The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by Exhuminator Wed May 11, 2016 9:22 am

noiseredux wrote:It's akin to when you're a kid and you get one new game and play the heck out of it for a long time. Because I'm not hoarding physical games, I just buy the one game I want to play when I want to play it - I then actually play it and focus on it and enjoy it for hours.

So you're going to be avoiding Steam bundle sales I take it. :lol:
noiseredux wrote:So basically I just feel like I've figured out how games best fit into my own life.

While I can't agree on platform exclusivity, it's great that you've found an avenue that works for you, and that lets you game happily. If you ever want any recommendations on PC games, let me know. I've played a... few.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed May 11, 2016 9:26 am

Their loss is my gain (and my bank account's annihilation).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Their loss is my gain (and my bank account's annihilation).

Speaking of, I've so far only listed maybe 1/3rd of the stuff I'm planning to sell. :wink:

Exhuminator wrote:So you're going to be avoiding Steam bundle sales I take it. :lol:

Mostly, yeah. I certainly bought a lot of bundles when I first got into PC gaming, but for the most part don't anymore. The exception is if there's something I want to play now IN the bundle. Usually I'll give away/trade the other stuff that comes bundled though.
Ack

by Ack Wed May 11, 2016 9:50 am

Yeah, Steam bundles have become something I generally avoid. I have a lot of games on my Steam account that I bought for dirt cheap that now I wonder whether I will ever get to and frankly don't interest me nearly as much as some of the awesome older titles that I have access to. In general my game buying has slacked off over the last few years.

The nice thing about noise moving into PC territory is that there are so many classics on the PC side that he missed. Sure, Exhum, some of us have played some of the PC classics. But noise? He's practically virginal in this realm. And considering the focus of this site has generally been on console games and only recently began looking at PC stuff, well, there are a lot of folks here who have never touched much of the PC side outside of maybe the likes of Doom or certain other big names. With noise making a transition, it's a chance for us old hands to say, "Here are the classics you missed!"

Also, time noise played Heretic.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 11, 2016 9:59 am

Ack makes a fair point. Though I was into PC gaming as a lad, I actually missed out on PC gaming from like 1999-2009 completely. And that window gets bigger if you realize that even when I was into PC gaming at those times, I couldn't play *everything* I wanted to. So there really was a lot of stuff that I wasn't exposed to that I'm still catching up on.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed May 11, 2016 10:03 am

I think it's a cyclical thing, people purge their game collections regularly. After all tastes change and what you once thought was a cool game now might be something you don't care much.

For example, I cut my collection from around 100 titles to 50 but I'm now getting more games again.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed May 11, 2016 10:06 am

^that's true, too. I tend to go through "Spring cleaning" phases and so on. This one has just been more extreme as I've shifted my priorities hobby-wise. I still will pick up any cheap/cool PC games I see physically at thrift shops, etc.
Ack

by Ack Wed May 11, 2016 10:08 am

Erik_Twice wrote:I think it's a cyclical thing, people purge their game collections regularly. After all tastes change and what you once thought was a cool game now might be something you don't care much.

For example, I cut my collection from around 100 titles to 50 but I'm now getting more games again.

Yeah, I'd say this is a piece of it.

I'd also argue that some of it is just getting through a library. To use myself as an example, I have a ton of games, so I tend not to replay stuff that I've beaten. This helps to keep me moving forward, but there is a lot of stuff I've left in my wake where I went in, focused, and then moved on. Like fighting games for the SNES, which a decade ago I was heavily raving about and now...well, I've beaten them, so I don't go back. It's off to new vistas, new horizons, and new experiences in other places.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

Ack wrote:It's off to new vistas, new horizons, and new experiences in other places.

Yes, and that's why I like to mix up my platforms often. Exploring genres is one thing, exploring them on various platforms is another. For example... I just beat some PC98 games, then a SFC one, now I'm playing PS2, and I plan to hit up Virtual Boy and PC88 after that. Every platform has its own "feel" for a lack of a better term, and I like to experience the variety of feels. Just speaking personally here, not criticizing anyone's life choices or anything.

I am looking forward to seeing how Noise handles some of the venerable PC classics. For example; I love reading about what newcomers think of such games as System Shock, Thief, Fallout, LOOM, and Cobra Mission: Panic in Cobra City.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed May 11, 2016 10:25 am

Exhuminator wrote:Cobra Mission: Panic in Cobra City.

:lol:

Nice job slippin' that one into the list.
Return to Games As Culture