When Does a Console Die?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
SirPsycho
24-bit

When Does a Console Die?

Post by SirPsycho »

Well I haven't posted in here in awhile due to more hours at work and prepping for a move, its about time to change that.

Anyway I've been working on a blog post for the last month or so and didn't want it to be too long. The question I asked myself is when is a console considered dead?

Most of us will probably answer this as 'When the last unit actually dies' but I centered my argument around the homebrew community. So what are your thoughts and opinions?

You can read my blog post right here: http://whydidiplaythis.wordpress.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: When Does a Console Die?

Post by pierrot »

Never. They live on in the hearts of gamers everywhere.

Except maybe the game.com or Nokia N-gage. No one wants those things cluttering up their basements, much less their hearts.
Zodd
8-bit

Post by Zodd »

In my opinion, a console die when the graphical design or game design of the console is no longer supported.

The vectrex is the only gaming console, in my opinion, that has truly died because vector graphics is no longer utilized as a graphical output for video games.
SirPsycho
24-bit

Post by SirPsycho »

Zodd wrote:In my opinion, a console die when the graphical design or game design of the console is no longer supported.

The vectrex is the only gaming console, in my opinion, that has truly died because vector graphics is no longer utilized as a graphical output for video games.

That's a unique one. I haven't that one before and its quite interesting.
brandman
32-bit

Post by brandman »

Zodd wrote:In my opinion, a console die when the graphical design or game design of the console is no longer supported.

Wait, aren't vector graphics just 3D graphics? I remember Vector Man on the Genesis/Mega Drive got his name due to the dev team doing the graphics the way Rare did DKC.

Anyways, this is when a console dies:

Something touched me deep inside
the day
the Game Boy
died

WAIT nevermind. It's okay guys, it can still play Tetris!
Image Image Image VVV
3DS Friend Code: 4382 - 2058 - 7982
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Vector Man actually had nothing vector-based in it. It was just a cool name.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Zodd
8-bit

Post by Zodd »

brandman wrote:Wait, aren't vector graphics just 3D graphics? I remember Vector Man on the Genesis/Mega Drive got his name due to the dev team doing the graphics the way Rare did DKC.

Vector graphics are no longer supported as a standard visual output
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

Your thread title got my MSpaint skills going :roll:

here, have a pic!

2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

Usually the ones with moving parts die the fastest. Most cartridge base console overall out live their cd base counterparts.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Old consoles never die, they just fade away.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.