Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: The ongoing "AWESOME DEAL ON THE WEB!" thread

by Tanooki Sun May 14, 2017 12:54 am

Sadly another victim of digital rental syndrome. Something bound to a game expires, everyone suffers unless they get in before it gets out. I picked the entire package up due to the huge cut, 90% off is hard to ignore especially on GoG. I'll try it out eventually.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun May 14, 2017 2:22 am

Tanooki wrote:Sadly another victim of digital rental syndrome. Something bound to a game expires, everyone suffers unless they get in before it gets out. I picked the entire package up due to the huge cut, 90% off is hard to ignore especially on GoG. I'll try it out eventually.

It isnt a rental, you don't lose it if you already bought it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun May 14, 2017 3:03 pm

Yeah you do, once they decide to no longer honor the purchase for whatever means unless said server has a protection against lost licenses, etc.

I've had stuff I've paid for taken away from me on digital downloads because the parent company who made it no longer wanted it on there (Sony in one case on a mobile phone.) Digital can have other consequences costing you a lot. It also happened and Amazon got sued and had to compensate for it years ago with Kindle as they lost the Orwell license (irony eh?) and via wifi wiped 1984 off a lot of their devices (and off their web account.)

Perhaps someone hacks your Steam, GoG, PSN, etc account and violates the TOS. They ban the account, and you can not prove you got taken for a ride. You just lost every single download unless you can concretely prove you didn't cause the problem by sharing your password, etc. I recall MS over the years banning a good many accounts for bad behavior locking out all game usage and the ability even with a new system bought to re-acquire your goods like some petty form of punishment.

Anything is possible when it's a trust agreement on a digital piece of anything. That's some of those reasons I call them rentals, vapor, etc.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Sun May 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Tanooki wrote:Yeah you do, once they decide to no longer honor the purchase for whatever means unless said server has a protection against lost licenses, etc.

I've had stuff I've paid for taken away from me on digital downloads because the parent company who made it no longer wanted it on there (Sony in one case on a mobile phone.) Digital can have other consequences costing you a lot. It also happened and Amazon got sued and had to compensate for it years ago with Kindle as they lost the Orwell license (irony eh?) and via wifi wiped 1984 off a lot of their devices (and off their web account.)

Perhaps someone hacks your Steam, GoG, PSN, etc account and violates the TOS. They ban the account, and you can not prove you got taken for a ride. You just lost every single download unless you can concretely prove you didn't cause the problem by sharing your password, etc. I recall MS over the years banning a good many accounts for bad behavior locking out all game usage and the ability even with a new system bought to re-acquire your goods like some petty form of punishment.

Anything is possible when it's a trust agreement on a digital piece of anything. That's some of those reasons I call them rentals, vapor, etc.

What happens when your house catches fire or is in a flood? All your physical media is gone as well. If you buy Alan Wake now, it wont be unplayable when pulled off the market next week or whenever it is.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun May 14, 2017 5:20 pm

That's why I mentioned the GOG version. DRM-free, you can back it up on physical media and have access to it as long as that holds up. In many cases, longer than your lifetime or any period of time you'd care about.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon May 15, 2017 12:03 am

Eventually GOG won't exist anymore.

Eventually your physical media won't work anymore.

Eventually you'll grow old and die, if you're lucky enough.

Personally I think a buck or two is a pretty good deal for what's likely to be many years of "rental" that you can make legal copies of at your leisure.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 am

And it was picked up a day or two ago, the comment was a general one which is true, albeit in a minority of cases. Either way I'll try and get around to it at some point.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon May 15, 2017 12:25 am

Tanooki wrote:Anything is possible when it's a trust agreement on a digital piece of anything. That's some of those reasons I call them rentals, vapor, etc.

And if you stop paying your debts/taxes your physical shit can be repossessed or seized as well. Nothing is safe. But we all know the real reason you don't like digital is you can't flip it when you're done for the same price as the "horrible resellers".
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon May 15, 2017 11:25 am

Ever considered eating a dick?

Yes I sell stuff when I'm done with it, and yes I don't put it up for prices from 5-10 years ago because then someone will just flip it off my back. Why make it easy?

And no I really don't like digital because I like physical ownership. Just like I'll still buy a CD and make MP3s vs just download the stuff for my phone.

Shame people either don't like my feelings on digital, or just like their rights trampled on, but giving me crap for it isn't going to change things.
wclem
Next-Gen

by wclem Mon May 15, 2017 11:41 am

It's not a your view of or dislike of digital games people don't like. It's uh, well something else they don't like...........
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
Return to Game Deals