Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whores

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
AppleQueso

Re: Artist can't get laid: Claims female cosplayers are whor

Post by AppleQueso »

MrPopo wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:
Menegrothx wrote:I dont see why so many people want so badly to be identified as nerds anyways. It's a derogatory word and very few people are "qualified" enough to be considered as nerds. Why do people want to label themselves?

So they can get laid by fake nerd girls in cosplay outfits?

Because a career in being a nerd can make 100k+/year?

I don't think pretending to be a nerd because it's apparently "cool" has very good career prospects on its own.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Menegrothx wrote:I dont see why so many people want so badly to be identified as nerds anyways. It's a derogatory word and very few people are "qualified" enough to be considered as nerds.

MrPopo wrote:Because a career in being a nerd can make 100k+/year?

Self-identifying yourself as a nerd wont magically give you any programming skills and no employer will give you a job just because you say that you're a nerd.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Labeling and stereotyping either yourself or someone else is plain dumb, as was the original article.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Im not a fan of Cos-play, also Con-Hot ftw, but too each there own i dont goto Cons so i dont have room to talk.
crux
128-bit

Post by crux »

I like to refer to the famous Venn diagram when it comes to appropriate labels for those of us with niche hobbies:

Geek is chic - nerd is something else.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly. Nobody has a monopoly over what other people enjoy and how they enjoy it. It's all about people with inflated self-importance trying to impose their views about their favorite things onto others.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

Gunstar Green wrote:Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly.

Nerds should be smart enough not to do this by definition. Paradoxically, anyone who talks about who a "real nerd" is, is not a real nerd.

And, in making that statement, I have now demonstrated that I am not a real nerd. :cry:
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
DinnerX
Next-Gen

Post by DinnerX »

MrPopo wrote:
Flake wrote:Even guy nerds cannot get along without judging / hating each other.

It's because nerd has become mainstream. So the real nerds need to find a way to exclude all the fake nerds. Eventually the real nerds will become mainstream and the real real nerds will need to exclude the real nerds. It's a vicious cycle that ends with the human race destroying itself.
I hear this being said in Wallace Shawn's voice.
Since this signature affects old posts, I'm leaving a message here in case anyone searches for my username. This account died in early 2013. I am no longer a fundamentalist.

Don't add to my problems by pretending my past views are still held in the present. I do not have any patience for that. Feel free to ask me what I think now.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Gunstar Green wrote:Every time there's a group of people that becomes significant enough to be defined as a subculture you'll see elitist attitudes develop regarding what you should or shouldn't be to label yourself part of the group.

And its damned silly. Nobody has a monopoly over what other people enjoy and how they enjoy it. It's all about people with inflated self-importance trying to impose their views about their favorite things onto others.

Good point. Similar to metal/rap/punk/dubstep fans and how some gain an elitist attitude because they listen to the "best" bands.

I'd try to contribute to the discussion, but I know of only one girl who does any gaming/comic reading and she keeps it totally quiet.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Hazerd wrote:Im not a fan of Cos-play, also Con-Hot ftw, but too each there own i dont goto Cons so i dont have room to talk.

me either.

female cosplay=hot
male cosplay=do i need to say?