What are the best video game related art books?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
8bit
Next-Gen

Re: What are the best video game related art books?

Post by 8bit »

The only art book I have from the 90's is The Art of Final Fantasy IX which is pretty neat since it was a nice return the classic medieval style realm for the series after XII and XIII.

Amazon Link
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

^ That's pretty cool. I know that art books have been a "thing" in Japan for much longer than they have been prominent in the US. RPG series especially are big.

One 90s book I'd like to track down would be this one: http://sega-memories.blogspot.com/2008/ ... eauty.html One thing that I've quickly learned is that prices online for most out of print artbooks - like that one - get a bit insane :lol:

I keep thinking I should put up pictures of my game related print library (art books, academic books, magazines, etc.) as I've picked up some cool stuff over the past few years. This is certainly a growing area of publication as most new big releases have artbooks these days...
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Speaking of Sega artbooks, SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Collected Works is due out next month. It was Kickstarted a while ago and is officially licensed by Sega.

http://www.readonlymemory.vg/sega-mega- ... cted-works
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Gunstar Green wrote:Speaking of Sega artbooks, SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Collected Works is due out next month. It was Kickstarted a while ago and is officially licensed by Sega.

very cool. any idea if it is a limited run kind of thing?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

dsheinem wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Speaking of Sega artbooks, SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Collected Works is due out next month. It was Kickstarted a while ago and is officially licensed by Sega.

very cool. any idea if it is a limited run kind of thing?

I'm not sure but the only place I've seen it available for order is directly from their website.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

8bit wrote:The only art book I have from the 90's is The Art of Final Fantasy IX which is pretty neat since it was a nice return the classic medieval style realm for the series after XII and XIII.

I have that one, it's a nice book, but technically it's not from the 90s. Game came out in 2000. Gamestop actually carried that artbook in with the strategy guides and such. If the game actually looked more like the concept art there, I may have actually played it. Don't care for the aesthetic they used for the game proper and CGI.

Also, I assume you mean VII and VIII, 'cause obviously it came before XII and XIII.
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

KICKSTARTER:

There's a really awesome artbook being made by MOOD, but it's about $15,000 short of reaching it's goal with 6 days left so I wanted to spread the word.

The book focuses on Norse mythology and contains artwork that "follows Vali, a warrior haunted by his past". This is personally right up my alley and I imagine some of you would be interested as well. The copy of the book is a bit expensive at $65, but it looks to be of very high quality.

Kickstarter

Some of the featured artwork:

B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

JohnnyBgood

Post by JohnnyBgood »

From Rapture to Columbia----> tribute to Bioshock saga
avrame
128-bit

Post by avrame »

If you aren't having a good time, why are you playing?