The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4748
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by RCBH928 Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:31 am

its interesting that this debate has been going on for 2 years...
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7668
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:34 am

alienjesus wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Well I can play Atari 2600 games on my 2015 smartphone, so what's your point there? My line of thinking is in keeping the platforms distinctive to their inherent selves. If you start throwing retro-compatibility into the equation it changes the discussion dramatically and dilutes the original point. The point being that the PS2 itself is an outdated system, and the games which were designed for it inherently equate to being outdated as well, at least technically speaking. Therefore the act of playing PS2 games no matter the conduit equates to an act of deliberate retro sensibility.

Granted. Let's strike that one from the debate. I was thinking of official compatibility, but perhaps that's still too contentious.


Yeah, this really didn't make much sense. You can play Atari and Intellivision on PS2, NES on Wii U and ZX Spectrum games on tablet and in browser. I wouldn't deny any of them are retro, so modern compatability is a bit of a moot point.

Note again I said official compatibility, as in I can pop in a PS1 disc into a PS2. So because 2600 games played in the 7800 (and many other reasons), I would not have considered playing the 2600 retro during the lifetime of the 7800. But it's a moot point now.
User avatar
Exhuminator
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 11573
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by Exhuminator Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:19 pm

If I play a 2001 PS2 game on a 2015 PS4, that doesn't make that 2001 PS2 game suddenly a 2015 PS2 or PS4 game. It's still a 2001 PS2 game.

Thus playing that 2001 PS2 game on a 2015 PS4 is willingly engaging in retro behavior. Because I'm playing a 2001 PS2 game in 2015 when I could be playing a 2015 PS4 game on a 2015 PS4 instead, with that being the modern behavior.

The PS2 is legitimately outdated and obsolete. It is officially old. With that information in tow, based on the dictionary definition of "retro", one has to logically conclude that playing a PS2 game in 2015 is indeed a "retro" endeavor.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8196
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by alienjesus Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:31 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Note again I said official compatibility, as in I can pop in a PS1 disc into a PS2. So because 2600 games played in the 7800 (and many other reasons), I would not have considered playing the 2600 retro during the lifetime of the 7800. But it's a moot point now.


But you can't play a PS2 disc on any current gen consoles either, unless I'm missing something?

But yeah, OK, I'm dragging this out needlessly now.
Image
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7668
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:37 pm

alienjesus wrote:
o.pwuaioc wrote:Note again I said official compatibility, as in I can pop in a PS1 disc into a PS2. So because 2600 games played in the 7800 (and many other reasons), I would not have considered playing the 2600 retro during the lifetime of the 7800. But it's a moot point now.


But you can't play a PS2 disc on any current gen consoles either, unless I'm missing something?

But yeah, OK, I'm dragging this out needlessly now.

Really? PS4 nixed PS2 support? I must have forgotten.

Another reason to be an old-school gamer. ;P

But yeah, seems we're done here. Whether or not you view playing the PS2 as retro will depend on your experiences growing up with it. For Bone and me, that's a no, for Exhuminator (and maybe alienjesus?) that's a yes. But at least we're finally asking the right question now.
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5046
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by samsonlonghair Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:29 pm

If I engage in a two-year-old argument about PS2 that occasionally gets side-tracked regarding the definition of retro, am I retro-arguing?
User avatar
darsparx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by darsparx Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:38 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:If I engage in a two-year-old argument about PS2 that occasionally gets side-tracked regarding the definition of retro, am I retro-arguing?


Touchè
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.
Image

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
henrycampbell
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by henrycampbell Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:33 am

Not for me. However, I guess in case you tend to imply this generation of gaming (the GC and original Xbox) as "retro", you would probably be the type, which could also include the PS2 to fall under this description.
Online Minecraft Game
User avatar
Nintendork666
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1518
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:52 am
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by Nintendork666 Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 am

This thread rules, time for another bump. The PS2 is over 15 years old by now. Claiming the PS2 as a modern console is akin to arguing that the NES wasn't retro in 2000.

Think about it guys: no hud menu, no HDMI, wired controllers, DVD drive, memory cards, no DLC, primitive online, etc. Anyone who doesn't consider the PS2 to be retro seems to be ignoring just how far console standards have come since its inception.
PC [Xeon 1231 + RTX 2070] O.G. Xbox PSP 3000Image
User avatar
jetto-setto
8-bit
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:38 pm

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

by jetto-setto Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:14 pm

The TS obviously is asking whether the PS2 could be considered a "classic" by now based on its age. "Retro" has never been the right word to refer to legitimately old games; it's what you call modern games that mimic an older style. You don't call a game you pre-ordered that's coming out in six months "futuristic".

With that said, I think the PS2 is old enough that it's a classic by now.
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests