Oldest 'hidden gems' & 'best of' lists.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Oldest 'hidden gems' & 'best of' lists.

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:
nickfil wrote:I think its valuable information for an article and not for a "heres what to play" list. Something like that needs context to be understood, and only someone who is looking for that context is going to enjoy it.

The "Defining" series of articles are very much more articles than "what to play" lists. At least that's the way I've approached any work I've done on them.

Correct -- Defining I've been tending to lean towards historical impact and what gave the platform its personality. Not everything has to be what sold the best. And some inclusions can also be ones that made more of an impact after the initial retail run (but those are typically a minority)
marurun

Post by marurun »

I totally agree that a "Must Play Titles (that still hold up today) for XX System" would be a great new category of articles.

Also, I totally need to rewrite the Defining Games for TG-16 article. I went to take a look at it and was both impressed with my writing and also constantly cringing at my writing and sometimes mistaken data.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:I went to take a look at it and was both impressed with my writing and also constantly cringing at my writing and sometimes mistaken data.

Happens to me all the time!
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

marurun wrote:I totally agree that a "Must Play Titles (that still hold up today) for XX System" would be a great new category of articles.

Also, I totally need to rewrite the Defining Games for TG-16 article. I went to take a look at it and was both impressed with my writing and also constantly cringing at my writing and sometimes mistaken data.

Most of the new articles on other sites about retro games fall into the "Is ____ still worth playing today?" category. For some reason reading articles like that still hold my interest where most of the hidden gems and best of lists I pass on.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

For what it's worth, I don't 100% want to focus on long-term retro fans, but also try to be useful for those that are newer to the hobby as well :)

But I'm kickstarting this new "Essential" concept in this new thread for the Genesis/Megadrive viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53839
RobertAugustdeMeijer
24-bit

Post by RobertAugustdeMeijer »

In Edge #122 (April 2003) they had an article called "This is Hardcore". Their criteria: "... titles whose values define what extreme electronic entertainment is about ... examples of the form that exemplify it at its most compelling."

I've added an *** to games I think would have been considered 'hidden gems' at the time. And a single * to ones I'm not so sure.

OutRun
Advance Wars
Alien Soldier
Bangai-O *
Card Fighters Clash ***
Chrono Trigger
Shinobi
Cosmic Smash ***
Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram ***
Twin Hawk *
Super Mario Bros.
Elemental Gearbolt ***