Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Yes, we can have nice things!-post your non gaming finds

by fastbilly1 Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 am

My mistake, Marx made both spring and DC powered Mickey Meteors, the DC one uses standard O gauge track. Being that it is the spring powered one you got an astounding price on it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:04 am

I wasn't aware, that's good you know more. I tried to dig and dig on it after getting it. I wanted one for a good decade when I learned of it ages ago, kind of forgot about it. To find a $300+ item in a box for $30 from the old lady who was the original owner was mind blowing so I snapped it up with no regrets. I put good time into de-rusting the spots off the track and using high end bike lube on the gears/spring to get it to fly like new. But there are still track issues I need to sort.

All I could find was the 2 year range that it was in sales for the spring loaded kinetic model versus a powered one I didn't know even existed.

Truth be told I have a large wooden chest here I inherited when my grandma passed a couple years back, it was from the same decade, my uncles massive set of 0-gauge powered American Flyer trains. I have like 3 santa fe engines and probably a dozen people/freight cars along with lots of track, transformer, buildings and other stuff and it bugs me as I have no place I can hope to set it up in this home. :( Honestly I'm wondering if the powered systems still even work or decayed from age but I would imagine they should despite being stored in that very box in a garage for decades out west. Thankfully not rusted, and well stored in all the original wafer cardboard rolls and boxes.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:16 am

Through some big silica packets in that chest and check for any rust when you get a chance. That old track will rust in a heart beat. One of my uncles is a huge Lionel fan and has several hundred thousands of dollars invested in his collection, and lost all of his vintage track to a water leak when he was on vacation. Most of it was replaceable, except his late 1800s Marklin 2 rail (Ogauge was not established until the early 1900s so it predated the scale being established).
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Probably not a bad idea. The room that trunk is in isn't entirely what I'd call temperature controlled by any means, but moisture isn't a problem at least. The closet was formerly a place off a garage for a clothes dryer and shelves along with a water heater. Now it has all my storage stuff, manga, that trunk, tools and other stuff, plus packing materials. I just have no other space at all it can fit or go.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Water heaters can burst, brother. It’s happened to me more than once. You might want to think twice about storing anything valuable near a water heater.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:01 am

I know they do, then the floor is a mess. That chest is secure though, it's not your usual trunk you see that's flimsy with faux solid metal/buckles, its an inch thick all around wood box with latches at the top, very heavy and has taken all sorts of weather without an issue inside. The only way water gets in that is if the water level rose higher than the lid so like 2ft I think. The only other stuff in there would be a loss are a couple hundred manga, and some other low value random books and some lego boxes, anything else is on a high shelf or just not in there.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:32 pm

15 various Plasticville O gauge buildings (some assembled) - $40

Plasticville was a series of 50s style buildings, released by Bachmann in the 50s (well 47). Being O-gauge they are close to perfect for 28mm wargaming. Several people use them for Fallout 3/4 styled table top skirmish games:
https://captainapathy.wordpress.com/201 ... o-station/

I plan on using them for a Triffids based skirmish game, a Alt WW2 game, and possibly some Dr Who gaming.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:07 am

Thrift stores around here seem to carry CRTs again! I went to one yesterday and found a CRT monitor and 3 or 4 CRT TVs! I decided to pick one up.

I have a ~19" TV/VCR combo in my old work shop. It's the only way I can justify keeping my old VHS tapes around. Occasionally, if I'm doing something at the work bench I'll put a VHS on to listen to. Or, if I'm working on a console, it's nice to have a TV in the same room for testing to I don't have to run back and forth. Sadly, I realized that this TV is a bit too big for my new work shop. Luckily, I found this Sharp for $5.99, it's a 13" screen. It didn't come with a remote, but I already grabbed one off eBay for cheap. 13" CRTs are so much easy to move, too!

On a random note, the same thrift store had a really nice upright piano for $30. It was painted a disgusting color blue, but hey, I wouldn't mind stripping it and refinishing it! I was very tempted, if only I had a truck and my back wasn't out.
Soldier Blue
128-bit

by Soldier Blue Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:33 pm

Good lot of VHS tapes I picked up. $1 total for all. Too cheap to pass up I guess. I've still been on the lookout for some of the more rare titles.
Racketboy and Seller Feedback: Racketboy +7,
Video Price Charting Store:
https://www.pricecharting.com/offers?se ... rni7irmnam
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:14 pm

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that still collects VHS. You get some very strange looks.
Return to Game Deals