Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Look what I found"

by alienjesus Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:45 pm

I see far more Model 2 Master Systems than model 1's over here in the UK. I got mine unboxed but with 10 games (including Phantasy Star) for £15.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:31 pm

I know it's not a SUPER great find, but I found a complete copy of Final Fantasy VII today in great condition for $32. Not the find of a lifetime, but I think it's worth writing home about.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:39 pm

Is there any advantage of the master system II over the original? I personally prefer the look of the original.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:21 pm

ninjainspandex wrote:Is there any advantage of the master system II over the original? I personally prefer the look of the original.

Nope. The original has a card port and the model 2 doesn't. They generally have different games built in. The model 2 only supports RF.
harper
Next-Gen

by harper Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:23 pm

alienjesus wrote:
ninjainspandex wrote:Is there any advantage of the master system II over the original? I personally prefer the look of the original.

Nope. The original has a card port and the model 2 doesn't. They generally have different games built in. The model 2 only supports RF.

Yeah that's dumb, even a Genesis powerbase converter has a card slot. It's pretty much the next best thing.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 pm

alienjesus wrote:

are you serious the model 2 only supports rf i just bought a model 1 master system a few days ago which i should probably post a pic of ill do that in a bit and it just came with an rf cord. the rf was soo horrible i hated it, ive played rf on the nes and its just fine but its all staticy on the master system. is this normal? i had to order an rca cable for it on ebay it just arrived today and man it looks infinitely better.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:39 pm

IIRC, the Master System uses the CXA1145 video encoder. So adding S-Video output is fairly easy (soldering required). S-Video is a HUGE step up from composite on the Genesis, so I would assume it's a nice step up on the Master System as well.
pvt_awol
64-bit

by pvt_awol Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:53 pm

alienjesus wrote:

Not only do you lose the ability to play the games that are stored on the Sega Cards, you cannot use peripherals that plugged into the card slot. (Like the 3D glasses)

Not that that is a huge deal breaker, but if you are a collector, you'll want one with a card slot.

I say, get the model 2 only if you have the model 1 (or power base converter) already, or you are getting a great deal on it. I personally don't think $70 to $80 is that great.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:58 pm

Is $70 a common price for Master Systems? I got my Model 1 Master System with two controllers, the AC adapter, and A/V cables for $30 a couple years ago.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Icedawg
24-bit

by Icedawg Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:28 pm

pvt_awol wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

Not only do you lose the ability to play the games that are stored on the Sega Cards, you cannot use peripherals that plugged into the card slot. (Like the 3D glasses)

Not that that is a huge deal breaker, but if you are a collector, you'll want one with a card slot.

I say, get the model 2 only if you have the model 1 (or power base converter) already, or you are getting a great deal on it. I personally don't think $70 to $80 is that great.

Good insight... I briefly had a original master system before and I'm just not really a fan of the design. Master System 2 is smaller and I just like the look better, but since I'm not really a collector & am just looking to play the games... maybe I shouldn't be so picky
Return to Game Deals