Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
someone3760
24-bit

Re: Are you a COLLECTOR, or are you a GAMER?

Post by someone3760 »

Both.
Gaming trumps collecting, though. If both can be done at the same time, then it's even better. I wanted to play and collect Pikmin 2 so much I payed 45 for a CIB copy (I know that might be a bit much, but I did not want to play the Wii version.).
kelsoanim
32-bit

Post by kelsoanim »

I've always loved games with a passion. My favorite thing when I was young was to get the new Nintendo Power, EGM, and Diehard GameFan and pour through them marking all the games that I wanted. I loved the big E3 blowout issues, I would get so excited seeing all the amazing new games coming out that year.

Several years ago when I started to get serious about collecting I felt like I was re-experiencing that thrill of discovery, finding hidden jems and all of the great games that passed me by when I was growing up. It's like going back in a time machine and giving the you as a kid all the games he could want. It's obvious why retro gaming has exploded so much in the past 5 years. It's like being a kid again.

But I realized something lately, that I spend way more time, energy and excitement on collecting and researching games than I do actually playing them. And by now I have so many great games, but I've beaten about 20% of my them, maybe less. But games are meant to be played. I've been spending so much time thinking about games that I haven't had enough time to enjoy them. So I think I'm going to try and refocus, to become a gamer again. After playing through a few games recently I've come to see that beating games is far more satisfying in the long run than the brief thrill of a new pickup. When you collect games you are happy when you get them and a bit afterwards, but they soon join the others on the shelf and you forget about them. The excitement of a new game is a brief flash, but they are meant to be played and enjoyed.

So I'm making a commitment this year to become more of a gamer instead of a game fan/collector for a while. After beating Castlevania 1 and 4 recently, I'm getting excited about just playing games again.
A-B-P. A-always, B-be, P-platforming. Always be platforming! Always be platforming!!
My Game Room - My Game Collection
MrEco
Next-Gen

Post by MrEco »

J T wrote:I collect, but I play the collection. I don't own anything just to own it. I generally don't buy a game unless I think I will play it (though, I have a fair amount of games I have yet to even boot up). I like to have access to a lot of games so that I can play whatever I'm in the mood for, and so I can have a wide range of gaming experiences.

That sums it up for me as well.

Though I suppose the "wide range of gaming experiences" part is a bit of an exaggeration. Generally my gaming experiences are: RPG, RPG, RPG, RPG, FPS, RPG, RPG, action game, RPG, RPG, RPG, point-and-click adventure game, RPG, RPG, RPG, RTS, RPG, RTS, RPG, RPG, RPG, RPG.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores
dmike
16-bit

Post by dmike »

Well, seems like I missed the party a bit here :)
A good topic to be sure...

I am both, personally. But I do have one rule; if I can't play it, I don't want it (i.e. some game that requires a controller I'll never own or requires my reading of Japanese to be able to understand it).

There is a buddy of mine that is a collector only. Oh he loves to talk games, who made them, how they feature, "this or that". He's extremely knowledgeable. Put a controller in his hand and he's the most miserable person to be around. He absolutely hates playing. Kinda funny really.
Sasha_Blue
64-bit

Post by Sasha_Blue »

I'm more of a collector, I only play games when I have time off or spare time.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Hmmmm...I don't know...Let's look at my stats for 2013...

Games Acquired = 453

Games Beaten = 16

I am sure I will catch up at some point...
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

dmike wrote:There is a buddy of mine that is a collector only. Oh he loves to talk games, who made them, how they feature, "this or that". He's extremely knowledgeable. Put a controller in his hand and he's the most miserable person to be around. He absolutely hates playing. Kinda funny really.

That's kinda sad tbh :(

Unfortunately, as time goes on and I get older, priorities are reversed as I now def lean more towards the category of a Collector than a Gamer. Even so, I take great pride in not only my knowledge, but also substantial skill in a particular gaming field (Fighter's, BeatemUps, old school patformers etc) which I had attained for myself when I was a more devoted gamer.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Both, I use to be a huge game pirate.. but ive settled down and started purchasing games. Not because I believe the developers and publishers deserve their $30000000 paychecks; but because I like games that works correctly (or for the most part...). I would consider myself both.

Though I cheated and got a RetroDuo with an EverDrive flashcart. So my SNES collection is limitless. I have a PS3 and a PS2 as well. Also have a Wii-U (Actually belongs to my nephew.).

I play: RPG, JRPG, FPS, Hack & Slash, Platformers, MMORPGS, and general mayhem and destruction sorts of games (RTS.. love me a nuclear bomb drop. But the GDI Ion Canon in C&C3 is epic too.

Anyway, as i said, my answer is both. :mrgreen:
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Post by oxymoron »

I'm fairly new to retro gaming. Initially, i wanted to collect every single NES game but i soon realized i'd be spending a lot of money and effort buying games that are, quite frankly, shit. So for now i'm sticking to only buying what i play. That doesn't mean that if i find Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes for $2, i'll pass it by.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

oxymoron wrote:I'm fairly new to retro gaming. Initially, i wanted to collect every single NES game but i soon realized i'd be spending a lot of money and effort buying games that are, quite frankly, shit. So for now i'm sticking to only buying what i play. That doesn't mean that if i find Attack Of The Killer Tomatoes for $2, i'll pass it by.

That is how you build a collection. Take deals when you see them! If you enjoy getting out and finding games as much as you do playing them, you will have a sizable collection in no time.