When Does a Console Die?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: When Does a Console Die?

Post by RCBH928 »

casterofdreams wrote:
elmagicochrisg wrote:No Xbox One jokes?...

I don't have one but it got me thinking: is the oXbox really dead in the sense that you can't buy a new unit in stores anymore? Technically all units of the Xbox 360 can play a couple hundred oXbox games. Games aren't being made but if you still have a disc or your original unit finally dies out you can just go to any retail place and buy a 360 assuming your game is on the list: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbo ... inal-games

Just a random thought.

I see where you are coming from , I do not think being backward compatible is like having a living system. Many games are released in digital form like PSX on PSN but I won't call the PSX a living console because of this...
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

A console dies when the manufacturer stops "supporting" it. Anything else is a growth.

Vector graphics could totally be done again. On one hand, people think they've "moved on" past things like that, because at some point everything has to "die" and become "retro" to them, no matter the quality of the actual thing. On the other, there's generally a strange desire for this "retro" to be "revived" in some manner, though it really all comes down to the memories of that retro (which could easily be in another universe).

It's like some kind of planned obsolescence in our general sense of taste, with some unfinished rogue programming butting heads with it... terrifying stuff.
Ben
24-bit

Post by Ben »

If you ask me, the Dreamcast will outlive us all. :lol:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Ben wrote:If you ask me, the Dreamcast will outlive us all. :lol:

I look forward to playing a new release for the Dreamcast from my death-bed 40 to 60+ years from now.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I really would like to see a full Dreamcast game being released not just a simple shmups . Not sure if they need Dreamcast developer kit to do this though, and if any developer kits even exist now days.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

RCBH928 wrote:I really would like to see a full Dreamcast game being released not just a simple shmups .

um... what?

First off

Many indie releases have been shmups, yes. Though there's been quite a few that weren't:

Cool Herders - puzzle
Feet of Frenzy - DDR clone
Gunlord - run n gun
Inhabitants - puzzle
Irides - puzzle
Maquipai - mahjong
Rush Rush Rally Racing - racing
Wind & Water Puzzle Battles - puzzle

Also Pier Solar HD is coming next month which is an RPG

And as far as the indie shmups being "simple" and not "full games," Sturmwind looks like this for one...

...playing it through VGA rivals many 360 shmups via HDMI.

It also features the ability to save replays to an SD card or to upload your high scores to an online leaderboard, as well as achievements and unlockables. If anything, I'd say that recent Dreamcast indie releases are less simple than a lot of the official ports released on the system that were licensed by Sega.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I dunno...

they look like flash games kind of...
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
noiseredux