5 Things Video Games Do Better Than Any Other Forms of Art

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: 5 Things Video Games Do Better Than Any Other Forms of A

Post by dsheinem »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:This is an argument of semantics.

that's an unfair reduction of some interesting questions/discussion.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

ok I will rephrase my statement again to say that it is tools for direct physical interaction.

At times games can force you into reactions. Not all games mind you, as the majority of them are mindless entertainment and that is ok. There are people in the world that have no desire to understand a play, have no desires to look at works of art and grasp the social and political era within which it was painted, but give them a game and they see something that forces them into an experience, whether they know it or not.

Video games have the potential to approach people in a different way that is unique, much like a painting, a piece of music, performance art or any various mediums can approach a person artistically in a unique way.

That is what makes art so interesting, it has the ability to morph and change continuously to create different perspectives. What makes games so unique is that it can create a seemingly real environment to explore and interact with, a game like Proteus is a perfect example of this. It has a unique visual art style, morphing music and vague story that leaves you having to guess and interpret it as you will.

All they are is another medium that has the ability to give a new and interesting perspective. Do they do that always? More often than not, no they do not. can they? yes. That is all I am saying.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

dsheinem wrote:I don't know. Participating in the creation of any kind of art is extremely engaging and interactive (and often demands an equal or greater level of skill than playing most games).

Is the skill of the audience that important of a factor in determining what is art? Is challenging the audience any more or less important than reaching them or providing an immediate visceral reaction? Are there certain kinds of challenges that are more important? For example, how does the challenge of dexterity in Super Meat Boy compare to the challenge of symbolic interpretation in a William Faulkner novel?

I hope this isn't coming across as antagonistic, your comment just led me to a line of questioning that I haven't really considered before and I felt like writing it out.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Bad article.

Cracked seems hellbent on "proving" that video games are legitimate art forms. For whatever reason they have an ax to grind and keep churning out these same articles over and over. It's inane.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It has a lot to do with the fact the most articles are freelance.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

J T wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I don't know. Participating in the creation of any kind of art is extremely engaging and interactive (and often demands an equal or greater level of skill than playing most games).

Is the skill of the audience that important of a factor in determining what is art? Is challenging the audience any more or less important than reaching them or providing an immediate visceral reaction? Are there certain kinds of challenges that are more important? For example, how does the challenge of dexterity in Super Meat Boy compare to the challenge of symbolic interpretation in a William Faulkner novel?

My comment was geared towards rebutting the argument that interactivity is a "unique" or "more artistic" component of games compared to other art. I don't think the question posed in the OP is really "are games art?" as much as "what is unique about them as art?". Towards that end, I think that analysis of any discursive artifact (such as art) should always be considered from both the perspective of creation and of uptake. So, I think your comment speaks to the complexity of definition...one that I felt was obfuscated by the previous line of reasoning...

I hope this isn't coming across as antagonistic, your comment just led me to a line of questioning that I haven't really considered before and I felt like writing it out.

Antagonistic? Not at all...I am always glad when I know I write/say something to prompt a new line of inquiry, so thanks!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I can picture Dave grinning on the other side of the monitor since this thread has let him put on his professor hat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

MrPopo wrote:I can picture Dave grinning on the other side of the monitor since this thread has let him put on his professor hat.

You forgot the robe.
Oh no!