A War Photographer Embeds Himself Inside LAST OF US!

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
SNKnicotine
128-bit

A War Photographer Embeds Himself Inside LAST OF US!

Post by SNKnicotine »

The Last of Us(LOU), is a video game that impacted me, like no other game and made me want to become a programmer. There is an article, in TIMES (website) describing the impact of this game on a war photographer. the photgrapher(Ashley Gilbertson). Ashley Gilbertson found himself experiencing some of the same emotions and stress' he had photographing various war theaters, so in the spirit of such feelings, he photographed some of the most beautiful scenes in the game.

Read the article here, enjoy!

IGN- http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/16/heres-what-a-photojournalist-did-with-the-last-of-us-remastereds-photo-mode

TIMES-http://lightbox.time.com/2014/09/15/war-photographer-video-game/#1
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
J T
Next-Gen

Re: A War Photographer Embeds Himself Inside LAST OF US!

Post by J T »

He condemns games while taking photos of them. Huh. It was interesting to see what a real war photographer does in the game space, nevertheless. Some of his shots are quite good, but I think we reach some similar levels of quality in our own screenshot thread, and nobody does it like DeadEndThrills..
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

I really thought the article was terrible.

When it comes down to it, it's yet another article in which someone claims videogames are "too violent" and turning people into mindless morally bankrupt zombies who don't understand real journalism which sounds awfully close to those complaints about instant gratification. It seems more of a rant against millenials and assorted young people than anything else and the misleading language like when he calls the zombies "people that are infected with some type of brain and flesh condition" is asinine.

The reason this is being given attention is simply the lack of confidence gaming has on itself. Having someone from the "outer world" talk about gaming shouldn't be news, frankly.

For comparison, Pérez Reverte (Captain Alatriste) who has covered wars in Eritrea, Cyprus, Bosnia, El Salvador, the Sahara, the Malvines, Libia, Sudan, Nicaragua and a dozen more bemoaned how him playing of Call of Duty could be seen as politically incorrect and thought that the game was fun even it was widly unrealistic. And he also had praise for those who play wargames, which are very often the target of similar complaints and has allowed roleplaying games of his books.

I also thought the pictures were terrible. C'mon, that comparison with the Pietá is ludicrous :lol:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
BRIK
Next-Gen

Post by BRIK »

I didn't find the screenshots that special to be honest. Most are what you'd expect to find in Kotaku. This article just screams "look at me, I'm a special photographer and I played a year old video game. Look at meeeeeee"
Plus, with wanker quotes such as: "I needed to make the shots imperfect because, I believe, imperfections make photography human." I found it very hard to read this article :lol:
Retro Game On's YouTube Channel << Featuring reviews, features and repair videos.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

BRIK wrote:Plus, with wanker quotes such as: "I needed to make the shots imperfect because, I believe, imperfections make photography human." I found it very hard to read this article :lol:

Aint that the truth.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I found this use of the photo mode more interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O85ZnBXAxtc

May contain spoilers so careful to those that haven't played yet.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

General_Norris wrote:I really thought the article was terrible...the reason this is being given attention is simply the lack of confidence gaming has on itself. Having someone from the "outer world" talk about gaming shouldn't be news, frankly.

I find the perspective by an "outsider" into games immensely interesting and useful...I appreciated that the article provided it. The author was very upfront about his interets in the assignment, his purpose while playing, and his (lack of) background in games previously. It read like a set of honest, considered thoughts about the medium that came from someone who has a very different life experiences with the visuals of violence.
Andavive
8-bit

Post by Andavive »

Imagine the photos he could have taken if it was Smash Bros.