What makes you a classic gamer?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
J T
Next-Gen

Re: What makes you a classic gamer?

Post by J T »

saturnfan wrote:I thought about this a little bit, and I was wondering, what makes you a classic gamer? Do you feel older games are just better than what is currently available? It is nostalgia?

I see myself as sort of a gaming historian. I play for breadth more than depth. I don't finish games very often, but I know at least something about many of the games out there, old and new. I play a little of this, a little of that, and a lot of everything.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

J T wrote:
saturnfan wrote:I thought about this a little bit, and I was wondering, what makes you a classic gamer? Do you feel older games are just better than what is currently available? It is nostalgia?

I see myself as sort of a gaming historian. I play for breadth more than depth. I don't finish games very often, but I know at least something about many of the games out there, old and new. I play a little of this, a little of that, and a lot of everything.

This. JT summed up pretty much what I was going to say. Nostalgia doesn't apply to me since I wasn't around when those consoles launched but enjoyed the games for what they are and compare them only towards games from it's time frame. I like to see the whole spectrum so I play various games but rarely beat a game :lol:
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
final fight cd
Next-Gen

Post by final fight cd »

first you must define classic gamer.

classic gamer - noun - somebody who plays classic games.

i play classic games.

therefore, i am a classic gamer.
if you took a shit, please put it back
blackmagepwns
32-bit

Post by blackmagepwns »

I myself grew up with the SNES, later when my parents divorced I had a PSX at my mom's, and a N64 at my dad's, and my stepmom's brother had a Saturn (which I didn't get to play much but.. eh) and it just went from there.

I have owned much more than I have today (Due to my mom rummaging through my old stuff and selling it for next to nothing... thanks mom.) But I still like to think that my collection is pretty impressive.

Sometimes simpler is better, and also you can't rely on any of the new systems today. My friends have all had to send in their 360's multiple times (one of my friends even had to 5 separate times.) and I fear any day my PS3 will just die. However, when that day comes I will have a hell of a collection to tide me over. 8)

Also, I get some interesting looks when I'm playing some River City in my dorm and some guys walk by and go "WOW you have a NES!?!?" Feels good.
Lord Huggington
8-bit

Post by Lord Huggington »

I like the simplicity of a lot of classic games. Reasonably basic controls, usually don't need much reason for what your doing ("They're bad, go get 'em!"), and I can have a lot of fun without committing to a long, time consuming experience. It's also probably why I like a lot of indie games too. Also, a lot of older games have hi-scores in them, which isn't as prevalent as I would like in current games, and I'm a sucker for hi-scores. :p
RareCollector5
8-bit

Post by RareCollector5 »

I completely agree with you saturnfan. When I was a kid I only had about 5 games for NES one of which had 4 games in it. Then 4 games for Genesis, 1 of which I never played (NFL 93 I think - I don't like sports games) and then the 3 boxed in games for SegaCD.

When it comes to new games, I think its just that they don't have the same feel as old games. I like them and my main interest is in unique games like Savage: XR for PC but you just don't get the same feel as popping in Super Mario Bro 3 or Sonic 2 and just start playing. You don't even really have to think, unlike some new games and some levels in new games are just so long. I can beat 5 or 6 levels in an old game in like 15min and collect pretty much collect every item in a level and you just can't do that with new games unless they're mini games. I modded Halo 1 for just that reason (No more long walks or driving an unstable worthog for me). :D
Jbroderway
16-bit

Post by Jbroderway »

I believe it comes down to definitions. If you play more newer games than older ones, you are a retro gamer. If the reverse is true, then you are a classic gamer. The term classic implies a definite slant towards the older media on the older medium. In my mind, retro gaming is breaking from sonic colors to play sonic 2 on the virtual console. Classic is breaking from playing sonic 2 on a gen 1 sega console to play sonic colors.

Classic also implies that the player was alive to play the "classic" games when they were new. Theoretically I cannot wax nostalgiac about the atari. I wasn't alive to experience it new. Anything pre-1986 would have to be retro for me.
I just want to separate the cereal from the mouse mask.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

final fight cd wrote:first you must define classic gamer.

classic gamer - noun - somebody who plays classic games.

i play classic games.

therefore, i am a classic gamer.

I am a classic gamer because I am a classic.

I am a classic and I play games.

Therefore, I am a classic gamer.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I honestly can't peg why it is I prefer older games. I think it's a combination of games looking 'too real', gameplay being too complex, and nostalgia.

I like my games gaudy and colorful. I like my gameplay arcadey and action packed. I enjoy the things that I grew up with - Megaman and Samus Aran are like old friends. I don't know who the Halo dude or that God of War fellow are.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Flake wrote:I don't know who the Halo dude or that God of War fellow are.

Apparently the guy who voices the Halo dude is my favorite DJ of my favorite radio station.

Doesn't make me hate Halo any less though. :lol:
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)