Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Video Game "Finds of the Day"

by fastbilly1 Fri May 13, 2011 9:27 am

Hateshinai wrote:Or get the PC version from Steam.

Or GoG: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/psychonauts
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri May 13, 2011 12:05 pm

PS2 Psychonauts
I beat the first Boss in Sasha's Shooting level. A giant Censor that tries to "Stamp" out my er the Doctors repressed thoughts. It takes place on a Giant Cube that spins around like the Katamari Globe. The artwork on the cube is bizarre, one that would be seen in a Picasso drawing.

I finished the Levitation Level last night, very tricky! Balancing on a ball and floating over to Disco Lighted Giant Flowers, okay it gets stranger at every level! So far I have merit badges for Shooting, Fire and Levitation. I can't wait to get the Invisibility Badge. The badges reflect the added abilities of RAZ. The weirdness of this game makes it special. Yeah! This is one GREAT game, worth getting!

I think the console version has the advantage of enjoying the game on the big screen, but an individual choice. The PS2 full color game manual is nice, shows details of all the strange stuff to collect. Either way, Computer or Console GET THIS GAME!

The website, full of Psychonaut goodies. Original PC version with manual is there. Oh crap, I missed out on the DVD with the cut scenes, another one to hunt!
http://shop.doublefine.com/psychonauts.aspx

There are a couple other games that are just as strange:
1. American McGee's Alice
2. Acid Arena

Remember that wallpaper on the previous page? Here is a 1024x768 JPG.
Attachments
Psychonauts Characters.jpg.zip
(221.04 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Fri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm

All this, for $5 total. Thrift stores are great.
051111 002.jpg
051111 002.jpg (90.07 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Bad Dudes: been wanting this one for years, since I've heard so much about it.
The PPG Movie: nothing more than what you see: old VHS for a buck. I own the complete collection of the show, figured I might as well own the movie too.
DC Web Browser: still sealed, and since I don't have one, I figured I'd take it for collecting's sake. Don't plan to actually use it, of course.
DC Controller: it's charcoal black. The box was opened, but the controller inside is still new (even has the foam thing wrapped around the controller plug still.) The best part of my haul, IMO.
The price stickers don't match up to $5, but that's because everything was 50% off. There were some DC games too, but I passed them up because they were all things like Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Mendoza
128-bit

by Mendoza Fri May 13, 2011 1:24 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:All this, for $5 total. Thrift stores are great.
051111 002.jpg

Bad Dudes: been wanting this one for years, since I've heard so much about it.
The PPG Movie: nothing more than what you see: old VHS for a buck. I own the complete collection of the show, figured I might as well own the movie too.
DC Web Browser: still sealed, and since I don't have one, I figured I'd take it for collecting's sake. Don't plan to actually use it, of course.
DC Controller: it's charcoal black. The box was opened, but the controller inside is still new (even has the foam thing wrapped around the controller plug still.) The best part of my haul, IMO.
The price stickers don't match up to $5, but that's because everything was 50% off. There were some DC games too, but I passed them up because they were all things like Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Man i have like 4 of those web browser discs, including one in the jewl case. I thought everyone had them.

Ah vhs, its always kinda cool when i see those these days.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri May 13, 2011 8:02 pm

Found Ocarina of Time for $2 at a local thrift store. I also found a box full of old Game Boy Micro soft cases for $1.50 each. Passed on that though, since I don't own a Micro.
They kind of looked like the bottom image from this:
Leather-Case-for-Game-Boy-GBS-002-.jpg
Leather-Case-for-Game-Boy-GBS-002-.jpg (9.44 KiB) Viewed 821 times

but no leather, and without the clip at the top to hold the handheld in, so that the micro could just slide in, and the front was plastic and had cutouts so that you could play it without taking it out of the case.

Oh, and I got a fat PS2 with one Duelshock 2 controller, all hookups and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts in the disk drive for $30. Not a fabulous deal, but a good $20 cheaper than I would have found elsewhere. The sticker said, "AS IS", but I hooked it up and it worked fine. I was mauled by a bear twice while standing in the thrift store. Yeah. It works. I think the employee's just didn't realize that the switch to turn the PS2 on was in the back. So I got a fat PS2 with a bonus game (Not that I really wanted Cabela's Dangerous Hunts, but....)

Hateshinai wrote:
Bradtemple87 wrote:
Michi wrote:I wish I could enjoy it. I've been looking for that for a while now, but none of the stores near me seem to have it :? Maybe I'll luck out and one of them will get a copy in.

Pick up a copy online, the price is very reasonable

Or get the PC version from Steam.

I'm not really a PC gamer. I just don't have a setup that makes it comfortable for me :? And I know it's pretty reasonable online, I just hate having to pay the shipping....I'm cheap, what else can I say? There is a Play N Trade I haven't checked in a while. Maybe I'll get lucky :wink:

Mendoza wrote:Man i have like 4 of those web browser discs, including one in the jewl case. I thought everyone had them.

Ah vhs, its always kinda cool when i see those these days.

I've seen those Browser Discs at a local thrift store. One of them's still sealed. It' only $1, but getting one seems a bit pointless.

