Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Finds of the Day"

by noiseredux Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:31 pm

FerretGamer wrote:The ratings are incorrect as well.

I own the purple version (authentic) of PotD and it was well worth the measly $2.99 :)

yeah POTD rules.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:45 pm

I must say, though, it's interesting to examine the bootleg GBA games.
I don't think I would do too well as a bootlegger because I suffer from OCD. :lol: My bootlegs would probably look like the real thing. :)
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:46 pm

I've never quite understood why bootleg items always look so 'off'.

It can't be THAT hard to actually replicate something like a cartridge sticker, can it?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm

AppleQueso wrote:I've never quite understood why bootleg items always look so 'off'.

It can't be THAT hard to actually replicate something like a cartridge sticker, can it?

for some reason they often use a cropped version of the cover art on bootleg stickers.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Yeah. That orange Pinball of the Dead and the Castlevania pack are definitely bootlegs. They're pretty nice looking bootlegs ( I think I like the orange PotD cover better than the original), but they're still bootlegs. One wonders if they even bothered to look up the rating of the game before they printed out those labels.

I was actually surprised how many bootlegs I found when I went on the B2G2 Gamestop search. I was also surprised with how easy most of them were to spot. One of the more obvious ones was a Shining Soul game, whose label was so squished that it should have been painfully obvious that something was off and the other was a Pokemon Emerald game with Rayquaza on the cover, in a grey cart as opposed to the official green.

I mean, the Pinball of the Dead and the Castlvania packs I can see as being mistaken for genuine. It looks like far more effort was put into them than any of the bootlegs I found. I'd think anyone who worked in the store for more than a day would of at least had a hint that something was off. But I guess that's probably just my false hope that the Gamestop employees in every store would have at least some cursory knowledge of games. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I expect them to know how to spot every bootleg, but anything with squished graphics on the label should be flagged as suspicious.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Michi wrote: I'd think anyone who worked in the store for more than a day would of at least had a hint that something was off. But I guess that's probably just my false hope that the Gamestop employees in every store would have at least some cursory knowledge of games. Don't get me wrong. It's not like I expect them to know how to spot every bootleg, but anything with squished graphics on the label should be flagged as suspicious.

The bootleg Pocky & Rocky with Becky I bought last year at a GS and didn't really pay attention as I was in a hurry had an obviously squashed label too once I really looked at home. When I went back they said they'd refund it, but they didn't really seem to care that they had accepted one. I noticed 1 or 2 others in the display since I was paying attention. This was not a GS close to where I live, where the employees have generally been pretty decent even though I'm not a regular customer.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:24 pm

Hobie-wan wrote:That orange PotD is a bootleg. The logo aspect ratio is all wrong for it to just be an import that made its way here. That Castlevania double pack is too and a real one doesn't use a battery, but flash ram. The 98 in 1 is of course a bootlegs as well. I'm sure if you look up the codes on the PoTD and CV they're completely wrong.
Mod_Man_Extreme wrote:Actually the purple label version is legitimate and the Orange labeled one is a fake.

Look at the GBA logo on the cart and compare the feel of the plastic. also the cart should be labeled NINTENDO (in the logotype) on the inside visible from the connectors on the bottom. The cartridge part code is also printed on the back of the case itself as Model No. AGB-002 on official cartridges. Anything else (except for on carts with solar sensors, motion and rumble feedback) is a fake.

I've developed a keen eye for it over time after working at GameStop for so long.
Oh yeah, now I see the font above the Label saying dumb guy to me! It matches the 98 in 1 bootleg. :oops: Meh, as long as the game works, not a big deal to me, especially at these prices. I just have to get a battery for the Castlevania bootleg cart. I'll keep an eye on that font from now on, thanks!

noiseredux wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:Made a quick stop by gamestop today. I got a copy of Silent Hill 3 on PS2 in excellent shape with the soundtrack. My other copy is in rough shape so I figured "what the heck, I'll get it".

The damage= $1.84. (That's after using some spare trade credit.)
wow you found it with the soundtrack? That's awesome.
PS2 Silent Hill 3 - $19.99
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/silent-hill-3/22555
I managed to find one too, most the ones I have seen are the game disc only. The back cover of mine does state "Includes Silent Hill 3 Soundtrack" as part of the game description. Perhaps only the initial release had the game with the 2nd disc soundtrack? Did the Greatest Hits version remove the soundtrack?
Gamestop Haul 04-20-2011a.jpg

Gamecube Pikimin 2 - $34.99
http://www.gamestop.com/gc/games/pikmin-2/27931
Reminds me of a follow me lemmings type of game, Damn this one is addicting! I never would have bought this because of the price, but there are so many positive reviews on it. Got a twenty dollar freebie with the game, should have matched up with both PS2 Fatal Frames which showed up too late at the end of the week.
Gamestop Haul 04-17-2011 02.jpg

PS2 Puzzle Challenge Crosswords - Gamestop $2.99 FREE
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/puzzle-challenge-crosswords-more/60332
Okay so its just crosswords and find the hidden words. No Book Worm on the PS2 so this will have to be the fill that category. I really bought this game to try a different aspect of the Smart Joy Frag Mouse adaptor. Initial try out, the cursor does move around the boxes fine with a mouse. Just have to figure out how to recode the buttons to drop the letters correctly.

Both PS2 games HDAdvance compatible! :mrgreen:
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

by optmusprimenumber Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

Didn't buy 'em, but I did find mint preowned copies of Fatal Frame I, II, and III at Gamestop. Would'a been 90 plus tax to walk away with all 3 of those bad boys. I didn't have it. O well. Guy says they just showed up from the warehouse.
FerretGamer
Next-Gen

by FerretGamer Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:03 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:Didn't buy 'em, but I did find mint preowned copies of Fatal Frame I, II, and III at Gamestop. Would'a been 90 plus tax to walk away with all 3 of those bad boys. I didn't have it. O well. Guy says they just showed up from the warehouse.

Probably a good thing that you didn't buy them since you can get them all NEW from Amazon.com for less than that.
Exhuminator wrote:Sega gonna Sega.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:33 pm

optmusprimenumber wrote:Didn't buy 'em, but I did find mint preowned copies of Fatal Frame I, II, and III at Gamestop. Would'a been 90 plus tax to walk away with all 3 of those bad boys. I didn't have it. O well. Guy says they just showed up from the warehouse.
One of those would have been FREE.

Must have been an oops unpacked too late from the distribution center. Same thing happened here, after I closed out Pikimin 2 with a twenty dollar game and two twenty dollar freebies. Ah well, still got forty bucks worth free on those two. :D
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Game Deals