Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: The ongoing "AWESOME DEAL AT GOG!" Thread

by Stark Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:35 pm

dsheinem wrote:Bought Witcher 3 GOTY. Got the three free games.

I am eager to try the game, but I never could get very far into either of the first two. Any tips to get started?

I'd say, don't get too bogged down by some of the non-story related side quests. For example there are several tracks of armor sets that build on one another (Wolf Amor, Bear Armor, etc.), so you should figure out which one fits your play style and only pursue finding those and just drop the other quests so you don't get too distracted from the narrative. Since your just playing now any of the annoyances with controls and whatnot have been fixed.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:21 am

Another sale has come and gone, and this time I got 5 plus the first 2 free games:

Tomb Raider 1-3
Bioforge
Strike Commander
Total Overdose
Speed Busters American Highways
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:50 pm

First GOG sale in a long time that I did not buy anything.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:46 pm

Unlike most seasonal sales it seemed a bit uninspired to me too. Had it not been the first time in 2 1/2 years SFAlpha2 and Pure Pinball 2 went on sale I'd have grabbed nothing too.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:19 am

I got Pure Pinball on the last sale-splosion, they had Dream Pinball 3D on offer this time but I saw some middling reviews for it, and I only spent $10 on this sale and still netted those first 2 free games, not bad. I'm getting to be wishlist only from now on, I got over 200 games, many of them being nearly all I wanted from GOG so far. Plus now that I finally gave into Steam for the enhanced editions of Bioshock, I've got another place to get games from, but I'd still prefer DRM-free wherever possible.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:37 am

As far as games I'll admit to owning on their library and not including doubles/triples like the XWing and Tie versions, and not those which were shitty and I erased(hid) them I'm at 90. It was 91, just found how goddamn horrible the control and gameplay mechanics are in Transistor. Glad I grabbed it on a deep sale or I'd be mad, the one failing of digital games, you can't re-sell them if they suck. Shame though, their precursor release of Bastion controlled like a dream and was a lot of fun while Transistor the controls and mechanics are some awful misfire of action rpg and tactical rpg with some stupid stumbly mechanics loaded with many cheap hits and stupid kills.

I'll probably try that Dex game I got free next, or maybe one of the Shantae titles.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:25 am

Tanooki wrote:It was 91, just found how goddamn horrible the control and gameplay mechanics are in Transistor. Glad I grabbed it on a deep sale or I'd be mad, the one failing of digital games, you can't re-sell them if they suck. Shame though, their precursor release of Bastion controlled like a dream and was a lot of fun while Transistor the controls and mechanics are some awful misfire of action rpg and tactical rpg with some stupid stumbly mechanics loaded with many cheap hits and stupid kills.

Your opinion is your opinion, of course. However, I beat Transistor and enjoyed the combat system, and the same seemed to be true of most of many people who played it when it came out. Were you trying to control it in real time or something?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:11 pm

Both, I know you can hit space and pick a move set. I'd only hit on the fly if it was something I could push back or get a cheap shot at being close.

The game tries to act like an action game, but really it's a strategy RPG in essence except that you can dictate what to do and not just the mood and hope the AI does it. I don't like the genre at all as I lump it in with TRPGs of which I like/tolerate maybe 3-4 at most.

The game in the breakdown by the tech reqs is misleading as an action game, rpg elements, sci-fi. It's no action game. I'd never have bought it had I had a teaser demo to play the first 10 minutes of. I tried it for like 2hours last night, then erased it off my computer and back up drive installer too.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Transistor was pretty fun. A SRPG with real-time elements. Not quite either, but I found it plenty enjoyable. My gripes about the game were that it was too short, and I didn't like the story resolution at all.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:20 pm

Sarge wrote:Transistor was pretty fun. A SRPG with real-time elements. Not quite either, but I found it plenty enjoyable. My gripes about the game were that it was too short, and I didn't like the story resolution at all.

Same, though I think in part it was the purposefully vague nature of the story, as the interpretations/explanations online are fairly interesting. Doesn't seem like it's that much clearer via NG+ despite a few elements changing.

Either way, combat was just not really the complaint I would anticipate for that game.
Return to Game Deals