Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Re: Yes, we can have nice things!-post your non gaming finds

by samsonlonghair Tue May 29, 2018 6:58 pm

fastbilly1 wrote:XP can be hacked with just someones IP address, which can easily be obtained. Even through a consumer firewall. The only way I would put an XP pc online for any amount of time would be through another pc that monitors all traffic.

My most recent good fine was a Mavica FD88. The only issue was that the floppy arm had been bent so a floppy would not fit inside. So for $2 and 30 minutes of work, I got myself the same kind of digital camera I used in college. I used it to shoot one of my wife's friends weddings who is big into 90s stuff (it makes every photo look like a late 90s website.

Edit:
I also picked up a royal flush of pre Civil War playing cards and a set of cheater dice from the same era (two fives per die). The playing cards backs are of a luxury style used before the war, but the cards have the same face and feel of Civil War cards. The dice are bone and hand inked, but past that dating them is difficult.

Cool deal! I have an old Apple QuickTake 2 kicking around somewhere. I never could get it to work though.

Those Antebellum cards sound neat. Pics? The crooked dice sound like a neat little collectable too.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue May 29, 2018 8:22 pm

So like have my kids laptop only use the internet if my laptop is broadcasting as a receiver as well through windows 8 much like you can piggy back a wifi setup off an iphone using a long password by default.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed May 30, 2018 10:20 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:Those Antebellum cards sound neat. Pics? The crooked dice sound like a neat little collectable too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qk55AObAxhraKeFI3
You can see the double fives on both of the dice.

Tanooki wrote:So like have my kids laptop only use the internet if my laptop is broadcasting as a receiver as well through windows 8 much like you can piggy back a wifi setup off an iphone using a long password by default.

I would only do that if you have to. Do not even load IE, get all of the post SP3 patches, and get an active antivirus monitor on it.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu May 31, 2018 12:02 am

Well for her IE was removed entirely as I'll always consider it a backdoor virus/hacker magnet and always have. Outside of work/school over the years I've refused to have anything to do with it (or outlook for that matter.) Avast is installed which is actively maintained daily for XP. Maxthon5 browser is installed, only active browser on the market updated still for XP and it's updated every day too. My router here assigns a random IP each time to whatever device pops on or off the network as well for it. I wouldn't allow it to leave the house and have the net active for safety reasons but I figured I had taken a few good layers of precautions for it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu May 31, 2018 9:47 am

fastbilly - Those cards are neat, especially the real bones dice or "die". Kinda morbid thought of what the bone product came from, but guessing elephant tusk?

Tanooki wrote:Well for her IE was removed entirely as I'll always consider it a backdoor virus/hacker magnet and always have. Outside of work/school over the years I've refused to have anything to do with it (or outlook for that matter.) Avast is installed which is actively maintained daily for XP. Maxthon5 browser is installed, only active browser on the market updated still for XP and it's updated every day too. My router here assigns a random IP each time to whatever device pops on or off the network as well for it. I wouldn't allow it to leave the house and have the net active for safety reasons but I figured I had taken a few good layers of precautions for it.

I have a Tower though can run Win 7, installed 32 bit XP Pro for 100% compatibility to older software especially Win 95 games. Use Firefox and Spybots for spyware protection, running fine for years with no issues. I personally feel the firewall concern overblown, but I do avoid unknown sites.

My Laptop has Win 7 and wife now has a Win 10 Laptop. It came with Office 360 which I eventually will uninstall to avoid the annual rental. I'll install older Office 2003 which already confirmed compatible to Win 10. Have Service Pack 2 disc and Service Pack 3 Installer file since Microsoft no longer supports. Also have the Microsoft File Convertor which runs seamlessly inside Office converting formatting of 360 saved files to older Office.

One thing I am spoiled by is Office Outlook which downloads all Email for offline read. I adjusted the IMAP and SMTP settings in our Gmail and Outlook accounts for benefit of automatic archive download with Outlook and still maintaining cloud read on any other computer and cell phone. Online Email browse a jumbled slow load java mess compared to the older Outlook much faster instant view of each folder. MS Internet Explorer of course needs to remain (even as not default browser) to allow pictures to view in Outlook Email inbox files.

:idea: Composing new Email thru Outlook brings in MS Word with all its tools.

Gmail view in Outlook - http://www.dummies.com/programming/netw ... ith-gmail/

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Thu May 31, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu May 31, 2018 12:21 pm

All good points, but for me I'm spoiled by the equally if not older netscape then mozilla then thunderbird email client. Does the whole download it all and read/write/reply offline as well plus lots of other excellent features curried out over like two decades of development.

Outside of that I just don't touch my ISP mail on anything else, I leave webmail to the mobile devices or browser.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 pm

Fosters Home Season 2 DVD - $43.75 Shipped Ebay
Not a great price, but cheaper compared to the very few listings online. Only the first three seasons have been released on DVD and all out of print. Having owned Season 1 and 3 for quite some time, both of which are inexpensive online, been watching for Season 2.

Season 2 is rare and crazy expensive maybe due to to episodes with the character Cheese. I have been putting this off and on for over a year seeing the price rise and fall. Got a reminder upon discovering the Big Cheese episode On Demand DIRECTV Dish; I had saved the episode on DVR then renewed my search of the obscure DVD online.

Yes! Season 2 CIB with case, liner notes and discs shipped! The newest Season 3 was released on DVD way back in May 2010. A small hope remaining Seasons 4-5-6 eventually will release on DVD?

I'll post a review later in my Animation Thread.
Attachments
Foster Home Season 2 Ebay.JPG
Foster Home Season 2 Ebay.JPG (87.97 KiB) Viewed 3002 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:05 pm

I've been home trapped all weekend due to a kitchen floor disaster, but yesterday I got lucky and a later morning show up gave me a couple hours to blast through selectively a huge (area) city wide(neighborhoods) garage sale. It was mostly bleek but towards the end I hit a stunning deal at an older couples house. I bought this box of stuff for $30 and what I saw inside was a rarity of toy trains, blew my mind, but more so when I after looked it up and realized it was worth 10x the value. :D

Marx Toys - Made/sold in 1950-52 -- Mickey Mouse Meteor train, and it's the deluxe version with 5 cars vs 3 (light blue and yellow cars are deluxe) and a few added pieces of track for more size. It's all there, it works other than a tiny piece of flint missing that can blow sparks out of the front. Motor and bell work, track is all present, free wheeling. I just had to de-rust some spots on most the track pieces and that's all which took some time.

I've known of it for years seeing pictures, never thought I'd own it. The lady was even nice enough to throw in that old game in the same picture free, says trade mark 1899 on it and I can't find one shred of information online about it either.

Second to that, did find a nice $2 DSI (black) great shape but no stylus or charger, and $2 for a Miniature Golf Tiger handheld too.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:08 pm

The Meteor looks in great condition. Dont worry too much about the track, it is O gauge and will likely not be used by any one. The new track is significantly better than the old as are the transformers.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:09 pm

New track and transformers? It's a wind up train, power is not needed as it has a big key and a spring. The track needs a bit of work. I did some work on the train as it didn't want to go after being stationary for most of the last 50 years or so and used some premium lubricant used for high end as a sport road bikes and it began to fly. Problem is the few missing poles causes it to split or rise up causing the train not to want to circle it entirely with all the cars. It works with 3, struggles on 4 as it is. I probably should just replace the few missing pieces of metal and then just work out the kinks in the track but realistically overall it looks and works awesome.

Lately I've been struggling keeping it in a box as I want to find a long enough space to display it but those cars are big.
Return to Game Deals