Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

Post by Sano »

I wouldn't consider the PS2 to be retro. :mrgreen:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I think a system is "retro" once it is more than one generation behind. So once the PS4 is out, that makes the PS2 retro in my book.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Exhuminator wrote:I think a system is "retro" once it is more than one generation behind. So once the PS4 is out, that makes the PS2 retro in my book.

Again, what makes this "retro" and not just old?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Old and retro are interchangeable terms due to being subjective descriptions. I prefer the term "retro" towards gaming because of my warm feelings towards the medium. So what's retro to one person might be simply "old" to another, based purely on nostalgia alone. I don't think there can be an objective factual consensus reached about that. At least not logically.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Exhuminator wrote:Old and retro are interchangeable terms due to being subjective descriptions. I prefer the term "retro" towards gaming because of my warm feelings towards the medium. So what's retro to one person might be simply "old" to another, based purely on nostalgia alone. I don't think there can be an objective factual consensus reached about that. At least not logically.

I agree . Retro and Old is subjective and it depends who you are talking to. I think retro is old any ways, but its the "recent old" that we have experienced . Old can be way in the past. I am guessing there is a new generation coming up that would consider the Atari 2600 OLD and not retro , while others who were 10-15 when the Atari 2600 was released will still consider it retro.

In fact, I believe there is a generation that would consider the SNES as old. People born in '94 are 19 today and were only 5 when the Dreamcast was out. Some of them might know the SNES(as in experienced it), but I doubt most do.
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

The SNES is old as hell. :lol:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I work on the two generation definition too. The PS2 and Xbox are basically retro to me now. The Gamecube too, although I won't really count it retro until the next generation has started fully, so when the PS4 and Xbox One are out.

The Dreamcast is retro to me for sure, as it was basically dead by the time that console generation started. It's sort of an honourable mention in that console generation to me really, because although it was definitely part of that generation and designed to compete with those machines, in the end it only really competed with the PS1 and N64.

The Game Boy Advance is definitely retro for me now. It might be a little weird to consider a game like Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga which came out in 2003 to be retro, but a game like Super Monkey Ball which came out in 2001 to not be, but I'm happy with my system as is.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Exhuminator wrote:Old and retro are interchangeable terms due to being subjective descriptions.

That's not how the language works.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

Thinking about it, I feel like something is "retro" when it's sorta gone back around to becoming "trendy" again. faux 8 and 16-bit graphics for example have been "in" for a while now, so Atari through SNES era are definitely retro. To a lesser extent, so is pretty much anything "arcade." By this definition, I don't think you could consider the Ps2 era "retro" just yet.

Keep in mind, Ps2 consoles were still being sold brand new in stores just a couple of years ago. It hasn't really even been completely gone long enough for people to start missing it yet, much less for it to start being "cool" again.

Not that it really matters, I'm still gonna buy and enjoy Ps2 games as much as any other system.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Old and retro are interchangeable terms due to being subjective descriptions.

That's not how the language works.

Then explain why it does not work that way.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.