The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by Exhuminator Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:50 pm

My thing is I like to vote with my money straight to the publisher though. For example, I preordered Dragon Quest VII for 3DS, despite not planning to play it immediately. I did so to help send a message to Nintendo; "Yes people do still love Dragon Quest in the USA, and yes we do want real RPGs on your handhelds." Granted my one little sale may only constitute a 0.000001% level of influence, but at least I can say I wasn't part of the apathy collective.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:56 pm

I get that. And I do the same to extent. Though I often feel the need to play the game that I'm voting for with my dollars. IE: I pre-ordered Overwatch, played it at launch. I tend to sort of plan my gaming schedule knowing when games I'm interested in are coming out, and often buy them/play them immediately.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:47 pm

Exhuminator wrote:My thing is I like to vote with my money straight to the publisher though. For example, I preordered Dragon Quest VII for 3DS, despite not planning to play it immediately. I did so to help send a message to Nintendo; "Yes people do still love Dragon Quest in the USA, and yes we do want real RPGs on your handhelds." Granted my one little sale may only constitute a 0.000001% level of influence, but at least I can say I wasn't part of the apathy collective.

That's my thinking. That's why I have tons of Vita and Wii U games (and a number of PS4 games) that I pre-ordered despite the fact that it will be 2017 (if not 2018) before I actually get around to playing them. Especially Wii U - some of those games I bought with little intention of playing (Resident Evil: Revelations, for example; I prefer it on 3DS, but I bought it on Wii U to support the console and to have in my Wii U collection).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Yep. For certain games, I will buy them day-one. Dragon Quest is one of those series, at least for the mainline games (I haven't picked up the musou game). I must confess, though, that most of the time I do that, they're games that are on my "immediate play" list. I will drop everything for Dragon Quest. Everything. Good thing I finished up Xenoblade Chronicles X!

I want more Dragon Quest. I want it to catch fire over here. I think DQVIII is as close as we've gotten, although I don't know the raw numbers on DQIX. I'm hoping DQXI turns out awesome, because I'll be buying that right off, too.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Sarge wrote:Yep. For certain games, I will buy them day-one. Dragon Quest is one of those series, at least for the mainline games (I haven't picked up the musou game). I must confess, though, that most of the time I do that, they're games that are on my "immediate play" list. I will drop everything for Dragon Quest. Everything. Good thing I finished up Xenoblade Chronicles X!

I want more Dragon Quest. I want it to catch fire over here. I think DQVIII is as close as we've gotten, although I don't know the raw numbers on DQIX. I'm hoping DQXI turns out awesome, because I'll be buying that right off, too.

Replace "Dragon Quest" with "Hyperdimension Neptunia," and that's a perfect description of me. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Sarge wrote:I want more Dragon Quest. I want it to catch fire over here.

Then you better buy this buster:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:13 pm

I am less enthusiastic about the spinoffs, though. I'll wait to see how Builders turns out before shelling out my hard-earned money on it. It's a bit like the ridiculousness of staking the series on Dragon Quest Heroes, a game that isn't even in the same genre as the mainline series.

Rocket Slime is the bee's knees, though.
Return to Games As Culture