The toxicity of online gaming.

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Re: The toxicity of online gaming.

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

lisalover1 wrote:The only online shooter that I can really say I play is TF2, where luckily, the community isn't by and large mean-spirited, but instead just silly and bizarre.

I've been playing TF2 a bit again over the last week and bizarre is an understatement. :lol:

Definitely not much in the way of mean spirit though. It's surprising to me considering the fact it's F2P. Every other F2P game I play seems to by large have the worst communities.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:The only online shooter that I can really say I play is TF2, where luckily, the community isn't by and large mean-spirited, but instead just silly and bizarre.

I've been playing TF2 a bit again over the last week and bizarre is an understatement. :lol:

Definitely not much in the way of mean spirit though. It's surprising to me considering the fact it's F2P. Every other F2P game I play seems to by large have the worst communities.

Bizarre indeed. I am a member of the Lunch Bunch, a group of Heavy Players that flood servers and eat sandwiches peacefully.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

fastbilly1 wrote:
cha cha wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:Man I DID read that as: "decking opponent" as in milling their library to 0 cards, preventing them for drawing for their next turn and effectively ending the game.

Then thought how scrubby a tournament would be for kicking someone who used a crappy strat to begin with!!

NOW I realize he meant "decking" as in punching someone! :lol: wow, MtG terminology got the best of me on that one! My bad... :oops:

Actually he was probably decking them then decked them. He was known to use strategies like that. Then again, I did have a deck of lighting bolts and mountains, so I am not much better...

Well a deck of lightning bolts beyond x4 copies of it, is simply illegal to begin with, lol. Casual decks that don't adhere to tournament or normal game rules are just whatever. Generally when people play absurd decks like "all lightning bolts", it is amongst friends or at least people who acknowledge that this is a 'friendly' or 'casual' match and normal rules are bent thrown out the window altogether, and you agree how the game is to be played for that match... and at that point, how could anyone get mad? (rhetorical lol, don't answer!) :lol:

In Alpha and Beta it was legal, I dont think it was outlawed until Unlimited. It was institued because of the nasty Plague rat deck. I won a legit tournament back in 1992 or 1993 with my lighting bolt deck before the local tournament scene outlawed it. Granted, I have not played Magic since 1996 so the game has changed a good bit.

Not to belabor the point, but I have been playing just as long and there was never a period in the game where more than 4 copies of a card (other than basic land or a card that specifically states it may have more than 4 in a deck within it's text) was legal. But in 1992, we all had wacky concepts of what was good and also very loose interpretations of rules, so I could imagine you getting away with that in a tournament back then... it was basically the wild west of gaming in those years, no infrastructure for CCGs tournies at all.

I know after playing Spellfire, I argued that a dumb game like Magic would never last... Boy, that may have been the wrongest I have ever been in my life. :?
Last edited by cha cha on Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

cha cha wrote:I know after playing Spellfire, I argued that a dumb game like Magic would never last... Boy, that may have been the wrongest I have ever been in my life. :?

You and me both. Granted Spellfire lives on:
http://www.spellfire.net/boosters/
Granted it is print to play, and there is no real tournament scene, but there are new cards for it, and the game still plays well.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

cha cha wrote:Not to belabor the point, but I have been playing just as long and there was never a period in the game where more than 4 copies of a card (other than basic land or a card that specifically states it may have more than 4 in a deck within it's text) was legal. But in 1992, we all had wacky concepts of what was good and also very loose interpretations of rules, so I could imagine you getting away with that in a tournament back then... it was basically the wild west of gaming in those years, no infrastructure for CCGs tournies at all.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... daily/jc20

The original deck construction rules were minimum of 40 cards and no other rules. It wasn't until the original DCI floor rules that we got the 60/4 of rule.

http://www.wizards.com/dci/downloads/fi ... rrules.txt
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
flex wood
Next-Gen

Post by flex wood »

:lol: this reminds me, my little brother had been playing the magic game on psn and I asked what button do you press to punch that nerd in the face and take his cards. Last time I was watching him play there was a naked guy. He was using the playstation eye camera to broadcast video. Good times.
MrNash
32-bit

Post by MrNash »

About the only time I played online seriously was when I was into WoW and that game was really toxic then. Right up until the end of Lich King vitriol was flying. Even if it wasn't directed at me, it made for an unpleasant environment and even found myself leaving raids because the BS would get on my nerves and I had better things to do than sit through that.

Nowadays, I'm very happy to spend most of my time just playing single-player games. The experience is just so much comfier. =)
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Saw this article today and thought it was pretty interesting.

Curious to know what everyone thinks about this?

Exposing Gaming's Worst Jerks

In all honesty, I don't think this will do much, since I have seen numerous people gain fame and popularity on Youtube for their gimmicks, causing people to act out even more when they see them online.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

MrNash wrote:About the only time I played online seriously was when I was into WoW and that game was really toxic then. Right up until the end of Lich King vitriol was flying. Even if it wasn't directed at me, it made for an unpleasant environment and even found myself leaving raids because the BS would get on my nerves and I had better things to do than sit through that.

Nowadays, I'm very happy to spend most of my time just playing single-player games. The experience is just so much comfier. =)

Maybe WoW was bad back then, but I gave it a try recently at the request of a friend and I didn't run into any mean-spiritedness or anything like that. Maybe it's mellowed out.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Retrogamer0001
Next-Gen

Post by Retrogamer0001 »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Saw this article today and thought it was pretty interesting.

Curious to know what everyone thinks about this?

Exposing Gaming's Worst Jerks

In all honesty, I don't think this will do much, since I have seen numerous people gain fame and popularity on Youtube for their gimmicks, causing people to act out even more when they see them online.

Interesting read, though the idiot in that sample video clip just sounds like a whiny p***y.

The game room - > http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=45478

"We're on an express elevator to hell - goin' down!"