Video Game "Look what I found"

Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Finds of the Day"

Post by wclem »

Considering what resellers sell that for I would say finding for $8 is pretty good. I thought when the Finds of Year thread was made we got rid of these kind of negative comments?[/quote]

It isn't a negative comment - its an attempt to find out what exactly was $8.

Simply posting a pic and saying "$8" doesn't do anything for anyone. If its the snes mini, good find. If its the cart, meh, ok. Either way, if you're going to take the time to snap a pic and make a post, at a minimum tell us what it is / where you got it, etc.

And as stated before, the finds of the day "should" still have something interesting to it, a back story, a great price, unique, etc. Otherwise it ruins the thread for the actual interesting posts. If everyone one of us posted every single thing we bought - just put a price out there, no story, nothing interesting, what is the point - seriously?

Finds of the year won't get posts everyday, or every week for that matter.

I like this thread a lot, I check it everyday - which is why I fought to keep it as it was, but now that it has more a free reign, it is getting sillier and sillier with the stuff people will put in here.

I'm gonna go start a thread, "Bills I paid this month". (<that isn't negative either, sarcastic, yes, negative, no.)[/quote]

It was the game. How is that not obvious??

Either you can't infer from a simple picture or you were just belittling the post from the get go.[/quote]

Exactly man. You know, when I was a young child, lets say 16, finding a copy of SMW/All Stars for 8 bucks would be an awesome find. Does the 37 year old me have less of a right to be excited for it? Is there something wrong with a 16 or 37 year old me sharing it? If you want to critique everyones post or say your nasty comments then what you are gonna end up with is a very limited and small amount of members. Though if you are going for an exclusive group then you are going to achieve it.

1st post or millionth, everyone has the right to post something the legitimately feel worth posting without fear of someone trashing it. These people in most cases are posting things they want to share as their find of the day. Obviously they are proud of it and should not be made to feel any less just because they didnt steal it for a 1.99.

EDIT screwed up the quote thing, oh well......
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Thanks for the positive comments and giving support in my quest of the bike.

CRTGAMER wrote:Can we knock off judging and arguing over the posts and just enjoy any post? Post just a price or post a story, who cares just enjoy the ride. In my case hopefully riding a Gamebike. :D

I went back this morning and gave the Store Manager two copies of the printout that I posted earlier concerning the Gamebike. I'm still not clear who is the senior manager, last time I talked to someone else. Anyways, the Store Manager at first stated that they could not post personal ads at their store. I explained the uniqueness of what the Exercise Bike can do and showed him the controller that I bought and his eyes lit up in surprise. I explained how one could control a bike or car on the TV screen thru a Playstation by operating the exercise bike's pedals and handlebars. He smiled sharing my eagerness and told me he would clear it with the local Corporate office.

Meanwhile the cashier was watching all this and gave me hope. She told me she remembered the customer buying it as well as me coming in the other day talking to the other manager. She has seen the customer come in every once in a while and will pass on my cell number. I hope the customer makes the connection and really wants to find out why the exercise bike has electrical cables hanging off the handlebar. Just maybe she will be curious of what is missing, I already plan on offering double of what she paid for it. At least I want to let her know that I will buy it a year later once she grows tired of the bike.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

wclem, I feel we have always had a good rapport and I have no beef with you, but I can't help but feel that your comments above were directed at me (at least in part) since I started questioning the purpose of this thread back on the 1st of January...

My "whining" about the declining quality of the thread was quickly confirmed by other folks ("co-whiners" to you, I guess). There was obviously a contingent of us who were unhappy with the direction of the thread, and so after some extensive debate and discussion we came to the conclusion that we'd just leave the thread do what it will and have a separate "Finds of the Year" thread to alleviate the most common complaint. That's an experiment still in progress, and there has been little to no whining since.

wclem wrote:CRTGamer, keep it up man. I don't care if you post a pic of your shit and call it a find of the day.

