Why is everyone selling everything right now?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Ack

Re: Why is everyone selling everything right now?

Post by Ack »

I guess since we're hitting noise with knowledge...

Ken's Labyrinth

Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Zone 66

Depth Dwellers

Heretic
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

wrong thread, Ack. Check the Summer one.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:wrong thread, Ack. Check the Summer one.

No, you got a present there too.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:I've wanted to play Hugo's for a while. The others are new to me. That scuba ones looks really interesting.

Scorched Earth is amazing. I spent hours and hours with it as a kid. I second Ex's recommendation.
Vant3c
16-bit

Post by Vant3c »

I'm in the process of selling almost everything that isn't PS2, PS3, PS4, Vita, Dreamcast, Saturn, Neo Geo or Neo Geo Pocket, and that's mainly because those are the few systems I have that I want that there aren't really convenient EverDrive-like solutions to. If I can ever manage to get the SD card solutions to the Dreamcast and Saturn, if Darksoft ever comes out with that SD2MVS thingie, and I ever get off my butt and do the hard drive thing for the PS2, I'll probably start cleaning out that stuff too. Well, probably just the PS2 for now - I have an unhealthy obsession with Sega and Neo.

I've been selling off stuff for a few reasons:
1) I gotta move at the end of the month, and the less stuff to move the better.
2) Sega Saturn is really the only old school system I play anymore, to be honest, so I've had unclaimed money taking up space for a while.
3) While I try to avoid emulation, I've never really had a problem with playing copies on original hardware. Sure, I'd prefer the real deal, but at the end of the day I don't need it.
4) I gotta eat.

Sure, it hurt a bit to sell off my childhood copies of Turtles In Time and Link to the Past, but what must be done must be done.

I have been doing the same thing as of late but on a much smaller scale. Right now for me is cleaning out the junk in my collections and focusing on the good to great games. Then from there cleaning that out till I truly know what I want to keep. Two things I know is my Dreamcast & Saturn collections. I have lots of games from Project Justice to Panzer Dragoon Saga that its hard for me to part with. But games on the Snes, Nes, Genesis and various other systems I will widdle those down to what I want and do not want.

The money that I make will be put back and be used " If I can pull it off " on a new house for me. It will be a down payment but that is really important to me right now. At this point it shows whats really important to me in collecting and what I can just let go and not feel seller's regret.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

I've reently been laid off from work. So I have been looking at some of my collection as a liquidable asset that I may have to live off of if worse comes to worse. First, though, I will sell my Magic collection. I think I could reasonably expect to get 10-12k from it before I have to start cutting deep into my gaming stuffs.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I've reently been laid off from work. So I have been looking at some of my collection as a liquidable asset that I may have to live off of if worse comes to worse. First, though, I will sell my Magic collection. I think I could reasonably expect to get 10-12k from it before I have to start cutting deep into my gaming stuffs.

damn that sucks bro, sorry about that
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Jmustang1968 wrote:I've reently been laid off from work. So I have been looking at some of my collection as a liquidable asset that I may have to live off of if worse comes to worse. First, though, I will sell my Magic collection. I think I could reasonably expect to get 10-12k from it before I have to start cutting deep into my gaming stuffs.

I'm sorry to hear this John. I wish we could hire you to be our datacenter tech, but 1.) they'd have to fire the guy doing the job first and 2.) it's in Dallas which I assume is too far? I've not looked at how far apart Houston and Dallas are before.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Stark wrote:

I'm sorry to hear this John. I wish we could hire you to be our datacenter tech, but 1.) they'd have to fire the guy doing the job first and 2.) it's in Dallas which I assume is too far? I've not looked at how far apart Houston and Dallas are before.

Appreciate the sentiments guys.

Dallas would definitely be a relocation and not a commute. It is about a 4ish hour drive from Houston. I would also be a fairly shoddy datacenter tech as well, no real experience in that kind of stuff, though working for a developer would be cool.

Even though the oil/gas/energy work here has really slowed up, there is still chemical work going on. I also have a few prospects. Went on an interview the afternoon of my last day at my previous employer. They seem to really like me, and are having me come in again next week. They would want to hire me at the end of the month or early June, so would just be an extended vacation if I do that. This job is also to be a manager for the department, it is a small company though, so would be over 5 people. But, that would still be a promotion of sorts over my previous position. Pay rate would be around the same, but that would be excellent as it is hard to maintain rate if laid off. Only issue is that it is 58 miles from my house. If it looks like they would be a good long term fit, they said they would want me to, and I would probably want to as well, relocate to that area of town.

But, I can't count the chickens before they hatch as the saying goes, I don't have the job until I sign the offer letter, so I continue to look and hope.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I hope you get it.
Jmustang1968 wrote:Only issue is that it is 58 miles from my house.

Just means you get to knock out a booklog via audiobooks. I drive 50 each way, and since I started doing audio books every day instead of the radio, about this time last year, I have gone through close to 100 fiction and non fiction.