Video Game "Look what I found"

Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Finds of the Day"

Post by noiseredux »

Opa Opa wrote:
optmusprimenumber wrote:Just curious... do you guys actually like AALLLL these games you get or are you just trying to have every possible game made ever? :? it just appears that some of you buy them indiscriminately

I only buy games I know I want to play...

Although, it appears that CRT has gone crazy during the B2G2 sale. :lol:

but if you read his posts, he's always researched the games it seems. Like he obviously wants them for some reason.

personally, I but games I want to play BUT I also buy lots of games at yard sales just to add them to my trade list to get more games that I actually want to play. Haha.
optmusprimenumber
Next-Gen

Post by optmusprimenumber »

noiseredux wrote:personally, I but games I want to play BUT I also buy lots of games at yard sales just to add them to my trade list to get more games that I actually want to play. Haha.

yeah that's always a good plan. i do something somewhat similar. in fact if anyone's looking for PN 30 for Gamecube I have it, Complete too 8)
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

optmusprimenumber wrote:yeah that's always a good plan. i do something somewhat similar. in fact if anyone's looking for PN 30 for Gamecube I have it, Complete too 8)

Don't tempt me.
coastercrazy10
64-bit

Post by coastercrazy10 »

optmusprimenumber wrote:Just curious... do you guys actually like AALLLL these games you get or are you just trying to have every possible game made ever? :? it just appears that some of you buy them indiscriminately

I typically buy in lots so I end up obtaining games I wouldn't otherwise want, but since I paid for them I might as well keep them. I wouldn't buy a lot of stuff unless it had some things in there that I wanted and/or duplicates I could re-sell.

I think the B2G2 sale was a good excuse for people to pick up the games that have been tempting them for a while at a good price. I know whenever I go into gamestop there are usually like five games that I would buy if the prices were better, and since the sale permitted that people are going crazy. I spent $130 on 12 games for B2G2 but when you're talking about games like Shadow Hearts, Okami, Shin Mega Ten Nocturne, and the complete fatal frame series, those are definitely good prices if you evenly divide them. Plus I'm going to play them some day.

-Ben
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I'll buy a game, even if I am not certain that I will like it, however, it is always in hopes of enjoying a new game, and the surprise that it is good without doing prior research.

Most of the time, I will have a pretty good idea about the game though, especially if I am spending any kind of big money on it

IMO, spending money on a game makes you enjoy the game more, so even mediocre games are worth a penny or two.

For instance, I probably would have enjoyed MUSHA a lot more had I not played it for the first time on am emulator. It might sound silly, but a lot more of my attention and willingness to be open to a game comes from seking it down, snagging a good deal or getting a really prestine copy, and even opening it and examining it, all give the game I have just bought a much better chance at winning me over.

That went kind of off topic, but w/e =)
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

I have had a lot of good luck with rare controllers lately! First, that PS1 Dual Analog for $6, and just today, I found a brand new, CIB Dreamcast Capcom Fighting Pad! It came with all the manuals, the plastic bag and everything! And I got it for... $5! :D I also got Omega Boost for PS1 CIB for $2, but that is less of a big deal.

Here are some pictures:
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

lisalover1 wrote:Image

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

lisalover1 wrote:I have had a lot of good luck with rare controllers lately! First, that PS1 Dual Analog for $6, and just today, I found a brand new, CIB Dreamcast Capcom Fighting Pad! It came with all the manuals, the plastic bag and everything! And I got it for... $5! :D I also got Omega Boost for PS1 CIB for $2, but that is less of a big deal.
:shock: Nice catch on the Fighting Pad!

noiseredux wrote:
Opa Opa wrote:

I only buy games I know I want to play...

Although, it appears that CRT has gone crazy during the B2G2 sale. :lol:
but if you read his posts, he's always researched the games it seems. Like he obviously wants them for some reason.

personally, I but games I want to play BUT I also buy lots of games at yard sales just to add them to my trade list to get more games that I actually want to play. Haha.
Most games I buy, I already know something about them. Sometimes I do find one I never heard of and buy it anyways. Gamestop has a great try if you don't like used game seven day return policy. I will also buy a game because of rarity, only returning if its outright crappy. Gamecube NEC Tube Sliders comes to mind. An okay game but worth keeping, because of the game company name. I also enjoy getting games that are different, offering new ways to play.

