PS2 Appreciation Thread

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
oxymoron
Next-Gen

PS2 Appreciation Thread

Post by oxymoron »

It makes me cringe when i hear people say the PS2 is retro. While i was at school I overheard some kid say to another that he has a retro collection. I asked him for what console and he said PS2! :roll: I don't understand how it can be retro. They just stopped production of them in January of this year. I guess it depends of your definition of retro. What do you guys think?
Last edited by oxymoron on Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Re: Do you think the PS2 is retro?

Post by CavZee »

Labeling it "retro" might be a bit strong of a term, but it's right at the cusp IMO. I personally classify it together with the older consoles more than I would current gen stuff. I mean, it's about 13 years old and soon to be 2 generations behind. Think of it this way, when the Dreamcast was coming out, did you consider the NES retro?

If anything it's just a sign of how we're getting older. Regardless of what it gets called by someone you know, as long as he recognizes it's probably the best console ever then who cares? :D
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

I cant answer your question about the Dreamcast and NES cause i'm only 17. But definitely, this makes me feel old. :lol: I mean it was not too long ago that ps2 the big thing.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

I wouldn't say so, I think a new Fifa game is suppose to come out. But it depends who you ask different generations have different opinions.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

Post by Thierry Henry »

Not yet. Not for me.
But I guess if you're inclined to refer to that generation of gaming (incl the GC and original Xbox) as "retro", then you'd probably be the type that might also include the PS2 to fall under that description.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
loganm187
32-bit

Post by loganm187 »

It is kinda tough to say when something turns "retro" or whatever as saying was NES retro when the dreamcast was out? They are just games as far as I'm concerned, but I will say I have been buying up every PS2 game I ever wanted cheap as I see a ps2 boom like the snes nes one happening in about 5 years. The PS2 was the last of the "great" consoles in my opinion.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

CavZee wrote:Labeling it "retro" might be a bit strong of a term, but it's right at the cusp IMO. I personally classify it together with the older consoles more than I would current gen stuff. I mean, it's about 13 years old and soon to be 2 generations behind. Think of it this way, when the Dreamcast was coming out, did you consider the NES retro?

SNES, not NES. The SNES was two generations behind the Dreamcast, the NES three. Two more things: the last PS2 game is yet to be released, which makes it a sixth generation console officially overlapping with the eighth generation, while the last SNES game was a year before the sixth generation even started. Moreover, the jump from SNES to Dreamcast was more severe than the jump from Dreamcast to Wii-U, and even then we're arguing about a later gen tech (SNES) and early gen techs (Dreamcast and Wii-U) which make the difference that much more stark.
loganm187
32-bit

Post by loganm187 »

I think what he was trying to say was the NES was still very healthy with great games coming out just 7 years before the dreamcast was released.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

It really boils down to whoever you ask and what they know about the history of gaming.

This christmas, under the tree, Five or six year olds are going to get their first gaming console.

PS4/XBone/wiiU

This will be their first taste of gaming.

anything other than these three will be old to them.

They will eventually branch out into new consoles and try out that old dusty PS2/PS3 in the bottom of the closet and discover all sorts of new games.

The question is will the kids want to play these old things?

When you were a kid all you knew was Wii U, A little while ago you just discovered Sega. Imagine what you'll learn tomorrow!
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

flojocabron wrote:It really boils down to whoever you ask and what they know about the history of gaming.

This christmas, under the tree, Five or six year olds are going to get their first gaming console.

PS4/XBone/wiiU

This will be their first taste of gaming.

anything other than these three will be old to them.

They will eventually branch out into new consoles and try out that old dusty PS2/PS3 in the bottom of the closet and discover all sorts of new games.

The question is will the kids want to play these old things?

When you were a kid all you knew was Wii U, A little while ago you just discovered Sega. Imagine what you'll learn tomorrow!

In this context i'm speaking of teens to adults. I think someone should come out with a scale to judge retroness. Kind of like VGA but for retroness.