Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: The ongoing "AWESOME DEAL ON THE WEB!" thread

by Fragems Wed May 17, 2017 3:57 pm

nullPointer wrote:Uh ... any way ... Deals!

Or a deal at any rate. This one was too good to pass up. As I'm sure a lot of you know, Humble Bundle is doing their annual Spring Sale right now (ends 5/25/2017). And I know that Binary Domain is a game that has a lot of fans around the forum, which is in turn what piqued my interest. What you may not know is that it's currently available at rock bottom price on through the Humble Sale (since it's not one that pops up in the most popular picks or whatevs).

Binary Domain Collection - $3.19 USD (until 5/25/2017)

I love that game I really wish it would get a rerelease on PS4/XB1 so I can hold on to the faint hope of a sequel in the future.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed May 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I'm curious when it comes to Humble Bundle, is there some link or tie back something on that site that says when there is a GOG key involved? I know there's that DRM FREE tag but that also could just be a sustained copy on their site. Do those even get updates? I don't recall ever seeing one on anything I got from their own hosting in the past get one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 pm

I think DRM free on Humble means you just get to dl an exe.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 am

Tanooki wrote:I'm curious when it comes to Humble Bundle, is there some link or tie back something on that site that says when there is a GOG key involved? I know there's that DRM FREE tag but that also could just be a sustained copy on their site. Do those even get updates? I don't recall ever seeing one on anything I got from their own hosting in the past get one.
noiseredux wrote:I think DRM free on Humble means you just get to dl an exe.

Yeah noise pretty much nailed it in terms of DRM Free; that just means you can download the installer directly. I had to look it up, but in that circumstance you can (apparently) update your games, but it's up to you to check in on the status of your library since Humble Bundle isn't going to notify you or anything like that.

Updated Builds For DRM-Free Games

You do have to pay attention when you're purchasing from Humble so you know whether you're getting a redeemable key for Steam, GOG, uPlay, Origin or whether a DRM Free download is available. I can't count the times I've been ready to pull the trigger on a purchase only to realize that it's a uPlay exclusive key or something. Having said that and going back to the question of DRM free updates, I'd think I'd rather just get a redeemable key through GOG (preferably) or Steam so the desktop client (GOG Galaxy or the Steam client respectively) will handle any updates without my necessarily having to even know about them.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 am

That has been the concern as you sometimes have to dig to figure out which service they're on as it's not always right up front and clear which seems like an oversight which is why I figured I'd ask.

I don't mind downloading off them directly. But like you I do prefer using GoG or Steam as you'll get an update notice at the least if not an auto-update. I don't use GoG Galaxy but I log in most days of the week there so it notifies me of updates with a little dot market.

I saw they had this bundle up with Owlboy which looked good, but then I realized for $13 I really wasn't feeling it as not one of the other games I have the time or really much care to bother with. I've got it wishlisted on GoG so if it's rocking a discount like that on HB it'll come around, maybe as soon as a few weeks with a GoG Summer Sale.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Not sure it was posted, but Microsoft has been running a backwards-compatibility sale that ends tonight. I snagged the D&D arcade game collection, but they've also got stuff like Shadow Complex and others, and a bunch of the stuff is 75% off.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 pm

Yeah I grabbed some 360 games too. Great prices.

Tanooki if it helps I was really let down by Owlboy personally.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 22, 2017 11:05 pm

noiseredux wrote:Tanooki if it helps I was really let down by Owlboy personally.

Thank you. I'm glad I wasn't the only one.
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue May 23, 2017 11:47 am

That underwhelming eh? I saw it was getting even more ports yet including to the Switch. Perhaps enough like it, or they're desperate to spread it thin enough around to see profit.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 23, 2017 2:43 pm

It's not a bad game. It's certainly beautiful. It just feels a bit perfunctory and basic in a lot of its gameplay.
Return to Game Deals