Gaming New Year's Resolutions 2024

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Gaming New Year's Resolutions 2024

Post by Raging Justice »

The New Year's Resolutions thread seems to have gotten a bit de-railed and wasn't really focused on gaming anyway. So I made an alternative. What are you going to play or collect in 2024? Do you have some big goals like finally finishing that one game, getting a platinum trophy on PS4/5, finishing your back log, etc, etc.

Me, I'll be continuing my physical Switch collecting which I started doing in recent weeks. I've been pleased to discover a few Switch games already in my possession that I forgot about.

While I'm very focused on the Switch collecting, I may supplement it with a few physical 3DS titles also as it is the Switch's predecessor and I imagine some of its games may go up in value with the eshop closure. I'm kind of big into Nintendo at the moment and I kind of just love handheld gaming in general right now. In fact, when I'm satisfied with my Switch/3ds collecting, I may jump back into PSP collecting.

Get a copy of Batman Arkham City Armored Edition. So there was a lot of disappointment about the Arkham Trilogy for the Switch only having Asylum on the cartridge. This did remind me though that there IS a physical version of Arkham City available on a Nintendo console and I believe it has some perks over the original Playstation/Xbox/PC versions as well. Plus, you can play it on the Wii-U tablet for that proper handheld experience people love about the Switch.

Grab a few PSVR physical titles. VR is my favorite thing about the PS4 and although VR on the PS 5 has been a disappointment so far, it's maybe the only thing about the PS 5's future that I care about as everything about the new gen consoles just feels like more of the same. Every PSVR game I have was a digital purchase so I would like to have physical copies of some of my favorite ones like Astro Bot Rescue Mission. That game is an all time classic and one of the greatest games ever made. I will still remember it 30 years from now.

I'm going to try and get all of the Final Fantasy games physically released on the Switch. I need the Pixel Remasters, Crisis Core, World of Final Fantasy, and that super deformed, mobile inspired version of FF XV. There maybe some others I'm forgetting too like those Rhythm based ones

I think I'm gonna try getting all of Drinkbox Studios' games as well. I think their very first game is the only one not available on the Switch

There's a lot of interesting third party handheld gaming devices out there. I might try and get a hold of some of the more affordable ones. There's a lot of interesting competition in the handheld space. I even heard of one system that is a portable Sega Saturn with a nice six button interface and fighting game friendly d-pad. I'm not a PC gamer, so I probably don't need a Steam Deck, although it could be fun to have for emulation purposes, as i think it can run stuff like PS2/Gamecube games as well as run android software (and android emulators).

Anyway, that's kind of where my head is at going into 2024. There are new Switch games coming out this year I'm interested in and we'll see what Nintendo's future plans are.

My gaming will be Switch focused this year, but a few things might still grab me on other consoles. it will be interesting to see if we get any neat remakes or remasters on other consoles. Is that new Lollipop Chainsaw ever coming out? Also, are any of these recently announced Sega games coming out in 2024? I'm guessing probably not. Oh, and I might try that Robocop game everybody seems to love.

I'll be collecting other stuff in 2024 as well like figures, movies, etc. I love collecting as mentioned in reprise's collecting addiction thread.
Last edited by Raging Justice on Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Re: Gaming New Year's Resolutions 2024

Post by marurun »

I would personally like to beat at least 3 games this year. Last year Tears of the Kingdom derailed forward progress for most of the year because I was so engrossed in it. It may even take me some time before I'm ready to put my review in the Games Beaten 2023 thread. But I don't anticipate taking on any games this year that will be quite that long-term open-ended. I don't think the Switch has many of those in it. Zelda really is in a unique space on the Switch.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

If you want a handheld gaming PC, Ayaneo and Ayn have a few choice options on the market, but I only have experience with the Loki Zero. While not as powerful as the Loki Max, it can be a real beast when it comes to retro games and indies. But once you get into more intensive games, you'll either have to knock down the game's settings and possibly fool around with the Loki Control Center to get 25-35fps at best (Far Cry 3, e.g.) or hope you have the means of playing it via cloud gaming (Xbox Game Pass, e.g.) or streaming from a dedicated gaming PC. And if you don't want Windows it can run ChimeraOS if you still want PC gaming or if you just want to use it strictly as a retro emulation handheld, I'd recommend JELOS.

I personally use it primarily as a Windows PC but I can dual-boot into JELOS, the latter running off of a 1tb microSD card. On the JELOS end, it does a WAY better job of emulating more powerful consoles like the PS2, GameCube and PSP (I can even get 60fps while upscaling God of War: Chains of Olympus, which is notoriously difficult to pull off). I don't have much experience with Wii games but I'd imagine they'd be hit or miss at best. And don't bother with trying to emulate the PS3 or the original Xbox.

Keep in mind that there are way more handheld gaming PCs on the market outside of Ayaneo and Ayn, who both also have Android-based handhelds (Ayn's Odin line is Android iirc).

Also keep in mind that I'm hardly an expert, but I'm not exactly running blind. I actually chose the Loki Zero based on looking for a middle ground between power and cost and being willing to sacrifice being able to run the latest AAA title du jour if I could at least play indies and classics. It's actually replaced my Switch as my go-to handheld for indies and classic games, though I still use my Switch for exclusives and the odd game that can't run as well on my Loki Zero. Seriously, a native Switch port of Far Cry 3 would probably run better than the PC version the Loki Zero.

And before you ask... I chose Windows over ChimeraOS because I play a lot of games (mostly itch.io stuff and fan games) that natively run on Windows and I didn't know if ChimeraOS could run Windows games (via WINE or something similar) and if so which ones would work and which ones wouldn't.

And as for my Gaming New Year's Resolutions for 2024:

* Finish the RGB30s for my nieces. I'm (hopefully) really close. I just gotta scrape the huge bulk of PS1 games I threw on there, tweak settings for certain games, test many of the Saturn and Dreamcast games, etc.
* Finish the PlayStation Classics that I got to hopefully give to my niblings a few years ago. I'm going to give one to my brother as soon as he finds his own place. The other's probably going to my uncle.
* Get back into making custom and fake game covers. My only issue was only being able to do front covers since back covers require more than just slapping a few art assets together (such as a logo and official art, like from a wallpaper image).
* As an extension of my non-gaming resolution to start a YouTube channel, I'd LOVE to put together a video detailing a proposal for a video game idea. There's my ideas for a Jem and the Holograms platformer in the vein of Shantae, a 4v1 asymmentrical horror game based on Are You Afraid of the Dark (think Dead by Daylight for the E10/T-rated crowd and with more to set it apart than just a new art style... right, Identity V?) or even just how I'd do a Call of Duty Zombies standalone release on Switch (tl;dr is basically a compilation of past Zombies maps).
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

...honestly, I just want to finish more games, especially on the Genesis and Switch. I saw My Life in Gaming's New Year's wrap up and thought picking 10-games to get through in a year sounded sort of cool. I'd also like to get more family game time in w/my wife and kids as well. The last thing on my list isn't really a resolution or goal, but I've been going back and forth about jumping into the SNES or grabbing an Evercade, hopefully I'll pull trigger on one of those this year.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Remember when I talked about going back to making custom and fake cover art? Well, I hop you all like fake cover of 8/16-bit adaptations of recent (like in the past 25 years, give or take), because that's what I did recently.

I really want to conjure up an NES Catan cover, maybe in the style of NES Broderbund releases. And maybe the odd Santorini fake cover, or even Dungeon!, and the exclamation mark is part of the title if you didn't know.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

About half of my Steam wishlist are "coming soon". Some of the rest are over $60, and those stragglers that I could buy are not worth buying at that price.
I don't play games, but nobody can convince me to not buy games. I've bought games accidentally for 3 different systems a few times. No Regurts.
My second Steam account that runs on my server computer is lacking. Some untraceable problem with the hardware makes it Kernel-fault crash every few days, but every other hour when someone is gaming on it. It's annoying enough to stockpile a new set of all the computer parts so it can be gutted and replaced sometime this year. I've been lacking the spare parts for a good computer anyway.
I will gut and replace the server tower so second LAN player won't rage so much by computer failure regularly.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

What if Broderbund made adaptations of Catan, Carcassonne and Santorini for the NES? This is what I think they'd look like.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

REPO Man wrote:What if Broderbund made adaptations of Catan, Carcassonne and Santorini for the NES? This is what I think they'd look like.

This has fuck all to do with this thread.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

alienjesus wrote:
REPO Man wrote:What if Broderbund made adaptations of Catan, Carcassonne and Santorini for the NES? This is what I think they'd look like.

Actually...

REPO Man wrote:* Get back into making custom and fake game covers. My only issue was only being able to do front covers since back covers require more than just slapping a few art assets together (such as a logo and official art, like from a wallpaper image).
marurun

Post by marurun »

REPO Man wrote:
alienjesus wrote:

Actually...

REPO Man wrote:* Get back into making custom and fake game covers. My only issue was only being able to do front covers since back covers require more than just slapping a few art assets together (such as a logo and official art, like from a wallpaper image).

You have a separate thread for that. Put them there. Here is not where they go.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.