Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

Gamestop Offering $60 for RROD Xbox 360's

by Onyxthecat Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:07 pm

I'm not sure if this is new but at one of my local Gamestop's they had a broken 360 with a sign saying "$60 of in store credit for any RROD 360" It seems like I could pick up a few for cheap on ebay and pick up some games I want with my profit.
DSKrek
8-bit

Re: Gamestop Offering $60 for RROD Xbox 360's

by DSKrek Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:13 pm

If what you say is true, I have to wonder, what's in it for GameStop to be offering such a deal. It's not like XBOX 360s are so expensive anymore, yet $60 seems like a hefty price to pay for something that's broken. Also, given how late this is in the 360's life cycle, what's the motivation for GameStop to be purchasing these broken units?

The only logical answer I can think of is Microsoft is subsidizing these purchases because they want to get these 360s out of circulation to make way for the new XBOX. This is the only thing I can think of that even makes sense.

What do you think?
sosoyo180
24-bit

by sosoyo180 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Is this a deal at every Gamestop? Or just the one you saw, if not then it might be a cruel revenge ploy to get back at Gamestop for not handeling RRoD well. Probably not though.

Even though that's Microsoft's issue.
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

by Onyxthecat Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Yeah everything you guys are saying makes sense. Idk what there motivation would be. This was only at one that I saw but then again I could have missed it at a different one. So before I left, I asked both employees there and about it and they said if the 360 has rrod bring it in for $60 store credit. I was like, ok then lol. I have two rrod's on the way from ebay for $40 shipped so well see. :?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:24 pm

Onyxthecat wrote:Yeah everything you guys are saying makes sense. Idk what there motivation would be. This was only at one that I saw but then again I could have missed it at a different one. So before I left, I asked both employees there and about it and they said if the 360 has rrod bring it in for $60 store credit. I was like, ok then lol. I have two rrod's on the way from ebay for $40 shipped so well see. :?

Agree it seems to point pulling 360s out of circulation. Gamestop will be losing money unless there is another agenda? I doubt Microsoft is involved, that is until the date is closer to whenever they release their next console.

Maybe this is just a sales incentive, another way to get customers to visit the store since both the 360 and PS3 sometimes do fail. Maybe a PS3 YLOD buy back might also happen, depending how much impact the 360 buy back affects new sales?

Best to find out a solid date when the offer expires, especially if an EBay order gets delayed. Also, there might be a limit per customer?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

sonic2041
24-bit

by sonic2041 Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:32 pm

I just called gamestop. They said it has to be red ring and you need a video cable 1 controller, power brick and console. They say they fix red ring ones, if its something else they may not be able to take it. I didn't ask about if the seal needs to be intact or not. If it does i'm probably screwed. I have 3 broken 360s that I have gotten from myself and other people and was hoping to go get an easy $180, but we will see what I can get, if anything. I don't know if its worth it to trade in controllers with it, but I do have a few bad ones around somewhere.

I wouldn't go buy any cause it seems you could easily loose money when you only have a $20 profit margin. I am assuming you didn't get controllers or cables with yours.

EDIT:

I called to get clarification on the exact price. The base price for a broken 360 is $10, but right now there is a $50 bonus for trading in a console ( I did not get a date because I think buying from ebay and reselling is stupid, but do it if you want. ) The console must have RROD, an intact seal, a controller, a power brick and a video cable. So it looks like I have a pile of garbage. Oh well, I didn't feel like giving up 3 controllers.

EDIT:

I guess that was $40 for 2, so you may be alright, just go find some worn down controllers and hope the seals are intact.
Onyxthecat
Next-Gen

by Onyxthecat Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Well shit :( I guess well see but damn I was hoping to bank some cashhhhhhhhhhhh
Duane Dibbley
128-bit

by Duane Dibbley Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 pm

Seems like they might have a limit of one per person as well. Or did they say there was no limit?
My games for sale: Racketboy, Amazon, eBay
My systems: NES, Nintendo 64, GameCube (Game Boy Player), Wii / Game & Watch: Ball, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP (x2), Nintendo DSi / Genesis (Sega CD, 32X), Saturn / Game Gear / PlayStation, PlayStation 2 / Xbox / Mac (Windows PC) / iPhone, iPad
sonic2041
24-bit

by sonic2041 Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:36 am

I didn't ask about a limit. I said I had a few and he didn't say anything. But being a promotion there may be. Yeah, I got my hopes up for getting and absurd amount of money for garbage taking space up in my closet. should have never messed with them and I would have 2 for sure. But the controller thing kinds of kills it, seeing how controllers cost $60 for new ones.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 pm

sonic2041 wrote:I didn't ask about a limit. I said I had a few and he didn't say anything. But being a promotion there may be. Yeah, I got my hopes up for getting and absurd amount of money for garbage taking space up in my closet. should have never messed with them and I would have 2 for sure. But the controller thing kinds of kills it, seeing how controllers cost $60 for new ones.

Yeah, but do the controllers have to work?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Return to Game Deals