Video Game "Look what I found"

Post deals, brag about finds, etc.
harper
Next-Gen

Re: Video Game "Finds of the Day"

Post by harper »

Breetai wrote:Small story on this one:

I went to a local Value Village (similar to Goodwill/Salvation Army) and was happy to pick up a nice condition KOTOR for X-Box. I just started collecting for X-Box recently, so this was a major hole in my collection I was missing. $2.99 was a good price to pay for it.

The best thing though started with me seeing a copy of PS1 Final Fantasy XI in case. I picked it to realize that the front cover wasn't really a front cover... it was a printed front cover. So was the back cover. So was the label on the four discs. The discs were ripped copies. Hey, they are not supposed to be selling this! I noticed there was a PS1 original console sitting below. Just hook-ups, but no controllers. Then... I had a light-bulb turn on over my head. If there is a burnt copy of a game there... maybe, just maybe... the PS1 is modded. I brought it over to the TV section, noticed no employee was around, and hooked a TV up to a socket and the PS1 up to the TV. I put in the ripped FFIX and turned it on. Yay, modded PS1 for $7! I took it hope, cleaned it up, and it works like a charm.

This actually also happened to me recently (sort of), I was at Goodwill looking through where they keep the games and got excited when I found a bunch decent of PS1 games. Then I realized they were all burned copies. I also thought maybe they'd have a PS1 laying around (modded of course) but nope, unlike you I was not so lucky. Oh well, they charge $5 per game and I wouldn't want to spend that much for a burned game anyway.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Ziggy587 wrote:Awesome! What model PS1 is it? (model number is on bottom sticker)

7501. Last model before they took out the serial port. So, it's a decent model I think. It's only missing direct s-video output. :P
Last edited by Breetai on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Breetai wrote:The best thing though started with me seeing a copy of PS1 Final Fantasy XI in case. I picked it to realize that the front cover wasn't really a front cover... it was a printed front cover. So was the back cover. So was the label on the four discs. The discs were ripped copies. Hey, they are not supposed to be selling this! I noticed there was a PS1 original console sitting below. Just hook-ups, but no controllers. Then... I had a light-bulb turn on over my head. If there is a burnt copy of a game there... maybe, just maybe... the PS1 is modded. I brought it over to the TV section, noticed no employee was around, and hooked a TV up to a socket and the PS1 up to the TV. I put in the ripped FFIX and turned it on. Yay, modded PS1 for $7! I took it hope, cleaned it up, and it works like a charm.

:shock: Very nice, great detective work! Maybe the same person soldf it to the store, a great find!

Breetai wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:Awesome! What model PS1 is it? (model number is on bottom sticker)
7500. Last model before they took out the serial port. So, it's a decent model I think. It's only missing direct s-video output. :P

You have one of the best models. It has both the Sound Scope CD Music Player (Try it) and still has the cheat cart port. The missing SVideo port is not a big deal, was only on early models that would not play FMV files that well. Any PS1-PS2-PS3 SVideo cable works fine.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, I have a 7501 myself. I've been told that it has the same CD drive as the 900x, which is suppose to be the best CD drive out of all of the models. Nice find!
mobiusclimber
128-bit

Post by mobiusclimber »

I found a PAL PS2 system and a Japanese PS1 system at thrift stores. It makes me want to check every damn system I see, LOL.
I have a ton of games listed at my store's site: Super Smash Video Games
Bikeage
128-bit

Post by Bikeage »

aaron wrote:
Bikeage wrote:I'm going to post what I consider a find here whether anyone likes it or not. Found College Slam for Sega Saturn CIB at Goodwill today for $1.... got a problem with that?!? It may be a common Saturn game, but finding any CIB Saturn games at a local thrift store is rare for me. Want a story behind it? I was high as hell when I walked in there, and flirted with the ugly girl working the register.

were the hinges intact? i just bought like 5 Sega CD games for the cases at goodwill the other day. i don't even really collect anymore but when i see stuff like that at a thrift store, i just have to rescue it. i don't know why.

also, i know we're both in indiana, so i have to ask was it a natural high or were you smoking shit out of lightbulbs?

The case was pretty beat up and dirty, but intact. And lets just say I was high on life.
Smoking lightbulbs? I'm afraid to google that.
elmagicochrisg
Next-Gen

Post by elmagicochrisg »

Bikeage wrote:Smoking lightbulbs? I'm afraid to google that.

Basically it's the same as the smoke bubble in the picture below. It's a pyrex bowl with a pyrex straw. You put your weed in the bowl, close it, heat the bubble with a lighter, and suck up the fumes. It's basically a cheap vaporizer. I wouldn't make one myself though. Better to buy one than make one out of an old lightbulb me thinks...
Downside is that the bowl gets really hot, and the air you pull in your lungs is far too hot too because of that. So don't put your lips completely around the straw. That way you can suck in some fresh cold air too to cool down the fumes...

Even better. Make hash oil. It's better for your lungs, very potent, and the best way to use it for medicinal purposes...

I made some for one of my cats that has cancer. She's doing just fine and the cancer seems to be going away. She eats like crazy, and she has cotton mouth. Other than that she seems to be doing fine... :lol:

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new, odorless and sealed)

All forum members are equal. But some are more equal than others. - George Orwell
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Breetai wrote:The best thing though started with me seeing a copy of PS1 Final Fantasy XI in case. I picked it to realize that the front cover wasn't really a front cover... it was a printed front cover. So was the back cover. So was the label on the four discs. The discs were ripped copies. Hey, they are not supposed to be selling this! I noticed there was a PS1 original console sitting below. Just hook-ups, but no controllers. Then... I had a light-bulb turn on over my head. If there is a burnt copy of a game there... maybe, just maybe... the PS1 is modded. I brought it over to the TV section, noticed no employee was around, and hooked a TV up to a socket and the PS1 up to the TV. I put in the ripped FFIX and turned it on. Yay, modded PS1 for $7! I took it hope, cleaned it up, and it works like a charm.

:shock: Very nice, great detective work! Maybe the same person soldf it to the store, a great find!

Breetai wrote:
7500. Last model before they took out the serial port. So, it's a decent model I think. It's only missing direct s-video output. :P

You have one of the best models. It has both the Sound Scope CD Music Player (Try it) and still has the cheat cart port. The missing SVideo port is not a big deal, was only on early models that would not play FMV files that well. Any PS1-PS2-PS3 SVideo cable works fine.

as far as i know, no american model has s-video ports...
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Went to Goodwill today and found (but didn't buy) a few nes games, nothing was particularly worth their flat rate of $5. So I went to the back of the store where they keep the electronics. I looked all around, even checked the basket of cords for something useful. Nothin. The I realized they did some rearranging and when I looked up, on the top of the shelf, I saw this...

I got really freakin excited and thought..."oh god, how much is this going to cost? watch there not even be anything in it." I waited for everyone around me to go away so I could get the box. Everything inside looks awesome and is in great condition.

Too bad the games weren't anything too great. But the console itself literally has no scratches and looks amazing and best of all everything works great also. And when I tried out the controllers I was pleased to find that the buttons aren't as loose as I'm used to them being on others I've used, so it seems like maybe this thing was hardly even used. So I'm pretty happy with it for $15. :D
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Nice find - the official GEN AC adapters can be tough to find, getting it all boxed/bundle like that is pretty sweet.