For the record I find CRT's posts in this thread and elsewhere on the forum to be extremely comprehensive, often interesting to read, and (most of the time) on point for what's going on in the thread. That said, he and many others did post some "finds" here that were market value/not especially interesting compared to what the thread had traditionally been. This was a genesis for the "whining", and he wasn't meant to be singled out at all (as was pointed out at the time).

You contribute more to this site than any of the Admins or moderators.

I know the amount of work my fellow mods and admins do in the forums, on the main site, and behind the scenes. While CRT certainly has made a bunch of contributions to the forums (especially the guides/tech help sections), you are way off the mark in your assessment here.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

lwcook wrote:It was the game. How is that not obvious??

Exactly my thoughts...

Had it been the system (+ game) I think he would've taken a picture of more than 1 inch of the console's plastic... :lol:

As for how and what to post and not post in this thread. Just read the OP on page one...

CaptainWeasel wrote:Okay, I have been thinking about doing this for a while, and a certain new topic just happened to come up, so here it is. This is the topic you will put your finds in. If you received a gaming-related item and were thinking about posting a topic, STOP AND POST IT HERE.

So, with input from other racketboy members, we can make this an interesting thread. I love what other people find at flea markets, garage/yard sales, and pawn shops, but we have to consolidate these posts to reduce clutter.

Posting is simple... all you have to do is tell everyone what you got, where you got it, and how much you paid for the items. Pictures aren't necessary, but sure are a bonus.

I mean, how hard can it be?...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

wclem wrote:Exactly man. You know, when I was a young child, lets say 16, finding a copy of SMW/All Stars for 8 bucks would be an awesome find. Does the 37 year old me have less of a right to be excited for it? Is there something wrong with a 16 or 37 year old me sharing it?

1st post or millionth, everyone has the right to post something the legitimately feel worth posting without fear of someone trashing it. These people in most cases are posting things they want to share as their find of the day. Obviously they are proud of it and should not be made to feel any less just because they didnt steal it for a 1.99.

We won't have a consensus on what a find is, we know that, and it is understood.

For the record: "A find", as defined: - "to succeed at through great effort", or, "to happen upon, often by accident", or, "to obtain or acquire by effort".

That is what I like to see and that is why I enjoy CRT's posts in this thread (and others), not necessarily something "elite". The post today did none of those things. Often, the great many of us "scroll past". Sometimes we comment.

I think the comments in this thread, but in others, are a direct link to hobie's analogy about some other forums. You are concerned some people will leave if they feel they shouldn't post something. My concern is that some of the very good posters will leave when they see the lazy or otherwise pointless and (admittedly) meh posts - and go to a forum where that stuff doesn't exist.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Posting is simple... all you have to do is tell everyone what you got, where you got it, and how much you paid for the items.

Thanks Chris. See, it IS about the story.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

ever thought of the title? it says of the day. so basically, the best thing you got TODAY and EVERYDAY.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

vlame wrote:ever thought of the title? it says of the day. so basically, the best thing you got TODAY and EVERYDAY.

It also says "Find".
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

mjmjr25 wrote:
vlame wrote:ever thought of the title? it says of the day. so basically, the best thing you got TODAY and EVERYDAY.

It also says "Find".

It also says "Video Game."

Wait...why are we doing this again?
wclem
Next-Gen

Post by wclem »

lwcook wrote:
mjmjr25 wrote:

It also says "Find".

It also says "Video Game."

Wait...why are we doing this again?

Because I couldn't take it anymore. I just finally tired of the posts. DS, this was never aimed at you. As for the work people do, I see what I see. I am sure there is behinds the scene stuff, maybe what I should say is simply that you are not using someone who has taken an extreme interest in this site and I see people who are actually are getting on him for his lengthy efforts.

I have just read enough of people comments, it is not in the interest of this forum for people to make negative comments about someone post. If it isnt in the rules it should be. I have said enough though, I will not comment on it again. People here can do as they wish, I will not comment on it. If it persist I will waste my small amount of idle time elsewhere.

By the way I paid 18 bucks for mega man 7, torn label and all. Dont even know if it works but it was find for me. If you dont like it feel free to comment. I will remain very happy with it regardless. My find of the day!
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.