PS2 Appreciation Thread

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

Post by Thierry Henry »

Maybe a further distinction needs to be made with regard to "old retro" and "newer retro" ? :P
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
mas
Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

Post by mas »

Maybe this thread should just change to the ps2 approbation thread. We have one for a lot of systems and this system alone in which I believe is the greatest system of all time should have a appreciation thread.
We all know this is now a retro system. We all love the ps2 and it changed gaming in a big way and follows as with the nes, Atari, ps1, the 16 bit console wars, and the dreamcast. Maybe I'll just ask the op if we can change it
Glitch42
8-bit

Re: PS2 Appreciation Thread

Post by Glitch42 »

Looks like an admin/mod finally changed the title of this thread so...

Straight up, what are YOUR personal favourite games for the PS2?
Try to avoid the typical responses... :)
It’s Not A Glitch. It’s A Feature. It’s Art. It’s Beautiful ~Sandy Mathes
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm not a big fan of the PS2 in general, so I don't have the great love for it that most people here probably do (though by no means do I hate the system), but my favorite game - at lease of those that I've played - is probably God Hand. If we're not avoiding the obvious ones, though, then Half-life.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm not a big fan of the PS2 in general, so I don't have the great love for it that most people here probably do (though by no means do I hate the system), but my favorite game - at lease of those that I've played - is probably God Hand. If we're not avoiding the obvious ones, though, then Half-life.

I'm actually very surprised to hear you say this. I'd have thought you'd be a huge fan of the Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia series, La Pucelle Tactics, and the other numerous JRPGs available for it.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The PS2 is my all time favorite console. So many amazing, fantastic games. And I've not even played half of what I own for it yet.

The top 5 PS2 games I've finished so far would be; SMT:Nocturne, Shadow of the Colossus, MGS3:Subsistence, Final Fantasy XII, and King's Field IV.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ack wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm not a big fan of the PS2 in general, so I don't have the great love for it that most people here probably do (though by no means do I hate the system), but my favorite game - at lease of those that I've played - is probably God Hand. If we're not avoiding the obvious ones, though, then Half-life.

I'm actually very surprised to hear you say this. I'd have thought you'd be a huge fan of the Atelier Iris and Mana Khemia series, La Pucelle Tactics, and the other numerous JRPGs available for it.

Because I'm not a fan of the console in general (I'm not talking game library; I think the video output is generally rubbish and never cared for the aesthetic of the console. I'm a shallow whore like that), I haven't gotten into collecting for it a lot, but there are a lot of games that I know are great and plan to get. Generally, though, my focus on Wii, Wii U, and Dreamcast collecting takes up the money that would otherwise go to PS2 titles.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

The PS2 library is just insane. With regard to games of that generation, I buy the Xbox version of all multi-platform titles. Nonetheless, my PS2 library is still larger than my Xbox library, and I still need nearly 50 games to complete my PS2 collection. (I have all the games I want for my Xbox.) There are just so many great exclusives for that system (like the absolutely spectacular King's Field IV).
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:The PS2 library is just insane. With regard to games of that generation, I buy the Xbox version of all multi-platform titles. Nonetheless, my PS2 library is still larger than my Xbox library, and I still need nearly 50 games to complete my PS2 collection. (I have all the games I want for my Xbox.) There are just so many great exclusives for that system (like the absolutely spectacular King's Field IV).

I prefer to get multiplats for Gamecube or Dreamcast if it's an option, but if it's not, then yeah, I prefer Xbox.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:There are just so many great exclusives for that system

Yes INDEED the PS2 has a high amount of exclusives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... only_games

(By no means a definitive list, but a nice start.)
prfsnl_gmr wrote:(like the absolutely spectacular King's Field IV)

Help me preach it to the masses, convert ye sinners!

PLAY KING'S FIELD.