SEGA to turn their IPs to film

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
CD AGES
Next-Gen

SEGA to turn their IPs to film

Post by CD AGES »

Or TV shows. This includes classics like Shinobi, Street of Rage, Altered Beast, Crazy Taxi, etc.

I would love a SoR series on TV. I just want Streets Of Rage back in any form :(

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/sega- ... 201377268/
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: SEGA to turn their IPs to film

Post by samsonlonghair »

No good can come of this.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Isn't this just typical hollywood stuffs?

I mean studios are always after that original IP property. 'Everything old is new again'

Comicbook movies are in, so somewhere out there some producer is thinking the same about videogames. They want to dive in and see how much money can be made from this.

Surely you heard the rumors of Nintendo movies out there from time to time.

Why not sega? A lot of its stuff is under the radar. Money will be spent to purchase the ideas and sega has nothing to lose selling the movie rights to some old 90's games.

I'm sure some of it will come out as crap. But the potential for at least something good can come out of this too.

They just have to work really hard to make a good plot of some of sega games.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Makes perfect sense to me. Other companies have already had huge successes with a wider revenue model for their IPs, like Namco, and Sega has the drive and contacts to do the same.

I think Nintendo will eventually move towards this route but they are a very small, very conservative company so it will take a long time.

Of course, the products themselves won't be any good but, oh well.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

There's the potential for fun stuff. Streets of Rage could be an enjoyable movie, especially if they make it super 90s and kind of ridiculous. Similarly, I think Fighting Vipers and Last Bronx have a lot of potential for over the top action-comedy with an interesting aesthetic.

Unfortunately I assume that the Hollywood-machine will suck anything interesting out of the properties. Golden Axe would become a bland Lord of the Rings-ripoff. Shinobi would be a forgettable action movie along the lines of The One. Crazy Taxi would try to rip off braindead lowbrow comedies like The Hangover except it would also be cut down to a PG-13 rating and completely kill the humor for any potential audience. I'm just imagining the Streets of Rage movie would be the Max Payne movie. Altered Beast might go for the "supernatural romance" route.
It probably won't be pretty...
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Sega Bass Fishing directed by Michael Bay.

My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I don't have high hopes for this, but I think that if any of these projects are a moderate success it might make a start for a new game.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

We may finally get a conclusion to Shenmue!
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

Though the article makes no mention of Shenmue, it does mention Crazy Taxi, another Dreamcast (originally Naomi) title so there is a possibility.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

GSZX1337 wrote:Though the article makes no mention of Shenmue, it does mention Crazy Taxi, another Dreamcast (originally Naomi) title so there is a possibility.

So basically this: Taxi.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys