Games Not Beaten 2023

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Re: Games Not Beaten 2023

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

Phantasy Star II

Wow these dungeons are really tedious! Story didn't interest me at all. I didn't feel like I had much control over the combat. And it's slow!
Phantasy Star IV was really good, though. Should I try Phantasy Star 1 on the Master System?

By the way, I did beat Just Cause 3. Yay for podcasts like The Back Page and My Perfect Console : P
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

RobertAugustdeMeijer wrote:Should I try Phantasy Star 1 on the Master System?

Yes. 1000 times yes. It’s awesome.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Phantasy Star II is the worst of the original four. So slow and repetitive. Part four is the fanciest and most technically competent, one is the coolest and most fun overall, and three is underrated.
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Phantasy Star II is the worst of the original four. So slow and repetitive. Part four is the fanciest and most technically competent, one is the coolest and most fun overall, and three is underrated.

I think there's a really quality core inside PSII somewhere, it's just REALLY dragged down by baggage. I think if the game were basically given a retro remake it would be a truly fantastic game.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The Sega Ages version on PS2 isn't bad and irons out some flaws. Still, the game retains the inherently annoying late-game dungeons.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

I haven't given up, but damn, I'm having a tough time finishing Stage 6 in Shinobi III on the Genesis! It's the level where you have to double jump from falling rock to falling rock. My timing for the double jump maneuver just isn't totally correct, as I'm not always able to execute it when I have to. I had this same issue when trying to finish the game in 2019 and thought I'd try to tackle it again, but still can't get through this section!

Even though I'm having a tough time with it, the game is still awesome, with impressive graphics, a great soundtrack, and fun and challenging gameplay.
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

GrimGrimoire OnceMore

RTS games seem to be a challenging enough genre as it is, then you compound that with how poorly they translate to consoles and it is why you rarely see them outside of the PC gaming space.

GrimGrimoire OnceMore is everything you'd expect of an RTS game on console. Clumsy, clunky, sloppy control interface and UI that just doesn't work, coupled with the usually high difficulty of the genre just makes for a game that is not fun to play. The other thing that tends to annoy me with RTS games is how slow and tedious everything is. Oh, you need more mana. Oh, you don't have enough units yet to mount that assault. Oh, you can't do that yet because you have to level up your base. Oh, you have wait a few minutes for your base to level up. Yawn. You spend so much goddamn time just setting up things, only for the enemy to launch an assault and destroy half your stuff in the blink of an eye.

Fuck this game.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Vanillaware has only ever made two great games, 13 Sentinels and the remake of Odin Sphere (the original PS 2 version sucked). Everything else I've seen from Vanillaware sucks and is overrated, including Dragon's Crown and GrimGrimoire OnceMore
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Raging Justice wrote:I'm becoming increasingly convinced that Vanillaware has only ever made two great games, 13 Sentinels and the remake of Odin Sphere (the original PS 2 version sucked). Everything else I've seen from Vanillaware sucks and is overrated, including Dragon's Crown and GrimGrimoire OnceMore

Muramasa: The Demon Blade rules. It needs a HD port to a system other than the PS Vita…
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Post by Raging Justice »

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk

Another overhyped game propped up by worthless journalists and media influencers. I've seen maybe 4 or 5 HONEST reviews talking about the flaws of this game while everybody else is like, "INDIE GAME OF THE YEAR!", "BETTER THAN JET GRIND RADIO!, "A MASTERPIECE", "JET GRIND RADIO IS BACK BABY!"

Everything from the city areas to the characters (with their awful designs) to the awful story to even the soundtrack feels like a pale, shallow imitation of Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio Future. The only legitimately awesome thing in the game is these guys:

Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

I removed Grand Theft Auto IV for the Sony Playstation 3 this evening!

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City is one of my Top 10 Favorite Games of All Time. And GTAIII is probably Top 20. I loved the series on the PS2 and I was very excited to play a new entry for the first time in over a decade. I know they changed a ton, but I did not realize it would be that much of a radical shift. Almost everything changed in the game and I kind of felt like it was all for the worse. First of all, almost all of the music is terrible which was my favorite aspect in Vice City. Almost all of the missions are these cover based shooting missions, so they drag on and on especially if you have to do them multiple times. They changed the control scheme, but they included the original controls to help out. That helps, but I never felt like I had a good grasp on the controls, especially during the gun fights. Your character has a cell phone and it never stops ringing or sending text messages. The driving felt different. Also, the story was fairly terrible. It lost all the fun of the previous games as each person is just a terrible human being.

Overall, the game is not fun to play and I began to wonder why I was playing the game in the first place. For me, personally, I will leave and remember GTA as a PS2 only series.