaded it up and up they popped. :)

There are 66 games on the machine in total (I'll note them down and list them here later for those interested) after which they loop, as mentioned. I'm not sure who this was meant to fool and I'd rather the space had been given to something else.

On that note, I should mention that I'm not sure if all of these games are complete.

Certainly when I tried Donkey Kong (94) it was noticeably borked. The part where you pick your save game was corrupted and the ladders taht move up and down in the pie factory (stage 2) remain stationary meaning there is no way to finish the level.

I'm sure this is a common thing with multicarts however I'm sure it probably doesn't affect the majority of games. Nevertheless, it does ask the question of why put these games on the cart at all when simpler titles could have been included. I will have to investigate further to see if this is the only game that suffers.

As for the system itself, it is lovely. The slightly altered screen ratio isn't noticeable to me. The backlit screen is bright and clear with no colour washout. The buttons are nice and solid and the dpad, which I had concerns over, is actually very comfortable and responsive. Way better than some of Nintendo's efforts with the likes of the DS lite!

Sound is clear and actually seems a little louder than the GBC and the system operates exactly like a GBC in letting you change the colour schemes as a game loads up by holding the dpad in different directions.

Even though I paid a little more than this is available for on the links above I am very impressed with the machine so far.

I do have one thing to note however, and it might be important to those who own a system and indeed to the long term care of the device.

When a game is turned off the image remains burned into the screen! It's almost unnoticeable as the backlight is now off but it is there! you'll notice it as when you turn the system back on it is there for a second, brightly illuminated before clearing.

It's best, therefore, not just to simply switch the system off but to do a quick on off flick to completely clear the screen of any graphics. I would imagine that this will save the screen of the system long term as otherwise image burn in could be an issue over time.

(please correct me if I am wrong about this - I dont claim to be a technical expert of any sort.)

Overall though, very impressed....now to find that frontlit NGPC. :roll:
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:24 pm

As promised, here are the games that are build in. There are 66 titles, repeating needlessly 3 times over. I'll update this list with some further notes if I find anything amiss with them.

1. Contra (original monochrome version)
2. Super Mario Land
3. Bugs Bunny
4. Parasoru Hembei
5.Go Go Tank
6. Tenchiwokurau
7. Donkey Kong (broken version. Only the first two levels play and can't save)
8. Aladdin
9. Mario & Yoshi
10. Duck Tales
11. Pac-Man
12. Side Pocket
13. Kid Niki
14. Yars Revenge (Telegames port)
15. Yakuman
16. Bubble Ghost
17. Migrain Acclaim
18. Othello
19. Hong Kong
20. Korodice
21. Master Karate
22. Shisensyo
23. Shanghai
24. Tennis
25. Trump Boy
26. Volley Fire
27. Alley Way
28. Pitman
29. Space Invaders
30. Asteroids
31 Battle City
32. Bomb Jack
33. Boxxle
34. Boxxle 2
35. Amida
36. Tetris
37. Brainbender
38. Tic-Tac-Toe
39. Castelian
40. Centipede
41. Crystal Quest
42. Dragon Slayer
43. Dropzone
44. Dr. Mario
45. Flappy's Special
46. Flipull
47. Heiankyo Alien
48. Hyper Loderunner
49. Klax
50 Koi Wa Kakehi
51. Kwirk
52. Loopz
53. The Game of harmony
54. Minesweeper
55. Missile Command
56. Motocross Mania
57. NFL Football
58. Palamedes
59. Penquin land
60. Pipe Dream
61. Pop Up
62. Q Billion
63. Serpent
64. Tesserae
65. World Bowling
66. Daedalian Opus.

As you can see it's a mixed bag but there are a good proportion of classics on there and a good number of First Party hits that defined the GB as a console. Shame about Donkey Kong being broken but I have the cart anyway. I thought I saw Gradius on one of the videos but it doesn't seem to be on here.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:23 pm

--EDIT for Links update--

So here's links to the different translucent colors for the $25.99 price point (I might actually order another one in the clear blue):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 00358.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 17174.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 55152.html
Betagam7 wrote:As for the system itself, it is lovely. The slightly altered screen ratio isn't noticeable to me.

It totally is noticeable to me, but some games look nice with it anyways.
My problem is still the TYPE of LCD screen used (diagonal pixels just look grainy and jagged to me)
Betagam7 wrote:It's best, therefore, not just to simply switch the system off but to do a quick on off flick to completely clear the screen of any graphics. I would imagine that this will save the screen of the system long term as otherwise image burn in could be an issue over time.

(please correct me if I am wrong about this - I dont claim to be a technical expert of any sort.)

I'm pretty sure mine has the image goes away completely after a couple minutes after it's turned off. As I understand it, "burn in" should not be a concern.
Betagam7 wrote:Overall though, very impressed....now to find that frontlit NGPC. :roll:

Keep dreaming :lol: .
Actually, you CAN do a front lit mod on a NGPC, but I was unhappy with my attempts at it. It washes the colors out terribly.
Last edited by nightrnr on Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...just another lost soul...
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

nightrnr wrote:So here's links to the different translucent colors for the $25.99 price point (I might actually order another one in the clear blue):
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Handheld-Game-Console-for-GBC-Clone-with-Backlit-Crystal-Blue-Color-188-Games-inside/426976_1976834549.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Video-Handheld-Console-For-Original-GBC-Clone-Game-Player-with-Backlit-Crystal-Purple-Color-188-games/426976_1976822717.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Colorful-handheld-video-Console-clone-game-player-with-backlit-crystal-blue-and-purple-color-same-function/426976_1557455152.html
Betagam7 wrote:As for the system itself, it is lovely. The slightly altered screen ratio isn't noticeable to me.

