The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Are Cuphead and other difficult games ableist?

by Exhuminator Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 am

yaktaur wrote:If you're a player of a game and it rubs you the wrong way because somebody's getting to the end of it easier than you because you're playing it at the REAL difficulty, you should examine why you care about how other people are playing the game.

And if you're a game developer you should examine why you only want to make it so that the Lucky Few get to play your game.

Both of those points of contention are actually strawman arguments, and have been dissected and debunked as being the purpose of uncompromising difficulty, within this very thread. Gunstar Green is right, this thread is just going in circles now.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
yaktaur
8-bit

by yaktaur Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:05 pm

Last edited by yaktaur on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:11 am

Still working my way through this entire thread but it does seem circular. Great job by Gunstar early on bringing up color blindness and interactive gaming experience versus watching a movie.

I'm color blind, but oddly enough not the common, red/green variant they test you for at DMV. I have trouble with greys, blues, greens. Also distinguishing between dark navy & black is rough for me. I could never be an airline pilot. It is what it is. I don't expect them to make special flight instruments so I can be a pilot.

Next folks will want books to have less latin origin words. Let's keep them all at grade school reading level so everyone can enjoy the best sellers list.... :lol:

The actual game development and creative liberty aspect is a non issue to me. This is an interesting dicussion, but strictly from a sociology perspective to me. Our everyone gets a trophy and PC society is now turning to hard video games. We need to focus on disabilities in school and the job force... not gaming.

Wait... Luke (former member?) has one hand? How'd I miss that? Love that "like a boss" quote.
Return to Games As Culture