The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
yaktaur
8-bit
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:57 am

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by yaktaur Fri May 27, 2016 9:39 am

For me, if the system isn't having new games made for it it's retro, but that circle doesn't necessarily overlap with the circle of retro games I'm interested in playing

It's not really important
Marina0403
8-bit
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:39 am

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by Marina0403 Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Now is such a time. We need to adapt to it. Today, as in the heyday of the great empire, the world stands on the purchases and sales
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10080
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:36 pm

Marina0403 wrote:Now is such a time. We need to adapt to it. Today, as in the heyday of the great empire, the world stands on the purchases and sales


<booming voice>

INDEED...NOW...AS IN THE DAYS OF OUR ANCESTORS...AS IT WAS DURING THE GREAT EMPIRE AND AS IT SHALL BE AGAIN IN THE DAYS PROMISED TO US BY THE ANCIENT ONES...THE PRICES OF USED VIDEO GAMES SHALL BE DETERMINED BY THE INEXPLICABLE FORCES OF THE GREAT TWIN DEITIES: THE MOST WISE AND BEAUTIFUL "SUPPLY" AND HER CAPRICIOUS BROTHER "DEMAND"...

GAZE UPON THEM IN AWE AND DISBELIEF AND MARVEL AT HOW THE PRICES OF THOSE THEY FAVOR ASCEND TO THE HEAVENS WHILE THE PRICES OF ACCURSED "SPORTS" GAMES LANGUISH IN MISERY! BEHOLD THEIR POWER AND WEEP! TRULY, THE WORLD STANDS UPON PURCHASES AND SALES!
User avatar
strangenova
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1230
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 pm
Location: Louisiana

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by strangenova Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:45 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Marina0403 wrote:Now is such a time. We need to adapt to it. Today, as in the heyday of the great empire, the world stands on the purchases and sales


<booming voice>

INDEED...NOW...AS IN THE DAYS OF OUR ANCESTORS...AS IT WAS DURING THE GREAT EMPIRE AND AS IT SHALL BE AGAIN IN THE DAYS PROMISED TO US BY THE ANCIENT ONES...THE PRICES OF USED VIDEO GAMES SHALL BE DETERMINED BY THE INEXPLICABLE FORCES OF THE GREAT TWIN DEITIES: THE MOST WISE AND BEAUTIFUL "SUPPLY" AND HER CAPRICIOUS BROTHER "DEMAND"...

GAZE UPON THEM IN AWE AND DISBELIEF AND MARVEL AT HOW THE PRICES OF THOSE THEY FAVOR ASCEND TO THE HEAVENS WHILE THE PRICES OF ACCURSED "SPORTS" GAMES LANGUISH IN MISERY! BEHOLD THEIR POWER AND WEEP! TRULY, THE WORLD STANDS UPON PURCHASES AND SALES!

HAIL!! LONG LIVE THE GREAT EMPIRE!
User avatar
Nintendork666
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by Nintendork666 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:49 am

Fragems wrote:Probably a combination of people moving to emulation and getting out of the market while game values are still high.


noiseredux wrote:I'm going 100% PC.


*fist bump*

8)
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
User avatar
Nintendork666
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by Nintendork666 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:52 am

I'm at a point in my life now where video games are no longer a central hobby for me, and when I do play - I'm interested in the new stuff. Anything else I can just emulate. Plus I'm currently living off of ebay sales, so everything just sort of fell into place.

(nice to be back guys)
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
User avatar
pteague87
8-bit
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 am
Location: West Georgia

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by pteague87 Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:12 pm

I had a mega collection to start (about 24 consoles , 2 or 3 hundred games) back when i started around 16. I sold all that to get an xbox 360 collection (176 games when sold) . Every time I have sold one collection I just started another. Most recently, I sold my entire Saturn collection about four years ago. I only had the system, regular controller, and about 14 games and NiGHTS into Dreams with the controller. About a month later I started scavenging Dreamcast games. About a year after that, I had amassed several Dreamcasts, controllers, and about 70 Dreamcast games mainly from the flea market, local game stores, a couple rare "Ebayers",etc. I sold all that. WHYYY? Honestly I was loosing the thrill of scavenging because there were no more to hunt. I was a glorified hoarder. That may not seem too bad to most, and at the time it wasn't for me. I now started the Dreamcast collection again but this time with only games I truly enjoy playing. I love Dreamcast and almost all it has to offer, but now I have a select about 20 very nice condition games (Ones I truely love) and I've been trying to stick to homebrew as to keep myself from getting bored. Now before I get blasted for someone saying " You're saying we're all hoarders," or "You're dissing collectors in general." That's not what I mean in the least. ME, PERSONALLY, just had to get away from the addiction of wanting every triplicate, or game with no case I came across even if I was broke as crap. Yeah it was an addiction for me. I have to force myself to say, "No, I would play that once."Now I've got it down to a leisurely hobby.
September 9th, 1999. A day that will live in infamy.
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7194
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by Sarge Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Don't blame you on that one. While I don't sell my stuff (and thusly have a very large collection), I'm pretty choosy about what actually ends up in it. Unless a game is really, really cheap, I'm not going to add something that's pretty awful to my collection. There are a ton of NES games that I could purchase that I don't have, but I really don't have any impetus to do so.

So yeah, buy what you enjoy, and enjoy the hunt. :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10080
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Sarge wrote:I'm not going to add something that's pretty awful to my collection.


I intentionally add games to my collection that are really, really, truly, 100% awful. I have no space for mediocrity, however.
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7398
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:53 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Sarge wrote:I'm not going to add something that's pretty awful to my collection.


I intentionally add games to my collection that are really, really, truly, 100% awful. I have no space for mediocrity, however.

This is me, too. I've been intentionally searching for a CIB copy of Ride to Hell Retribution.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests