Game Magazines and Books - Post yours

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
the7k
Next-Gen

Re: Game magazines, what is your favorite?

Post by the7k »

ZeroAX wrote:
I believe the words game and journalist just don't mix well.

Imo 99% of professional gaming reviewers are idiot fanboys, who just don't know the first thing about reviewing. They wanted to get a job about video games, and just found the easiest one out there.

That is why gaming blogs are the best imo. Even if someone is a fanboy, he will most likely be more objective than professional reviewers, who intentionally start flame wars to get more hits.

Just look at Eurogamer. Their Mario Galaxy review had so many page hits, that when newer reviews pushed it down the update "list" they put it back on top to get more hits from fanboys arguing. Yes I know business and all, but you can get hits just as well with proper objective journalism.

The real problem with gaming journalism is that we rarely celebrate the good journalists. Honestly, Dan "Shoe" Hsu is the only one I can think of immediately.

All people really want is some arbitrary number attached to a game and a bunch of screenshots - and it's a lot more profitable to have writers who are easily swayed by wine and women who will hand top scores out for peanuts than have people around who ask the tough questions.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

the7k wrote:The real problem with gaming journalism is that we rarely celebrate the good journalists. Honestly, Dan "Shoe" Hsu is the only one I can think of immediately.

All people really want is some arbitrary number attached to a game and a bunch of screenshots - and it's a lot more profitable to have writers who are easily swayed by wine and women who will hand top scores out for peanuts than have people around who ask the tough questions.

you nailed the problem there.

Game reviewers are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too generous with their review scores. FFS the 0-10 scale is actualy 6-10.

I remember me and my ex-girlfriend would check metacritic for review scores for movies and games, and she'd often ask me why games get so high marks, compared to movies, where only the classics got 90+, and plenty of good movies could score 60-70 and still be considered fun.

Also they refuse to see a game for its merits if they aren't used to it. See how they complain that Scott Pilgrim doesn't have online play, even though these games are made to be played in the same couch. See how most of them still consider Wii Sports a bad game, even though it's excellent and really fun in most people's opinion (then again they might be doing the Wii bashing to suck up to the hardcore gamers which are 99% of their reader base). See how console gamer reviewers don't know the first freaking thing about PC gaming, and other than hyped like shit games (Starcraft 2 ect.) they can't spot what will make a good game.

My favourite (aka infuriated me) about their amateurism when it comes to PC gaming, were 2 posts by kotaku. One was about the TF2 update, and the writer said "if you still care for a 2.5 years old FPS game"

WHAT?
are you freaking kidding me? Have you been brainwashed by Activision so much, that you don't believe people will want to play the games they like for more than a year??? FFS people STILL PLAY Quake 3, Unreal Tournament 2004 and the original Counter Strike. Oh but there is a newer UT I should give up on the best entry in the series.

Also in another post they made fun of tycoon games as being dorky boring and lame...... um dude.... non-gamers LOVE tycoon games. They really think it's fun to be making your own train network, to run a corporation of your own, to make your own theme park. And in general this genre is loved by the PC crowed, and every single successful game has tons of mods for it.

This is like PC gamers saying JRPGs suck because you can't make your own characters.

Holly shit that is a huge post about complaining :P. Anyway I don't like most professional reviewers so I just read gamers' blogs.
Last edited by ZeroAX on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
jfrost
Next-Gen

Post by jfrost »

Game journalists can't write. Really, their writing is atrocious.

I think I only enjoy the writing from 1UP (Jeremy Parish comes to mind). They seem to employ "thought" when writing, it's astounding.
Lord_Santa
128-bit

Post by Lord_Santa »

C-64 will never die
- only the players
wip3outguy7
Next-Gen

Post by wip3outguy7 »

Diehard GameFan remains my favorite video game publication of all time:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45478630@N07/sets/

Um, the old one. Not the new piece of garbage.
NSBAceAttorney
24-bit

Post by NSBAceAttorney »

jfrost wrote:Game journalists can't write. Really, their writing is atrocious.

I think I only enjoy the writing from 1UP (Jeremy Parish comes to mind). They seem to employ "thought" when writing, it's astounding.

^I second the entirety of his post!^
GigaPepsiMan
64-bit

Post by GigaPepsiMan »

My favourite current magazine is Retro Gamer UK.
My favourite magazine that is no longer going is Nintendo Official Magazine UK (Was cancelled and rebooted s Official Nintendo Magazine in 2006 and has gotten much muc worse since).

I don't do games journalists anymore though to be fair the numbers really help sometimes as it gives me a brief idea if a game is work checking out, in my eyes anything above 50 is worth checking out if just briefly so I end up better off because of it.
I only listen to reviews for really bad games because when a game is bad and I mean awful you can't lie about it.

Infact read the comments to this Other: M review, that game got 91 and people were said that 91 was too low to warrent a buy.
Review
Comments
AznKhmerBoi
Next-Gen

Post by AznKhmerBoi »

i used to get
-playstation mag
-nintendo power
-egm
-gamepro

my favorite is gamepro... it was all around magazine that covered everything.
PSN- jacktsang05
WiiU- jacktsang05

Rurouni_Fencer
Next-Gen

Post by Rurouni_Fencer »

(Just found this thread today. Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one with this already here!)

I grew up in the 90's rabidly reading EGM and Nintendo Power like a fiend..
Last weekend, my wonderful girlfriend got me a 2 year subscription to the newly revived EGM and I've got to say, I'm impressed. It's seems like a nostalgic return to form somehow.

Currently, my favorites are UK mags GamesTM and Retro Gamer.. I love how Retro Gamer will take these wonderful games from my childhood and early adolescence and break them down piece by piece to truly appreciate the little things about them..
I also occasionally pick up GameFan, (I never read the original publication as a teen,) and I like how it's layout reminds me of early Game Informer and EGM's..

Almost picked up EDGE today at the local B&N, but the issue didn't strike me as all that interesting.. I know ZeroAX likes it, but can anybody else recommend it?
B/S/T Thread *Updated 7/30/11*
Rurouni_Fencer »» 39 (as of 6/27/2018)
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

Rurouni_Fencer wrote:
Almost picked up EDGE today at the local B&N, but the issue didn't strike me as all that interesting.. I know ZeroAX likes it, but can anybody else recommend it?

they have a lot of articles from earlier issues on their site

http://www.next-gen.biz/features

read a few and see if you like it.

Here are 2 of my favorite articles

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/the-making-of-playstation

http://www.next-gen.biz/features/the-making-of-oddworld
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.