PS2 Appreciation Thread

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:when the PS2 came out, I bought it because I'd be getting a new game console PLUS I'd have access to this new hotness known as "DVD."

Seriously, I feel old.

I was similar. Although I viewed it as replacing the DVD player I had already bought for way too much. I still remember that GLORY was the first DVD I bought.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This thread is adorable. Anyone claiming the PS2 is "retro" reminds me of my local pop radio station DJs - the guys who say shit like "we're gonna throw it back and play something old school now!" followed by a Kesha song from like 2012. Bros, do you even Atari?

That's pretty funny and accurate. Lol

So I know the debate is age related, but could it be completely defined by format such as cartridges and such are retro and disc based games not so much?
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

TEKTORO wrote:So I know the debate is age related, but could it be completely defined by format such as cartridges and such are retro and disc based games not so much?

By that logic the sega cd wouldn't be retro either. I think the ps2 is old enough to be retro.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

strangenova wrote:
TEKTORO wrote:So I know the debate is age related, but could it be completely defined by format such as cartridges and such are retro and disc based games not so much?

By that logic the sega cd wouldn't be retro either.

Exactly because it used FMV and till this day there still aren't better graphics, so technically that thing was sent from the future using reverse light speed. Plus the PS2 isn't worth anything so it can't be retro.

Sorry I'm just old, PS2 just doesn't seem retro to me at all.. Yet that's all. ;)
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Retro is a state of mind, man. You gotta look inside you and just be you. You dig?
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Stark wrote:Retro is a state of mind, man. You gotta look inside you and just be you. You dig?

Smoove talk, jive turkey I can dig it like widget.
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

GSZX1337 wrote:I don't really agree with this line of thinking because to me it's the games that define the age/how retro a system is, not the hardware. Sure, the controllers are wired (some of my modern controllers are wired ;)), and the resolution is lower, but the games are still pretty accessible to modern gamers. It's easier to transition from Destiny to TimeSplitters than it is to go from Halo to Doom, for example. Modern gaming feels more like an evolution than a revolution.

Yeah, but even Super Mario Bros is still accessible to modern gamers.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:This thread is adorable. Anyone claiming the PS2 is "retro" reminds me of my local pop radio station DJs - the guys who say shit like "we're gonna throw it back and play something old school now!" followed by a Kesha song from like 2012. Bros, do you even Atari?

The PS2 isn't as old as the Atari, but it's still old. You should see the bewildered reactions I get from some people when I talk about playing my PS2, Gamecube, or original Xbox in 2015. Perhaps it is because I'm only 24, but playing sixth gen consoles is considered a novelty among my peers. A 2012 Kesha song might not be 'old school' yet, but I'll be damned if Rollin' by Limp Bizkit isn't.
AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Retro or not the system is still a kick ass system. It's amazing how people who I know do say "wow you still have a ps2?" Then they show up the next day at work and just give you a white ps2 slim and like 30 games for free. Im happy I like the retro ps2
Nintendork666
Next-Gen

Post by Nintendork666 »

mas wrote:Retro or not the system is still a kick ass system. It's amazing how people who I know do say "wow you still have a ps2?" Then they show up the next day at work and just give you a white ps2 slim and like 30 games for free. Im happy I like the retro ps2

AMD Ryzen™ 9 7900X // MSI GAMING X TRIO GeForce RTX 3090 Image
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I feel the same way. No update on systems or games. No online games trying to challenge you or your games lagged because of no online or connection.
The ps2 to me is the perfect system. The slim is sleek, small, and just right in size.
The games for me is still very good. Syphon filter, metal gear solid, the arcade retro compliations, the ports from Atari to Dreamcast, the first party titles, and Jesus the psone library. Thousands of games to choose from. And best part you can go to any thrift, pawn, retro, even GameStop and there is ps2 games or psone to pick thru for like a couple bucks.