The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
sabrage
Next-Gen

Re: Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

by sabrage Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:15 pm

pakopako wrote:Can't we be both?

Has anyone answered otherwise? I'm surprised this topic lasted 10 pages.
J_Wil
32-bit

by J_Wil Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:55 am

sabrage wrote:That "How many games do you own" thread got me thinking. Personally, I buy games because I want to play them, and those are the only games I keep. If I happen to come across something I don't want, I immediately purge it from my collection and I have no desire to get all Pokemon with any systems the way some people do around here. But, as my income has increased over the years, I can now safely say that I have more games than I can possibly play in even the next several years.... And yet I'm still buying them.

I'm somewhere in the middle. It fluctuates...I started, like most, buying games solely with the intent of playing them. In my late teens, as I joined the work force, I began to buy games at a higher rate while the time to play them quickly began to diminish. I have gone through phases where I was in total collector mode, buying up stuff I knew I probably wouldn’t play simply because I thought it was cool to have. These days I am back to buying games with the intention of playing them but just don’t get around to it. I still buy stuff to enhance my collection from time to time because I find it enjoyable to search for rare items and get a good deal on them or to satisfy my childhood wish list just because. My career affords me very little leisure time so I rarely get to sit down and enjoy a game like I used to but I still love the idea and the thrill of collecting and spend more time on that than I actually do playing. It’s kinda silly I guess, spending money on stuff that just sits there, but I guess it’s comparable to collecting sport cards or art work. To each his own, right? My daughter gets a kick out of my retro stuff so I guess there is some value in it.
"Oh great, another box of useless sh*t."

Main Collection: http://connect.collectorz.com/users/ynjmwil/games?viewCollection=in-collection - Not looking to move anything on this list but would entertain offers.
darkcat
16-bit

by darkcat Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:21 pm

im a collector, I mean i have kiosks that i never play i have store displays i dont really even look at and i more so like the hunt of finding the games, plus i have more games then id even be able to play
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm

I'm a collector and a gamer. 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

by sevin0seven Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Dakinggamer87 wrote:I'm a collector and a gamer. 8)

..and I'm a gamer and a collector. Image
Visit my store: sevin0seven Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Equally both..

Gamer because I truely enjoy them and collector because I love cover art and manuals. Been doing both for probably 25 years now
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

by SamuraiMegas Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:04 pm

I'm both but I lean more towards gamer, my small disposable income makes me play the hell our of most of my games
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
This account isn't used much anymore. You can find me on reddit and steam @ SamuraiMegas as well.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:36 am

SamuraiMegas wrote:I'm both but I lean more towards gamer, my small disposable income makes me play the hell our of most of my games

Enjoy this time while you have it. Having any kind of real money destroyed my playing time. I used to restart games as soon as I beat them, and I'd play through the Halo and MGS series once per year. And now I have a hard time beating anything even once.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
TheBrick
24-bit

by TheBrick Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:20 pm

Both, actually. I play every game I get at least once (even if not to the end), but at the same time, I have loads of fun going out and finding games; at flea markets, at yard sales, at retro game stores, and whatever. Where do you think I found Skies of Arcadia Legends for $5? The point is, you never know what you'll find, so why not look?
Consoles: N64, Wii, Dreamcast, PS2, SNES, Saturn, Genesis, PS3, NES, Wii U, 2600, PS4
Handhelds: Game Boy Advance, 3DS, PSP, New 3DS
brainerdrainer
32-bit

by brainerdrainer Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Both! I'm more of a gamer. But I enjoy collecting as well
Return to Games As Culture