Hierarchy of video game haters

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Re: Hierarchy of video game haters

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote:
He is basing it off of the dreaded comments sections of articles. And for many he does hit the nail on the head with the ridiculous nature of those who comment and complain on those articles and forums.

As someone who reads the same stuff daily that he likely does (including comments), I just don't see him "hitting the nail on the head" at all as regards this arbitrary "hierarchy." He seems to just be restating a list of existing gamer tropes and organizing them with something looking like (but not really being) a carefully thought out hierarchy.

i don't know - I guess in my experience with gamers in real life/at cons and with gamers on forums/comment sections I just don't see this same kind of stratification.

I am not sure tropes is an accurate description yet. Very few of these stereotypes are 'established'

You also can't use real life experiences with gamers here. Many of these people seem to act very different in their online personas than in person.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

It's a silly article, but does point out at least some truths about the different types of gamers out there. All stereotypes come from at least some basis in reality, which is to say that some people out there fit the description

If I were to play along with this article, I guess I'd fall somewhere between The Art-Players and The Jazzmaster. I just don't find myself liking what most people like or following whatever is most trendy or popular in gaming, and I frequently disagree with majority opinion.

As stated about these two categories of gamers, I do think Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than Super Mario World, I probably would like Landstalker better than a Zelda game, I would rather play Braid than Gears of War, I do crack jokes about Uncharted, and I would be more interested any random indie game than I would be in a new Halo game.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Jmustang1968 wrote: Very few of these stereotypes are 'established'

Are you kidding? This article is almost entirely a pointless rebranding of existing gamer stereotypes, made to align to "hating" in ways that don't line up with what I find to be actual online experiences. There may be an original idea or two in there that I've missed, but I don't think so.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

I am suitably amused that the crack at Sonic already derailed this thread into a Sonic discussion. :lol:

(...and I couldn't get into the article. Hard to read due to the awkward written style and formatting. Also, poking fun of Sonic fans is like teasing the fat kid for eating a cupcake. Wayyyy too easy.)
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

dsheinem wrote:
Jmustang1968 wrote: Very few of these stereotypes are 'established'

Are you kidding? This article is almost entirely a pointless rebranding of existing gamer stereotypes, made to align to "hating" in ways that don't line up with what I find to be actual online experiences. There may be an original idea or two in there that I've missed, but I don't think so.

I will give you the pc gamer, mmo gamer, bro gamer, and nintendo fanboy, and gaming hipster snob. Then soke hardcore and casual. But besides hardcore vs casual, and pc gamer vs console, these stereotypes aren't discussed that often.

I think he drills down further and goes into more depth and detail. The article is mostly silly and for fun. What else is there really to grasp from it?
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

This article did nothing for me. Usually I can find the humor Kotaku is going for but not this time. And it was entirely too hard to read with its wacky formatting.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

AppleQueso wrote:Sonic Colors is really good too!

Sonic's basically out of the worst of it now, so hopefully things keep moving up.

Having Sonic rehabilitated is reminding me of just how over the hill Mario is. Super Mario 3D Land was such a bore to me while playing Sonic Generations was a total rush. Good to have Sonic back reminding us of how much more exciting Sega in its prime always was compared to Nintendo
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

dsheinem wrote:This article is almost entirely a pointless rebranding of existing gamerstereotypes, made to align to "hating" in ways that don't line up with what I find to be actual online experiences. There may be an original idea or two in there that I've missed, but I don't think so.

Yerp.

Even with half a face Ebert won't "shut up" and screw this guy, and his editors.

Singed- Hater
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

It's Kotaku. Why would you expect anything they pump out to be of quality?
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Why do the Nintendo fans have their own category, personally i think Sega fanboys are more hardcore, while Nintendo fans tend to not speak their mind as much as Sega fans :lol:

DEAL WITH IT!