It totally is noticeable to me, but some games look nice with it anyways.
My problem is still the TYPE of LCD screen used (diagonal pixels just look grainy and jagged to me)
Betagam7 wrote:It's best, therefore, not just to simply switch the system off but to do a quick on off flick to completely clear the screen of any graphics. I would imagine that this will save the screen of the system long term as otherwise image burn in could be an issue over time.

I'm pretty sure mine has the image goes away completely after a couple minutes after it's turned off. As I understand it, "burn in" should not be a concern.
Betagam7 wrote:Overall though, very impressed....now to find that frontlit NGPC. :roll:

Keep dreaming :lol: .
Actually, you CAN do a front lit mod on a NGPC, but I was unhappy with my attempts at it. It washes the colors out terribly.

Not being technically minded, is there a technical reason why nobody has been able to backlight one? It's a shame that clones probably wouldn't be an option due to the obscurity/clicky stick factor.

As for the aspect ratio. I ran the built in Contra next to my Capcom Collection Probotector and, yes, it does look cleaner and slightly better on the GBC but I think the trade off is worth it in a way I never did with the GBA's horrible screen distortion.

I also tried the same speed test that the guy on the video did (in this case making both characters walk forward until they died). It was exactly the same for me, so I don't see any sign that the clone runs games ever so slightly slower as he indicated.

It's strange that the device pictured on the box has a differently proportioned screen.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Betagam7 wrote:Not being technically minded, is there a technical reason why nobody has been able to backlight one? It's a shame that clones probably wouldn't be an option due to the obscurity/clicky stick factor.

The problem lies with the LCD type. You really can't backlight a Neo Geo pocket screen in the same way you can't backlight a Game Boy Color LCD screen. It would have to be completely replaced (and I DO really wish someone could make a suitable replacement to go into the stock systems).
Betagam7 wrote:I also tried the same speed test that the guy on the video did (in this case making both characters walk forward until they died). It was exactly the same for me, so I don't see any sign that the clone runs games ever so slightly slower as he indicated.

GBC games might run slower, at least on certain more demanding games. I haven't noticed yet either, but I've only tried a few carts so far.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:34 am

Dammit, I just got my 2nd system (a pretty Clear Blue one).
It has a dead pixel too, and in a slightly more annoying spot!

It does have the built-in games with it (unlike my other one), so that's a nice bonus. But sonuva b*^%#. I can't believe that I'm the only one here who has trouble getting a perfect screen.

I don't think I'll send it back, too much the hassle.

Does anyone think 3 time's a charm? Maybe I'll get one more color.
If I did get another, I would change out the good screen to the blue model, as it looks like they are swappable.
goat84
16-bit

by goat84 Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:49 am

Got my clear green in the mail few days ago,have played around 10 carts all seem to run well. Sound is a little low on the built in games but real carts seem louder. (Tried some speakers threw the jack and was more then loud enough)
Screen is nice and bright no dead pixels I really have no complaints will be picking up the clear blue now.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:16 am

nightrnr wrote:Dammit, I just got my 2nd system (a pretty Clear Blue one).
It has a dead pixel too, and in a slightly more annoying spot!

It does have the built-in games with it (unlike my other one), so that's a nice bonus. But sonuva b*^%#. I can't believe that I'm the only one here who has trouble getting a perfect screen.

I don't think I'll send it back, too much the hassle.

Does anyone think 3 time's a charm? Maybe I'll get one more color.
If I did get another, I would change out the good screen to the blue model, as it looks like they are swappable.

Since getting it I've noticed that mine may have a dead pixel. It only seems to show up when the background is green. all other colours display fine. I really don't find it a big deal when the screen is so lovely and bright. I rarely notice it during most games and when I do it's more of a 'shrug' moment as it's so small as to barely register.

Mine is the clear green variant.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:50 pm

Betagam7 wrote:Since getting it I've noticed that mine may have a dead pixel. It only seems to show up when the background is green. all other colours display fine. I really don't find it a big deal when the screen is so lovely and bright. I rarely notice it during most games and when I do it's more of a 'shrug' moment as it's so small as to barely register

Mine is not bad on lighter backrounds (so most original GB games), but is VERY noticeable on most GBC games (deeper-darker colors). It is stuck on that blue/turquoise color and is in the middle-ish part of the screen. Sticks out like a sore thumb, it does.

I messaged the seller about it (at goat84's suggestion), so we'll see if anything comes of it.
Betagam7
128-bit

by Betagam7 Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 pm

nightrnr wrote:
Betagam7 wrote:Since getting it I've noticed that mine may have a dead pixel. It only seems to show up when the background is green. all other colours display fine. I really don't find it a big deal when the screen is so lovely and bright. I rarely notice it during most games and when I do it's more of a 'shrug' moment as it's so small as to barely register

Mine is not bad on lighter backrounds (so most original GB games), but is VERY noticeable on most GBC games (deeper-darker colors). It is stuck on that blue/turquoise color and is in the middle-ish part of the screen. Sticks out like a sore thumb, it does.

I messaged the seller about it (at goat84's suggestion), so we'll see if anything comes of it.

He actually has his own thread here now...although he's yet to comment in it. Probably hard at work making those NGPC backlit clones I suggested. :lol:

The pixel thing was a concern when I bought mine, especially since I was only in the UK for a short time. This is why I went ebay and paid a little bit more so I could make sure I was happy with it before I head back to China...where I'm still waiting to hear if he'll ship to...
Return to Game Deals