And I love going through the old VHS movies. Where else am I going to find Tenshi: The Movie 2, Super Mario Brothers: The Movie, Street Fighter 2, Crystania, and other poorly dubbed anime/cheesy movies for $0.25.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 pm

Michi wrote:Oh, and I got a fat PS2 with one Duelshock 2 controller, all hookups and Cabela's Dangerous Hunts in the disk drive for $30. Not a fabulous deal, but a good $20 cheaper than I would have found elsewhere. The sticker said, "AS IS", but I hooked it up and it worked fine. I was mauled by a bear twice while standing in the thrift store. Yeah. It works. I think the employee's just didn't realize that the switch to turn the PS2 on was in the back. So I got a fat PS2 with a bonus game (Not that I really wanted Cabela's Dangerous Hunts, but....)
Good find on the Fat PS2. Maybe look into HDAdvance/HDLoader.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Fri May 13, 2011 10:43 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:Good find on the Fat PS2. Maybe look into HDAdvance/HDLoader.

Thanks. I'm looking into your guide right now 8)
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

by Rurouni_Fencer Sat May 14, 2011 1:31 am

Haul for the week at Play N Trade:

Atari Jaguar system - Complete in a crisp box, with all hookups and user manual. Only piece of this set in bad condition is the egg-carton innards holding the system inside the box. Still, not bad for $50! :mrgreen:

Some Jaguar games:

Raiden - CIB
Wolfenstein 3D - CIB
Rayman - CIB

I honestly can't believe how well taken care of these games are. They look and feel as if they were just taken out of the shrink wrap.. $25

and the rest...

The Crow: City of Angels - CIB, $5.

I know, not a great game by any stretch. But as a fan of the franchise, I've been hunting for this for a long time, and to find a copy in the wild in perfect, unscratched condition for a fiver is a win to me... 8)

Master System games:

Shinobi - CIB, $3
Missle Defense 3-D - CIB, $3
Ghost House (card, not cart) - CIB, $3

I don't even own a Master System yet.. :lol: But now that I've got my Jag and 3DO, it's next on the list, and with these cool titles, I'm on my way to an awesome starter set.. May go back for Rampage and Rambo.

Finally...

Super Nintendo games:

Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Bandidos - CIB, $5
Mountain Bike Rally - CIB, $1

A quick story - One of the managers at my local PnT, (we'll call him Bob,) is an ass. Bob likes to take trade ins, pilfer through the valuable games, hold them aside before customers can get to them, and buy them on Bob's payday, after his manager's discount, when he has the money. Bob, then, proceeds to hock said rare games on eBay for ludicrous amounts and make an extra profit, regardless of whether said games are already on somebody's Want List, (which my local PnT is gracious enough to offer their customers.) About two or so weeks ago, Mega Man's 1-4, & X, X2, and X3 (all CIB) came in, along with a handful of other games on my want list. Bob took it upon himself to keep them for himself before checking any lists. He proceeded to sell off the games on eBay - doubling his money, even though I, and probably other customers, were entitled to them, and would be playing those games this very moment.
I have a good friend working there who told me all of this. I was not happy. I go to PnT today and see that Bob has a stack of games he's holding for himself. I ask said friend, (who just so happens to be working his last day today,) if any of those games are on anybody's Want List. When he said no, I told him this very story and he proceeded to ring me up for ALL of Bob's games (save for a single NBA Jam cart..)

Let this be a lesson to greedy store managers - bone the customer, you'll get boned right back.
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Sat May 14, 2011 1:55 am

@Rurouni_Fencer

I can't believe what an awesome Jaguar set you got. Craziness.

Congratulations on the nice finds, and on screwing that guy over.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
mjmjr25

by mjmjr25 Sat May 14, 2011 2:07 am

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:Haul for the week at Play N Trade:

Mountain Bike Rally - CIB, $1

A quick story - One of the managers at my local PnT, (we'll call him Bob,) is an ass. Bob likes to take trade ins, pilfer through the valuable games, hold them aside before customers can get to them, and buy them on Bob's payday, after his manager's discount, when he has the money. Bob, then, proceeds to hock said rare games on eBay for ludicrous amounts and make an extra profit, regardless of whether said games are already on somebody's Want List, (which my local PnT is gracious enough to offer their customers.) About two or so weeks ago, Mega Man's 1-4, & X, X2, and X3 (all CIB) came in, along with a handful of other games on my want list. Bob took it upon himself to keep them for himself before checking any lists. He proceeded to sell off the games on eBay - doubling his money, even though I, and probably other customers, were entitled to them, and would be playing those games this very moment.
I have a good friend working there who told me all of this. I was not happy. I go to PnT today and see that Bob has a stack of games he's holding for himself. I ask said friend, (who just so happens to be working his last day today,) if any of those games are on anybody's Want List. When he said no, I told him this very story and he proceeded to ring me up for ALL of Bob's games (save for a single NBA Jam cart..)

Let this be a lesson to greedy store managers - bone the customer, you'll get boned right back.

Proud of you on the Bob deal. There is a reason no one likes Bob - and it is epitomized on your tale above.

Also, nice show in the mountainbike rally and Jag CIB games, very solid sir.
Return to Game Deals