As far as research, I have Four favorite review sites:

Of course the Forums here on Racketboy as well as the Hidden Gems articles. :D

Wikipedia, this is where I get all the weird trivia for games, sometimes I'll update Wiki with info I come across as well. It is a great resource in finding out about exclusive levels in Greatest Hits and Limited Editions, a bonus music CD or a special hologram cover.
PS2 Spidey Hologram.jpg
PS2 Spidey Hologram.jpg (177.17 KiB) Viewed 1332 times

http://www.videogamecritic.net/
A great listing of games broken down by system. Even if a cross platform game is not under say PS2, a chance it might be reviewed under Gamecube. Quick page loading without all the bloated ads you see on IGN and Gamespot.
Amazon, no kidding. Reviews directly from various customers. Seems to be a good unbiased source for deciding on an unknown game.

I then check the Gamestop site to verify locations and availability of various games. Came in handy during the B2G2F week of price matching the freebies.

Another two from the B2G2F last week

Super Monkeyball Deluxe - $9.99
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/super-monkey-ball-dx/35157
No not Super Monkey Ball Adventure. This is where the research pays off. A compilation of the two Gamecube releases in one package with additional levels. Plays like the Arcade game Marble Madness, but instead of just rolling the ball the play field is tilted.

As in another roll the ball game PS2 Mojo,
This is a perfect game to play with the Split Fish Tilt sensor. :D

Super Monkeyball Deluxe is HDLoader 8b compatible! :mrgreen:

The attachment Gamestop Haul 04-20-2011e.jpg is no longer available

PS2 Sky Gunner - $3.99
http://www.gamestop.com/ps2/games/sky-gunner/20496
Mentioned earlier of collecting games because of the company name. Almost every Atlus game is a hit, both for playability and collectability. This one is not the normal rapid fire 2d game as in Gunstar Heroes. For some reason Atlus games are hard to find and surprisingly inexpensive at Gamestop. An Arcade Flight Sim, love the lockon view and fireworks when the target is hit by the missiles. The camera keeps both the plane and enemy in sight, rotating around the view during a fly by. The rolling camera affect brings back flying Jet Fighter II. 8)

A bonus extra, this game can be played with an Arcade Digital Stick. 8)

Sky Gunner is HDAdvance compatible! :mrgreen:
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 5 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

FiftyDollarCurse
128-bit

Post by FiftyDollarCurse »

Another outstanding week, I was able to hit a few out of town stores this week so I picked up some great stuff:

Thrift stores:

DreamCast game:
NBA Hoopz (complete) - $3.00 NBA Jam-style game, right? Looking forward to trying it out.

PlayStation games:
Skydiving Extreme (complete) - $3.00 I know there was quite an "extreme" trend in the last 90s, but I don't think I've ever come across a game in the skydiving genre before.
Blaster Master: Blasting Again (complete) - $3.00 Late release PS1 game, doesn't enjoy the best reputation. I like Blaster Master though, so really wanted this.
MediEvil (no manual) - $3.00 Usually avoid incomplete disc games, but I've wanted to play this for a long time. Glad I snatched it up.

N64 games:
NHL Blades of Steel '99 - $2.00 I know this is nothing like the original Blades of Steel but I was intrigued enough to drop 2 bucks on it.

Genesis games:
Ecco: The Tides of Time (complete) - $2.00 Duplicate copy, anyone want to trade?

SNES games:
Super Mario World - $2.00
Extreme Pinball: Behind the Mask - $2.00
Paperboy 2 - $2.00
Wing Commander - $2.00 All four of these are available for trade!
Congo's Caper - $2.00 Odd game I've never heard of before. Kind of an amalgam of Bonk and Sonic.
Art of Fighting - $2.00 I know nothing about this game.

NES games:
The Simpsons: Bart vs. The Space Mutant - $1.00
Friday the 13th - $1.00 Not the greatest games, but hard to deny the price.

GameBoy games:
Mortal Kombat II - $0.50 Took this out of a busted up GameBoy so it had no price tag. Rung up as 50 cents. Yay!

Pawn Shop:
NES games - $3.00 or 4 for $10.00 = $2.50 each
The Legend of Zelda
Mega Man
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Quattro Adventure
8 Eyes
Xexyz
Snake, Rattle & Roll
Shadowgate
Stealth ATF
Mendel Palace
Solstice
RoboCop 2

A few duplicates for my collection, but all pretty cool games! I don't know what compelled someone to number them like that, but since they were coming off with some spit on my thumb I'm not to worried about them cleaning up good.