8-Bit Music Is A Thing

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
MilkJooce

8-Bit Music Is A Thing

Post by MilkJooce »

I find it amazing that retro video game music has evolved into its own genre that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with video games! There are certainly songs that emulate the feel of old video game music, but a bunch of chiptunes and 8-bit stuff is just accepted as another genre like dubstep or DnB.

Here are my own experimentations: http://milkjooce.bandcamp.com/
J T
Next-Gen

Re: 8-Bit Music Is A Thing

Post by J T »

It's nice to see a chiptune producer on the boards here. Thanks for sharing your tunes and Welcome!

Many of us here love this kind of music.

If you go back to people actually making music on the NES my favorite is Tim Follin:
Solstice Intro
Pictionary intro

...followed by Naoki Kodaka:
Journey To Silius stage 1
Batman (NES)

As for modern day chiptune artists, I like people like
Anamanaguchi
Fantomenk
Jake "Virt" Kaufman
Electric Children
4mat
She
Fucking Werewolf Asso
Fighter X
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

I am a huge fan of chiptune stuff, as long as it is good. The band starscream is one of my favorite bands in general as their use of the gameboy is masterful!

http://youtu.be/LbHG-Za3JR8

Check em out!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Chiptunes just rock my soul. It's been a popular search on youtube for me lately.
and of course, I've always been a fan of NES music.

Some of the Commodore 64 tunes are pretty awesome too (understatement); I just had to DL a bunch of sid files to sing to me. I feel like I missed out on part of the greatness of the 80's decade and am trying to catch up.

It's also neat when people do the retro treatment to modern tunes. Recently listened to Pirates of the Caribbean 8-bit version and it's just as epic to me as the movie score. If that were in an NES game back in the day it would've blown people away (or so my opinion tells me).

As for strictly old midi, I'm a bit picky. I usually prefer more richer or unique sounds (games like Doom and Master of Magic set the bar pretty high for me). But if it has enough depth and/or if the melody speaks to me, I'll enjoy most anything.

To [b]MilkJooce[/b
That all said, I find the tones of what a lot of your music uses hard to listen to. It's not the quality exactly, it's the pitch (or something) that seriously hurt my ears unless I turn the volume way down. A shame really, I think I find your stuff interesting otherwise.
It's pretty awesome that you compose stuff anyways. As of yet, I've never had the gumption to do anything like that myself.
...just another lost soul...
fvgazi
Next-Gen

Post by fvgazi »

Hearing artists push outdated hardware is awesome. I've been to a few chiptunes shows and I went to Blipfest in 2012. Chiptunes have been awesome since the demo scene and even before.
[ XBL: downedcity | PSN: biggry | Steam: Merchandise ]
Black Lodge Amplification: http://blacklodgeamps.tumblr.com/