The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by J T Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:28 am

Dsh: hallelujah, amen.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by J T Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:22 pm

I think the majority of the backlash against the push for feminism in gaming boils down to three major facets:
1) Good old fashioned sexism
2) Defensiveness for enjoyable games now being critiqued for their sexism
3) A lack of creative vision to imagine what feminist friendly games would look like

In the spirit of constructive critique, I want to address point three and ask you all "What would a high quality, feminist friendly game look like?"
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20796
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by Ack Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:23 pm

J T wrote:In the spirit of constructive critique, I want to address point three and ask you all "What would a high quality, feminist friendly game look like?"


Tetris
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by J T Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Ack wrote:
J T wrote:In the spirit of constructive critique, I want to address point three and ask you all "What would a high quality, feminist friendly game look like?"


Tetris


I disagree. You can only get the highest score with the most phallic block. :P
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18844
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:31 pm

Ack wrote:
J T wrote:In the spirit of constructive critique, I want to address point three and ask you all "What would a high quality, feminist friendly game look like?"


Tetris


Are you joking or just unaware that she's been over this...?
https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/496735850542022657
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20796
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by Ack Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:33 pm

So one version of the game contains imagery she finds offensive and therefore all versions are suspect?

You know what, fuck it. Feminist video games will look like E.T. That's it. That's all. that is the only thing acceptable, because it is equally offensive to everyone.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 18844
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Ack wrote:So one version of the game contains imagery she finds offensive and therefore all versions are suspect?


Don't think she's saying this at all... Looks like more of a smart ass remark to random Twitter instigators. :lol:
User avatar
J T
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12420
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:21 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by J T Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Ack wrote:You know what, fuck it. Feminist video games will look like E.T. That's it. That's all. that is the only thing acceptable, because it is equally offensive to everyone.


ET's neck extends when he is aroused. Ack, why are you obsessed with phallic representation in games. :P
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 20796
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by Ack Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:40 pm

J T wrote:
Ack wrote:You know what, fuck it. Feminist video games will look like E.T. That's it. That's all. that is the only thing acceptable, because it is equally offensive to everyone.


ET's neck extends when he is aroused. Ack, why are you obsessed with phallic representation in games. :P


And whale stomachs resemble vaginas. Why do you deny letting female sexuality be represented in video games, JT? :wink:
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
AppleQueso
 

Re: Kickstarter "Tropes vs Women in Videogames"

by AppleQueso Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:45 pm

oh my god please stop I think if I cringe any harder i'm going to burst a blood vessel
Return to Games As Culture

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest