Video-Gaming Conventions?

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Video-Gaming Conventions?

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

So I'm about a week hot off of the New York ComicCon, and I had a killer time!

I got to meet some awesome people, some very talented artists and writers, and scored some awesome comics in the process. But while I am a comic nerd to a certain extent, at heart I'm a much bigger gaming geek! And there was plenty in NY to gawk and paw at..
I got to see Captain America and Mega Man Universe in action for the first time, I played the awesomeness that will be Marvel VS Capcom 3 and Donkey Kong Country Returns, and even though I've never really cared much for the PC gaming scene - I found myself lost in the Intel section for hours, happily watching the nation's best PC gamers go for glory in Starcraft II and WoW, completely ignorant to how these games are even played to begin with..

Where are the Video Game Conventions? What are the big names to look for?
I know PAX and SGC, but trying to find anything else yields only info on tabletop RPGs or Magic:the Gathering Cons - not exactly the gaming conventions I'm interested in looking forward to months ahead of time.

What am I missing? And is there anything out there focused around classic gaming? There has to be, right??
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Re: Video-Gaming Conventions?

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

A huge one that happens during the summer is the Big Bang at the International Video Game Hall of Fame in Ottumwa, Iowa. I'm going next year, and was actually going to organize some members here to meet out there. :P

Basically they induct a bunch of people important to the video game industry to the hall of fame, and they have tournaments and stuff for consoles (mostly newer ones) and I'm on their forum lobbying for handheld tournaments. Also, they bring in a whole bunch of arcade machines, so you'll see a bunch of Donkey Kongs, Centipedes, Pac-Mans, and the like there. I missed it by a week last year (stopped by on my way back from visiting my grandparents) and it seems really neat.

If you want to check it out, the website is http://www.ivghof.com/ .

P.S. You forgot E3. :P
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
alexis524
128-bit

Post by alexis524 »

There also another gaming convention every September in Reading, Pa called Too Many Games. I know a few members here have gone.
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:A huge one that happens during the summer is the Big Bang at the International Video Game Hall of Fame in Ottumwa, Iowa. I'm going next year, and was actually going to organize some members here to meet out there. :P

Nice. I live in Omaha, so that's a relatively easy drive for me. Sounds like a good time, keep me posted.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
Bodmin
32-bit

Post by Bodmin »

It's only a three hour drive from where I'm at so Ill make it this year.